Postings by Bradley (Service Dog)

GO!

(Page 1 of 29: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Has your dog ever gotten sick in public?
Bradley- (Service- Dog)

pleasedontpetme.- com

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 12:51am PST 
Unfortunately, yes. Bradley got very sick when I was inpatient, in a hospital. Fortunately, it was not a part of the hospital where patients were any more susceptible to health problems than anyone else in a public environment. It was a total fluke! He started vomiting uncontrollably and, fortunately, my husband was there to help with cleanup and bring him home immediately. One of the primary nurses caring for me was more than understanding, as it was clearly not anyone's fault. She expressed that she's dealt with far more extensive icky situations than that.

I certainly wish that wasn't an experience that we would have been faced with, but am grateful to the hospital staff for their sensitivity and compassion.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Brycone , Apr 3 3:28 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Are Therapy dogs allowed into public place's???
Bradley- (Service- Dog)

pleasedontpetme.- com

Barked: Thu Dec 15, '11 2:34pm PST 
It's important to clarify that no dog, including a service dog has "public access rights." Service dogs, who are trained to assist people with disabilities do not have access rights. Rather, it is the person, who is protected against discrimination, who has the right to be accompanied by his or her service dog.

Handlers of therapy dogs are not covered by the Americans with Disabilities act. This means that there is no law requiring a public accommodation to allow a person to be accompanied by a therapy dog.

Unless there is a legitimate, therapy related, reason for being there, a therapy dog should not be brought into any public accommodations that don't normally allow pet dogs.

Work with the certifying organization you're training under, so they can give you direction in your training efforts. Good luck!

Some information about the differences between Service dogs and therapy dogs (as well as Emotional Support Animals): pleasedontpetme.com/differences.php
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, Dec 22 10:44 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Need Guide Dog Link!

Bradley- (Service- Dog)

pleasedontpetme.- com

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 10:17am PST 
I didn't mean to imply that SS dictates the ADA or vise versa. It is, however, a resource that spells out the criteria for legal blindness, which is applied across the board, in other contexts.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Nov 28 4:39 pm

Bradley- (Service- Dog)

pleasedontpetme.- com

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 9:57am PST 
I figured out why my entire post wasn't showing up. I used a character that was being recognized as code.

"Coming in late here but...

The Social Security website specifically defines legal blindness as 20/200 vision or worse in the better eye or a visual field of less than 20 degrees. While that isn't specifically referenced in the ADA, the definition of legal blindness is standard.

An opthamologist can examine your vision and, if applicable, give you documentation as proof of legal blindness. Because blindness is the only disability that has a finite definition, having documentation is not unnecessary. Of course, you are not required, by the ADA, to present such documentation to gain access to places of public accommodation. However, having the documentation can be helpful, if not necessary under specific circumstance, like applying for disability benefits, getting services from your state services for the blind, etc.

Guide dog schools will also require prospective students to be legally blind; some even have stricter requirements for students to have significantly worse vision.

All this being said, there is no way that someone who is legally blind can drive. Furthermore, it would be illegal to do so."
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Nov 28 4:39 pm

Bradley- (Service- Dog)

pleasedontpetme.- com

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 9:56am PST 
Coming in late here but...

The Social Security website specifically defines legal blindness as 20/200 vision or worse in the better eye or a visual field of
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Nov 28 4:39 pm

Bradley- (Service- Dog)

pleasedontpetme.- com

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 9:55am PST 
Coming in late here but...

The Social Security website specifically defines legal blindness as 20/200 vision or worse in the better eye or a visual field of
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Nov 28 4:39 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Ollie and Iris on TV

Bradley- (Service- Dog)

pleasedontpetme.- com

Barked: Wed Jul 27, '11 6:21pm PST 
I haven't watched the whole show, but from what I saw, it looks great!

I've done two local TV shows with a friend and it's so gratifying to see that others have such interest in learning more about service dogs, in such a public forum.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Kai, Aug 7 7:59 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Room checks??

Bradley- (Service- Dog)

pleasedontpetme.- com

Barked: Tue Jul 26, '11 10:44am PST 
I haven't read the other responses (I probably will after I reply), so I may be covering something already mentioned.

Bradley does room checks for me, as it directly mitigates a symptom of my disability. I trained him to do so (...individually trained...") by using two different methods that were recommended to me by other service dog handlers, as well as a friend who trains police K9s to do house searches- of course the search is conducted in a benign manner, without any aggressive response. To Bradley, it's just as much of a fun game as any other task is. To me, it's the difference between functioning and not.

ETA:
Bradley also turns lights on. I actually have him just turn the lights on more often than I actually have him do a full search. Whether or not I have him do lights or a search depends on my condition, at the time or whether or not someone else is with me.

Bradley does searches both for intruder paranoia, as well as hallucination discernment.

I prefer to keep exactly what he does and his method of indication private.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 26 11:13 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Please Don't Pet Me

Bradley- (Service- Dog)

pleasedontpetme.- com

Barked: Tue May 3, '11 4:38pm PST 
I am SO happy that Please Don't Pet Me has come as far as we have! We have tons of wonderful people in our little community and it gets better each day!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bradley (Service Dog), May 3 4:38 pm

Raw Food Diet > Rumbly in his tummy
Bradley- (Service- Dog)

pleasedontpetme.- com

Barked: Thu Mar 31, '11 9:24pm PST 
Thank you, you two!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mississippi, Apr 4 8:23 pm

(Page 1 of 29: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.