Postings by Sally Beaker

GO!

(Page 1 of 19: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  

Puppy Place > How to correct a puppy when nipping??
Sally Beaker-

Professional- Bone Horder

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 3:59am PST 
It really sounds like your pup wants to play with you. When she nips, try yelping like a puppy. When puppies are young and playing with their litter mates, if one puppy gets to rough the other will obviously yelp. This usually gets the other to at least stop for a second.
The noise should be enough to distract your little girl so you can redirect her attention to something more appropriate, like a rope toy, other than your hands.
So, to recap: when she nips you, yelp. If she stops, tell her good girl and give her a toy to play with. I would pick something interactive, like a tug toy since she seems to want to play.
She should catch on that playing with a toy is was better than your hands. Good luck!
P.S. The bitter apple spray on your hands is a good idea too. wink
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sonny, Jun 27 6:36 pm

Food & Nutrition > how far do you drive?
Sally Beaker-

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 5:45pm PST 
I work in the city that has stores that sell my dogs' food. It's about 45 minutes one way. Luckily I can just pop on over to TSC or the Pet Boutique and pick it up after work though.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by ELVIS, Jul 19 7:06 pm

German Shepherd > I have a soft coated shepherd

Sally Beaker-

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 7:35pm PST 
I know there are different types of coats that shepherds can have.
Sally's background is pretty much like Sabi's. We think she's a GSD because she doesn't look like she could be anything else.
But damn, her coat is so soft and fluffy. I think what she has is called a "plush coat". She seems to have a lot more of an undercoat compared to my other GSD, Koda. She seems to shed a heck of a lot more than him too.
Koda's coat is much more coarse than hers and seems to lay closer to his body. So, I think he has a "short coat".
It's so hard to tell sometimes though, everyone always claims something different when it comes to GSDs.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Jul 6 7:01 pm

Food & Nutrition > Taste of the Wild

Sally Beaker-

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 4:37pm PST 
My dogs love the lamb formula! And I love that it's grain free for my two APBTs who have grain allergies. smile We've been on TOTW for about two years now.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Sandy Baby ♥, Feb 29 6:34 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Westminster is almost here... :)

Sally Beaker-

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 5:58pm PST 
Personally I was rooting for the GSD because I own two. silenced
But I don't like show lines. I think the sloped hips look unnatural. I prefer a GSD with a nice straight back. Looks much more natural and like the GSDs I grew up around.
Not trying to step on anyone's toes here, that's just my preference and what I feel the breed should look like. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Sarah, CW-SR, CW-G1, CGC, Feb 18 4:12 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Westminster is almost here... :)
Sally Beaker-

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 3:50am PST 
I wasn't surprised when the Peke won. But I was still hoping the GSD or the Dalmatian would have won.
I missed the show last year and I wasn't going to miss it this year! I had it set to record on my DVR. big grin
I was really happy that the AmStaff placed in the Terrier Group. My fiance asked me why they don't have American Pit Bull Terriers in the show ring. Anyone else know why? I can't say I've ever seen one in show either.
Also they did have some ads for adoption/rescue. I think it was sponsored by Subaru. I saw it so many times but I can't really remember it.
[notify]
» There has since been 35 posts. Last posting by Sarah, CW-SR, CW-G1, CGC, Feb 18 4:12 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Do you have a color preferance in dogs?

Sally Beaker-

Barked: Wed Jan 25, '12 12:03pm PST 
I love, love sable colored GSDs whether they're dark or light. I do prefer the lighter cream colors. I also really like the Panda Shepherd coloring. cloud 9
For Pit Bulls, I love the fawn coloring with white markings.
Merle colored Australian Shepherds = ADORABLE!
Although I would never own one, I love Harlequin colored Great Danes.
Also love tri-colors in Corgis and Bull Terriers.cloud 9
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Jan 28 7:30 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > For those of you who have adopted "strays"

Sally Beaker-

Barked: Wed Jan 25, '12 11:39am PST 
I fear that when Sally and I are out and about sometimes. She was found in a park by a couple of my friends. She was emaciated, full of ticks and very timid.
I'm pretty sure she was dumped off by someone given the state she was in but we alerted our local vet about her and asked around if anyone was missing a German Shepherd. No one claimed her.
I've had her for 5 years and if someone tried to claim her now, I don't think I could give her back.
[notify]
» There has since been 29 posts. Last posting by Murphy, Feb 10 9:53 am

Dog Health > Neuter Pets At Right Age For Gender

Sally Beaker-

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 3:33am PST 
All my dogs are spayed and neutered. I think the only one who was neutered at 6 months was Koda.
Molly was spayed at 5 years old and Sally at around 3 years. Benz was neutered at 1 year because of a cyst on his *cough* man parts.
I prefer my pets to be spayed/neutered but I don't think that young. The dogs I had growing up were all done at around 6-7 months of age.
I think when I get dogs again, if they aren't from a shelter/rescue, where they will probably have had that done already, I'll probably wait a bit longer to spay/neuter.
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Jan 30 5:11 am

Dog Health > Thoughts on groomers who do not ask for shot records...?
Sally Beaker-

Barked: Sat Jan 21, '12 8:35am PST 
I work at a daycare/boarding/grooming facility.
We require dogs to be current on rabies, distemper and bordatella for boarding and daycare. Grooming is just rabies and distemper.
We have kennels for the grooming dogs to wait in. Each has a nice rug and bowl of water in it. They also go out for potty walks.
We have some people get absolutely enraged when we tell them we can't take their dog in for grooming (or anything else) because the vaccinations aren't current. Well, it's to help ensure your dog's health and well being at our facility.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Stormy Puppy (Found a home!), Jan 25 10:12 pm

(Page 1 of 19: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.