Postings by Aster

GO!

(Page 1 of 88: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > How do dog breeds have a innate personality
Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 5:22pm PST 
I have had 19 labs and a Lab/Golden. All of them were bred to be service dogs. I also see many more in the programs. When you sit a dog for 2 weeks, you get a good look at it. They also have much the same socialization.

Yes, I do see many similarities in them, but many differences too. I would never tell somebody they could count on a Lab puppy growing up to have a certain trait. Some of ours have hated the water. One wouldn't eat enough to keep his ribs hidden. He was forever counter surfing, looking for some paper or plastic to shred. He would leave the meat and take the wrapper or a twist em. Some even at a year old, could hardly be left in the house unsupervised unless crated. Others are fine even at 3-4 months.

Oh, I had a Shepherd that loved strangers. The dog guide school kept her as breeding stock and I think at least one daughter from each litter.

I do have to admit Tux was the cliche of a male Golden.

So when I see a flat statement that a certain dog will be a certain way because of its breed, I doubt the person's experience.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Mikey, Jan 16 10:26 am

Food & Nutrition > hI i need help pls my puppy does not like to eat ((
Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 4:55pm PST 
Pick a food and stick too it. If the dog never did eat very well, and has seen the vet since the problem existed, you may be over feeding it. A vet check still won't hurt. Many dogs will snarf down more than is good for them and look for more. Others refuse to eat more than than they need. Evaluate the dog as illustrated in this link, http://www.longliveyourdog.com/twoplus/RateYourDog.aspx You may want the vet to confirm your judgment. Adjust the dogs food and exercise as needed to reach its ideal body condition. Some German Shepherds and other breeds may refuse to eat enough to completely hid their ribs. As long as you are feeding a concentrated, meat based chow, the best thing is to accept it.

The worst thing you can do is to bribe a dog with rich foods into eating more than it needs. Instead, Put down the dish with what the dog should eat, and give it 15 minutes to eat. Then take it up. Do not give it anything to eat until its next scheduled meal. In a few days, it should be eating what it needs. Continue to check its ribs and adjust the food as needed. This is not easy. I had a Shepherd go 3 days on a few nibbles. I was a wreck, but she was fine. It is almost unknown for a healthy dog not to eat what it needs. Unfortunately, in too many cases, it is less than the package says, and less than the owner thinks the dog should have. Many dogs are quite good at holding out for tastier chow. Like kids, sometimes it calls for tough love.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by UKC Ch Endless Waltz de Nanrox, Jan 16 2:19 pm

Dog Health > How would you feel if this were your vet's policy?

Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 4:53pm PST 
I don't know. It was a fecal before a procedure when my vet caught Aster's whipworms.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Sarah, CW-SR, CW-G1, CGC, Jan 16 11:43 am

Dog Health > Has anyone ever changed vets?

Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 4:51pm PST 
I have been going to the same vet for over 30 years. My biggest concern is that he may retire. When she was a working dog, Aster developed colitis. It is tough to diagnose. The vet her partner was using at that time was letting her waste away. Finally another friend and I bundled them up and hauled them 300 miles to the dog guide school clinic. I think Aster had to stay there a couple of weeks, but they found and fixed the problem. Not long after that she started taking Aster to the vet we use. Of course I continued him after Aster retired and came to live with me.

I think he is too quick with the needle, but he has done a very good job finding and fixing the parasites that cause loose stools. No vet is perfect. He has a very good record of diagnosing problems and prescribing effective remedies. He is near by and the prices are reasonable.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kashmir ♥ CGC, Jan 14 6:20 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > College and service dog

Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 2:02pm PST 
Where my son in law finished up his degree, they were very friendly about the puppies they were raising at the time. When he graduated, they were between puppies, but we had one. She attended his graduation and some receptions and was quite well accepted. We also took a puppy to our daughter's graduation at another school. It was always puppy friendly, our puppy group was allowed tours. Never a problem at another university where our daughter spent the last 2 years of high school at a residential academy.

I don't want to be offensive, but in general, the better educated the group, the fewer problems we have had with our puppies. I will say in a farming community, people know enough to keep their hands off working dogs.

Like most other aspects of service dogs, academic acceptance of a puppy will depend on individuals and state and local laws. Nita was welcome at the robotics exhibit at Carnegie Mellon. I really don't ever remember a problem at a school. At least not after I told the manager of auditorium at the local, church related university, that we took Tulip to church. All our puppies have been welcome there since.

Service dog school puppies are an entirely different class and often not specifically addressed by the laws.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Drifter, Jan 25 8:21 pm

Dogs and a Clean Home > Pet-Friendly Flooring in Living Room
Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 1:41pm PST 
I think some of the factory finished hardwood laminate does stand up to dog toenails. I have been very happy with the finish I put on our real oak floor over 10 years ago. It has stood up to years of young Labs and their friends and family. Over Christmas, we had 6 dogs in the house.

I used a moisture cure urethane, Rexthane from Sherwin Willims. It is expensive and hard to find, and all I could find was an ultra high gloss. For all its terrible smell, it goes down as easily as anything else and dries quickly. Put down a couple of coats one day and move the furniture back in the next. Read the label, follow directions, especially the part about good ventilation. Oh, skip the part about ''Not for residential use.'' Do not confuse a moisture cure urethane with stuff like the urethane oils Minwax sells.

No I am not on Sherwin Williams payroll. It is just that they were the only ones I could find that carried the stuff here. It is something I learned about when I worked as a chemist for Ashland Chemical.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Milton, Jul 30 9:30 am

Food & Nutrition > Sawdust, not really

Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 1:24pm PST 
In doing a little research, I found that powered cellulose is added to grated cheese to keep it from caking. Very early in this thread, I suggested that is why it may be in dog food. I don't need cellulose and can't digest it. It may reduce the stress in my life if when I go to shake a little cheese on my spaghetti, it comes out.

One huge advantage of kibble is the ease with which you can carefully measure out exactly what you have found keeps your dog in good body condition. If a little finely ground celery strings helps with that, fine. I doubt a little talc would hurt either.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Farley, Jan 17 1:07 pm

Food & Nutrition > Switching from puppy formula to adult formula for two 9 month old pups

Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 1:07pm PST 
At this point, it makes little difference. Their growth will be slowing as they approach their final adult size, even if in the past it was more rapid than best for developing joints. Also at 9 months, they should now be able to excrete harmful excesses of calcium.

It is best to avoid rapid growth in large breed puppies. Most all life stages foods are a good option after 4 months. The most important things are keeping the calcium below 1.5% and keeping the dog lean. I don't think Huskies are as prone to over eating as many breeds.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Aster, Jan 14 1:07 pm

Dog Health > Vectra 3D Ingredients?

Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 12:58pm PST 
Fats will destroy some finishes. Natural has nothing to do with safe.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 14 3:02 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Newsworthy?
Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 7:48am PST 
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Dogs_in_the_News

An owner trained dog preforming what could be a life saving task? At least it will help educate people that dogs can do more than guide the visually impaired.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sabrina 2000~2012, Jan 14 8:44 am

(Page 1 of 88: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.