GO!

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel > Puppy Willfulness? Stopping during walks!

Hayley Jane

Born on- Halloween,- Nickname PUNKS

Barked: Sun Mar 15, '09 11:41pm PST 
I have a darling 4 1/2 month old Cavalier, Hayley Jane, who exhibits a very strange behavior, of every time I take her out for a walk, there is at least five or six times she will stop short, sit down and just look at me. As if to say, "I don't feel like walking", or "What the heck are we doing?" or something like that...If I lightly and happily say her name, sometimes she will come, or I might give her a treat, and then she'll come, but it's pretty persistent and pretty bothersome and sometimes I just (gently) pull her along until she starts walking again (we have a harness, so hopefully this is not hurting her). Is this normal? Does anyone else experience this? Could it be that she is actually tired or doesn't want to walk? (this would be a FIRST among dogs that I've known). She did break her leg 2 months ago, but has been out of the cast now for almost six weeks, is not limping at all, NEVEr shows pain in that leg, and runs like crazy inside with the ball, and when she 'gets going' on a walk, everything seems to be fine. It's just so odd with the sitting down...she'll mostly do this at first, but also when we are quite a long way along with the walk. So I'm just baffled and wondering if this happens to any other Cavalier owners...Makes me feel like why invest all this time in walking her if she doesn't even want to?! Advice please! Thanks!!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , May 4 10:35 am

Dog Health > Persistent Cough AFTER Kennel Cough
Hayley Jane

Barked: Sun Mar 15, '09 11:11pm PST 
I have a 4 1/2 month old Cavalier King Charles who came from the breeder with a bad case of kennel cough. Like someone else I'm reading here, the vet put her on Clavamox (no appreciable improvement), then Zinequin (after three days I stopped it because I read this affects growing puppy bones, they said this problem only happens to larger dogs, but I didn't want to chance it, especially since the poor kid had broken her front left leg in the meantime and was in a splint, so "bones" were important!), with no improvement after two more weeks, we then put her on Zithromax...and that (I guess) got rid of it...however, every morning since then (and quite often through the day) -- and this is now 2 months and one week after the onset Jan 6!! -- she has a deep, phlegm-y, intense cough -- upon waking, I can hear the rattling of congestion deep in her little chest going back and forth -- she stands, she coughs and I gently try to pat her sides, and she will then hack this up -- sometimes she even spits out the phlegm (foamy and white)..and it is driving me crazy. No vet seems to be able to explain this or tell me what to do about it. I don't want to use more antibiotics and I'm worried that I did. Any ideas or advice? She is otherwise VERY healthy - great appetite, great energy, very alert, lovest to learn tricks, affectionate, etc. This only happens very badly in the morning and it just bothers the heck out of me! Is she ruined for life?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 15 11:11 pm

Dog Health > ROBBERY. Absolute robbery. [rant!]

Hayley Jane

Barked: Sun Mar 15, '09 11:01pm PST 
I believe the local "animal control" does this service for $50 or so. The pound, animal rescue, other places like that...not sure how great the quality would be but I am curious myself. My dog will need to be spayed in a couple of months and I am worried about the expense too.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Mar 18 12:13 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.