Postings by Sarge

GO!

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

Saint Bernard > My dog acts like he is constantly starving.
Sarge

Give me a hug or- else!

Barked: Tue Jun 3, '14 2:04pm PST 
Best answer: Listen to your vet.

My smart a** answer: Nearly all dogs behave this way. FOOD FOOD FOOD FOOD. puppy

Advice: Get a dog dish with baffles. It is meant to slow down eating during mealtime. I don't think it works too much because we bought such a dish for Sarge. He still eats fast but we think it slowed him down some. It's just in dog nature. We have three different kinds of breeds and they all act that way.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Zeus, Jun 8 10:24 pm

Saint Bernard > Joint Supplements
Sarge

Give me a hug or- else!

Barked: Wed Apr 9, '14 8:20am PST 
way to go

I'm glad people were able to help. I know nothing about the subject. I'll be watching topics like this if my big buddy starts developing issues.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sarge, Apr 9 8:20 am

Saint Bernard > Dog is bored and drags behind owner on walks.

Sarge

Give me a hug or- else!

Barked: Mon Mar 3, '14 7:43am PST 
Skyping him... I love it.

I was thinking something similar but I completely over thought the solution. I was thinking a Raspberry Pi with camera module and Python programming scripts to detect motion, add a microphone module etc...

Skype... simple.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sarge, Mar 3 7:43 am

Saint Bernard > My Saint is a pawer

Sarge

Give me a hug or- else!

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 9:12am PST 
ok that is just stinking CUTE!

My wife and I took Sarge for training. They did the "Shake" (like shake hands) command for fun but wasn't part of the real curriculum for testing. They told us we can opt out of the "Shake" part because we wouldn't want Sarge's huge catchers mitts swiping us. He didn't do it naturally. From the few responses here, I'm guessing Sarge is in the minority there?

We eventually taught him "Bones" like 'shake' or fist bumping/pound it. He mostly gets it. He gets praise if he swipes after I stick my hand out and say "Bones".

I have to correct him if he gives me "Bones" when I don't ask for it. I test him by sticking my hand out and saying nothing, or saying other words like "Car", "Refridgerator", or something.

You might want to try something similar with your dog. MAYBE it will work. Eventually, he'll come to understand that he shouldn't swipe unless you ask him to.

I'm working on a similar problem with Sarge. He gives paw/shakes/bones fine, but he swipes the back screen door when he want's to be let in. I have to camp the back door and open the door and correct him right away when he does it. I'm not making any progress on this. It can be frustrating.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Duchess 7/21/03-1/14/12 Love U, May 4 12:03 pm

Saint Bernard > Saints play biting

Sarge

Give me a hug or- else!

Barked: Mon Dec 16, '13 1:27pm PST 
Every situation is different but generally it is a great idea to stop that behavior as soon as possible. Saints are big ol' teddy bears but they still have huge heads and a powerful bite. You don't want any injuries or issues. You don't want to have your family member (Dog) taken away due to a slip of behavior. Something like that would be heartbreaking. Just compare that to how much fun it is to play wrestle/bite with your dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sarge, Dec 16 1:27 pm

Saint Bernard > someone help me with my two saint bernards
Sarge

Give me a hug or- else!

Barked: Mon Dec 2, '13 12:30pm PST 
a curt yet accurate response:
- training classes! Try a Petsmart or some local classes
- Get head collars like "Gentle Leader" or a "Halti"

You and your puppies will be happier. applause
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Moose, Dec 6 6:44 pm

Saint Bernard > Advice on growth rate for a St.

Sarge

Give me a hug or- else!

Barked: Mon Nov 4, '13 1:56pm PST 
just some quick tips:
1) trust your vet's opinion
2) search the "Saint Bernard" forum. In recent history, this topic has been covered many time.

way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bernice, Nov 19 7:49 pm

Saint Bernard > Ramps

Sarge

Give me a hug or- else!

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 9:22am PST 
My floorboard runners are low enough to the ground that big-boy just climbs into the back seat. I never thought of ramps before. Sounds like a great idea but I have a 2-door so not sure where I'd attach the ramp.

Plenty of head room, mines a convertible. He loves the wind whipping around his head. Car trips are fun!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bernice, Dec 17 7:34 pm

Saint Bernard > Separation Anxiety

Sarge

Give me a hug or- else!

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 9:19am PST 
laugh out loud Not laughing at anyone... The chewing just made me think of Sarge. Growing up he ate a flip flop, several toys, and TWO beds of his. He's not had a bed since. He'll be 5 in October and he doesn't chew things he's not supposed to nor does he eat household items anymore.

I might get him a third new bed for his birthday. He'll love it. I'm glad he won't eat this one, they are expensive.

in short, yeah I've experienced that before.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sarge, Sep 16 9:19 am

Saint Bernard > Hip dysplasia
Sarge

Give me a hug or- else!

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 7:17am PST 
I found this, hope it helps. It's a good starting point for research. You can zero in on topics by further googling terms/phrases in the link:
http://www.dogheirs.com/dogheirs/posts/2162-canine-hip-dyspla sia-symptoms-diagnosis-treatment-and-prevention

There is a lot of information in it. Here is a focus of the surgery your dog might receive:

Total hip replacement (THR) - consists of replacing the socket with a high molecular weight polyethylene plastic, and the ball with a cobalt-chromium or titanium metal alloy. Special bone cement (polymethyl-methacrylateis) is used to hold these implants in place, although there are cementless systems or combined systems that are employed as well. In essence, THR provides a dog with an artificial hip. A dog must have finished growing prior to this surgery, which is generally between 9 to 12 months of age. Generally, THR are placed in dogs weighing 40 pounds or greater. A dog with arthritic hips that has pain-free, normal function is not a candidate for THR. THR is an expensive procedure, but has a hight success rate. Dogs are found to be more comfortable and have an improved quality of life with over 90% success.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sarge, Sep 13 7:17 am

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.