Postings by Phoebe, CGC

GO!

(Page 1 of 127: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > So, what's in your food bowl today!!
Phoebe, CGC

I'm a Brussel- Sprout!

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 11:28am PST 
Last night - beef necks. Tonight - not sure - can't remember what I've got thawing out. smile
[notify]
» There has since been -3 posts. Last posting by Buster, Jul 27 5:49 am

Raw Food Diet > Are any supplements needed in the raw diet?
Phoebe, CGC

I'm a Brussel- Sprout!

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '12 11:58am PST 
Good grief! Any vet that feels Purina and Ceasar are the be all and end all in canine nutrition ought to lose his or her license to practice veterinary medicine, in my opinion. Clearly he/she has no idea what a raw diet even is, as evidenced by the suggestion to cook the meat. Cooked is, by definition, not raw. This "vet" sounds like a crackpot to me!

A balanced prey model raw diet, in my opinion, is going to be better for the majority of dogs than any commercial, processed food, and although some supplements may be beneficial, or even advisable, I don't think they are strictly necessary.

For what it's worth, my own raw fed dogs receive fish oil & vitamin E, the occasional dollop of coconut oil, a capful of Bragg's ACV in their water bowl about every third day, a probiotic more or less daily, and for several years that's been about it. Very recently, (maybe two months ago or so) I've started using Raw Prey Organic Animal Detox Formula and Answers Raw Goats Milk - both from The Dogma Online. Both are products that were recommended to a fellow raw feeding friend and I figured why not. I may or may not continue with these, but that's currently what we're doing around here.

I think your plan to keep on with what you're doing sounds like a fabulous idea! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jun 5 11:04 am

Food & Nutrition > Finshing food

Phoebe, CGC

I'm a Brussel- Sprout!

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '12 10:29am PST 
Bruno, my comment was more in response to Tiara's comment that it was in some way cruel to only feed a dog once a day, rather than with the idea of opening up some Pandora's box of a debate. Suffice it to say, that although dogs are opportunistic scavengers by nature, they (or rather their wolf cousins) are also well equipped to gorge and then fast, gorging when a kill is made and then perhaps not eating for a day, or even several days, thereafter. Bottom line, I feel that it's perfectly fine, and in my opinion, more natural, for dogs to eat once a day, and this is coming from someone who used to do two meals a day. My dogs are with me basically 24 hours a day five days a week as they come to work with me most days, and when they do, they receive the odd treat from me here and there throughout the day, as well as a morning snack, and their evening meal. Though they are always eager for their evening meal, they are by no means ravenous, and I suffer no pangs of conscience at the idea that I am "starving" them during the day. So I guess I'll just leave it at that.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Phoebe, CGC, Jun 3 10:29 am

Food & Nutrition > My 7.5 lb and my 8 lb Chihuahua

Phoebe, CGC

I'm a Brussel- Sprout!

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '12 10:19am PST 
1/2 cup a day sounds like way too much for dogs that size! Particularly if it's SD or Purina - all those fillers will put weight on VERY quickly!

I'm trying to remember back, but Phoebe, I think, used to get a little less than 1/8th of a cup of kibble in the mornings (before we switched to raw) with some premade raw at night, and her optimum weight is about 9.5 pounds.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Phoebe, CGC, Jun 3 10:19 am

Food & Nutrition > making soft food out of grain free kibble

Phoebe, CGC

I'm a Brussel- Sprout!

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '12 10:15am PST 
Yeah, definitely don't soak it for long periods of time, regardless of where. In a blender with some warm water or onion/salt free broth is your best bet.

You could also feed boiled chicken with brown rice or mashed potato (either white or sweet), scrambled eggs - pretty much anything bland and soft that you want. If it's only for a few days it really doesn't matter much.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Barney, friend of Lennox, Jun 4 5:44 pm

Food & Nutrition > Store said Diamond Food okay to purchase again?
Phoebe, CGC

I'm a Brussel- Sprout!

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '12 10:10am PST 
Sambo, that may or may not be true - (I don't think it is from what I've read and heard) but whether it is or it isn't, it would be a long time, if ever, before I'd ever trust another Diamond product, or any of the ones made in one of their plants. If I were you, I'd be looking for another food. Maybe if you tell us which product you were feeding, and what swayed you to that food (ingredients, cost, availability?) we could help steer you to another one that would meet your needs.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Lady (1999-2013), Jun 12 10:39 am

Food & Nutrition > Finshing food

Phoebe, CGC

I'm a Brussel- Sprout!

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 5:26pm PST 
Actually, it's more natural for dogs to eat once a day. Some raw feeders even do a once a week fast, where the dogs might get a recreational chew, some homemade seasoning-free chicken broth, and water. This fast day is usually preceded by a gorge meal day. Then again, some raw feeders don't do this, and I don't know many kibble feeders that do. Before I went to all raw, I used to feed a small meal in the morning (usually kibble with some kind of topper or something like Sojos or Honest Kitchen) and then premade raw at night. Now, they're on prey model raw, (we don't do a fast day) and they eat once a day in the evening, with a snack in the morning. (Of course, they go to work with me, so they'll get some small treats throughout the day, but even if they didn't, I would not have a problem feeding them this way.)
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Phoebe, CGC, Jun 3 10:29 am

Dog Health > Rescued a dog-

Phoebe, CGC

I'm a Brussel- Sprout!

Barked: Tue May 29, '12 2:28pm PST 
Thank you so much for rescuing this dog! I imagine that with some good care, and some healthy nutritious food, as well as vetting for whatever minor issues may exist, and he will be doing much better very soon!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Scruffy, May 31 6:30 pm

Food & Nutrition > Can't find any TOTW food, now what???

Phoebe, CGC

I'm a Brussel- Sprout!

Barked: Wed May 23, '12 12:56pm PST 
Huck, that's awesome that you're doing so well on Fromm! My sister and mom both use Fromm (in rotation) with their dogs and they seem to do really well on it. cheer
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Phoebe, CGC, May 23 12:56 pm

Food & Nutrition > Can't find any TOTW food, now what???
Phoebe, CGC

I'm a Brussel- Sprout!

Barked: Wed May 23, '12 12:42pm PST 
Gunner, two cats in a Canada shelter are reported to have died from eating Kirkland cat food, made in the Diamond plant. To Dora's earlier point, it is my opinion that no food manufactured by or co-packed by Diamond should be considered safe at this point. The recall is now no longer isolated to the South Carolina plant as it was originally reported to be, and if the problems are this widespread, it seems only natural to me that even now we do not know the extent of the problem(s).

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/vet-breaking-ne ws/2012/05/21/diamond-expands-recall-again-two-cats-dead.aspx
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Phoebe, CGC, May 23 12:56 pm

(Page 1 of 127: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.