GO!

Best food to fatten up a pommie?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Bubby

Mama\'s little- man!

Barked: Mon Jan 17, '11 12:34pm PST 
Well, we made it safely to Sunny southern California! And yesterday we went to a pommie adoption event and brought home a new brother for Bubby! His name is Loki and he's less than half the size of Bubby. His foster mom said he was 4-5lbs but needed to gain weight. He's a good eater from what I've seen, he is just very slow. He's been well cared for and vetted since he came into the rescue's care but he's definitely on the thin side and I really want to know what foods would be best to bulk him up. He's about 2.

Bubby eats Wellness Core dry food. Loki seems to like it just fine but I hear the wet stuff is more fattening. Any other ideas?
[notify]
Todd

Get to close and- I just might- kiss you

Barked: Mon Jan 17, '11 12:43pm PST 
I just brought Todd home the 26th of Dec and he was under weight. I was worried about fattening him up too. I took him to the vets on the 30th and he weighed 4 lbs. I took him on friday and he weighed 5. I just fed him like the other dogs and he gained the weight. So my suggestion is to give it a little time and see if he doesn't gain a little weight naturally.
Love the name Loki I have one myself.way to go
[notify]
Satori

Will Pose For- Food!!!!!!

Barked: Mon Jan 17, '11 4:41pm PST 
Peanut butter!!! lol....Sartori loves it in a kong!!!1 TBL once a day..he gained too much weight!! I also second feeling him normally!! Good luck with your new little guy and congrats on making it safely to california!!!
[notify]

Bubby

Mama\'s little- man!

Barked: Mon Jan 17, '11 9:02pm PST 
I guess we will just feed him normally and see how it goes. Of course, I'll give him a few extra treats high in protein and see if that helps. We've only had him a day so I wasn't sure about worms but wormed him anyway to be on the safe side. He seems to have lots of energy and loves to play with Bubby. Bubby is over twice his size and little Loki kicks his butt laugh out loud
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Mon Jan 17, '11 9:09pm PST 
Sounds like he is adapting well congratulations on your new addition.cheercheercheer
[notify]
Bubby

Mama\'s little- man!

Barked: Wed Jan 19, '11 10:12am PST 
So Loki let me really give him a good rub and he is nothing but skin and bones frown

I'm feeding him canned puppy food, but he doesn't seem to want to eat much at all. I tried boiled chicken and rice and he will take a few bites and stick his nose up at it. BUT HE'S SO SKINNY! I'm going to be taking him to the vet here soon and I don't want them to think I'm starving him. Bubby is on the chunky side of normal and he's a GREAT eater. I've never had any problems getting him to eat, he will eat till he explodes but Loki doesn't eat much at all. I have no idea how I'm suppose to fatten up a pom that doesn't eat much.

Now, he has lots of energy and he doesn't seem distressed in any way, but its just very scary to me having a pom that is so insanely thin. I need to figure out how to fatten him and fast!!
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Wed Jan 19, '11 2:43pm PST 
Try putting a tiny sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top of his food. That stuff works wonders.
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Wed Jan 19, '11 7:33pm PST 
I thought the same thing about Todd. every bone in his body stuck out. But when I took him to the vet she thought his weight was ok.shock How much is he actually eating. And how much does he weigh? If he is a small pom like Todd he isn't going to eat as much as Bubby who looks to be a larger pom. Todd eats maybe 1/4 of a cup if that. And like Bailey says some nice stinky parmesan.
[notify]
Bubby

Mama\'s little- man!

Barked: Wed Jan 19, '11 9:43pm PST 
Bubby is a bigger pom. He weighed in at 12.5lbs as of last Thursday when he went in to be neutered. He eats a TON.

As for Loki, he's teeny compared to Bubby. When I pet him I feel every bone. His ribs(though it seems like there's some skin over them) his spine, and his hips. He just feels very boney and its hard to give him a good rub when he's got no meat on his bones. I got him to eat 1/2 a cup of hamburger meat today. Maybe a little more. He doesn't even want to touch his kibble or canned food and now I'm frantic. He will pick at the food all day and slowly eat it, of course its hard to feed him since Bubby will devour any food that is in his reach.

I tried the parmesan cheese and he didn't like that either. It's starting to become upsetting. The only thing I can get him to eat is hamburger meat. He doesn't even want chicken. But I'm glad he's eating SOMETHING. How long will it take for him to start filling out? This is driving me crazy.

Oh and he's very skittish. He's frightenned by sudden movements, and if you go to pet him he shys away. He's starting to slowly come out of his shell though. He sees me loving up on Bubby and seems interested in participating. I try to move slowly, avoid eye contact and be gentle. I'm not sure what kind of situation he came from but I hope he gets use to us soon. But it's wierd. When you're laying down he will randomely just jump on the bed or couch and curl up with you. And when I walk away he will follow me. But when you go towards him is when he darts away. How do you fix this?? And the eating problem... thinking
[notify]
Todd

Get to close and- I just might- kiss you

Barked: Thu Jan 20, '11 2:27pm PST 
Todd is the same way. I got him on the 26th of dec and already he has improved. He weighed 4lbs on the 30th and by the 14th he weighed 5. When i brought him home he crawled on his belly everywhere. Start treating him when he comes near you. I get down on the floor with him a lot so I'm not towering over him. He is already much more confident and playing and seems happy. Very cuddly too. He still kind of runs away if you walk towards him. but in time I'm sure he will get over this too. Lots of praise and patience. He'll come around. Almost sounds like we have the same dog. Luckily mine will eat kibble though. Maybe feed him separately from Bubby.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3