GO!

Chow Chow > Hi All - Help Us Win

Merlin The- Blind Chow- Chow

The Only Problem- With Chows Is- People

Barked: Mon Nov 14, '11 11:13am PST 
Hi All

Please vote for one of our rescues!
This is Wookie. He's a rescue and if we win, badly needed funds will get to our rescue.
So please vote everyday until the 17th at:
http://fidocastingcall.ca/dogs/14755

THANK YOU!!!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 20 4:01 pm

Raw Food Diet > Teeth before/after raw, pics please :)

Barked: Fri Oct 29, '10 4:30pm PST 
Please don't be discouraged.
Most of the time it takes months and months to see changes in teeth that are heavily affected by stains and plaque.
Chances are that if it only took one week, then there was nothing wrong with the teeth to begin with.

Cheers
MM
www.RawPets.ca
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Oct 29 8:36 pm

Chow Chow > Chow Chow Meetup/Aug 24/ Augusta, Ontario

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 7:12am PST 
Chow Chow Meetup - Sunday, August 24 - 08 / Ottawa Area

Of interest to chow fanciers in the Ottawa / Cornwall / Kingston / Brockville areas, please come and join the Montreal chapter in N. Augusta, Ontario this Sunday.

Complete details at:
http://www.clubequestre.com/merlinshope/index.php?categoryid=20 &p2_articleid=44

Hope to see you there!
Let's meet and make some new friends.

Cheers
MM
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 29 4:26 am

Food & Nutrition > I'm against Iams...who's with me?

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '06 12:54pm PST 
You can count me in, although one of the main reasons to boycott the food is that IAMs does test on animals, including on dogs. I'd say that's a prime reason to NOT give them any $$$... let alone, it's not a very good food.
[notify]
» There has since been 39 posts. Last posting by , Mar 10 9:21 pm

Food & Nutrition > successful "raw" feeders, please read

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '05 5:15am PST 
Hi Jax

We have been RAW eaters for more than 6 years now.

thank you for taking the time to at least read about it.
Many people don't and the diet fails for them as they didn't take the time to understand the canine nutritional requirements for their pet.

It's not hard at all if you know and understand good nutrition.
It's no harder than feeding yourself , "nutrionally", the same way.

I have found that many people don't even know how to feed themselves properly, so how can they possible expect to understand good nutrition for their canine.

I'll agree that the RAW diet takes some getting used to, it's a little more involved then ripping open a bag of kibble, but the rewards are well worth it.

If you calculate the longterm $$ you'll save at your vet, the effort is well worth it.

We spend about 2.50$ per day to feed two dogs, so it's cost efficient also, but we don't buy any "pre-made" stuff (which can be expensive), we simply open the fridge door, pull out some meat, and sprinkle it with our veggie/vitamin mix. How hard is that?

My only complaint sometimes, is my kitchen floor, because MeiMei likes to eat her food.... all over the place.... but that's my only complaint.

I hope you manage to stick to your RAW diet.
It's good for the canine body and soul.

To answer your question (message above ours) - just cut your meat into daily portions and freeze the rest! There's no need to keep large portions of meat in the fridge for days on end.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 28 2:49 pm

Food & Nutrition > Raw diet - food safety question

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '05 4:59am PST 
Hi Baily

Ginger's very right and gave you some excellent links.

We have been eating raw for more than 6 years now.
there is no need to buy rolls, premixed raw things, becuase you have to be aware of what you are putting inside of yourself.

Raw meaty bones is all it takes, with a couple of supplements.
I have a sample diet at:

http://www.clubequestre.com/merlin/BLOG/archives/00000047.htm

I really hope you've done some homework so that you benefit from RAW feeding as much as possible. It's a perfectly, easy way to ensure optimum canine health, and it's as easy as opening your fridge door, and serving up some fresh meat.

To answer your question, if you find that your pieces of meat are too large, simply cut them into smaller portions and freeze the rest.

We freeze our portions in "daily sizes". Mom takes out a bag in the morning, and it thaws out by the afternoon.

In the Winter, we are usually fed outside, and often our fish is frozen (just like the eskimo dogs do).

After 6 years, our teeth have no plaque, we have lovely coats, and we're healthy!

Best of luck
Merlin and MeiMei
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 28 7:19 am

Dog Health > Dogs with Allergies

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '05 4:46am PST 
Hi Fab

Constant ear infections could be a sign of "yeast' infections , that is if you've ruled out a physical ear condition such as stenoctic ear canals (canals which are too small to shed dirt and secretions).

Yeast infections are generally a result of food.
Check your dog food. If it has a high content of soy, corn, wheat, then it is possible that you can't handle it!!!!

A change of food may be in order.

It's very unfortunate that more and more breeds are losing the capacity, (just like more and more Humans), to deal with their environment. We've managed to breed away important elements to help us deal with food, pollution and chemicals in our daily lives.

The yeast infection can become very chronic after a while and effect you for the rest of your life, and make your Humans miserable. Please look into it as soon as you can.

Health comes from within! You are what you eat!
There are several excellent links on my site, which will keep you up to speed about dog foods.

Best of luck.
Merlin
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jul 31 9:05 am

Dog Health > Puppy Acne

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '05 4:35am PST 
Boy do we ever know about acne, pimples, white heads and black heads. Some breeds are more prone to them than other breeds.

I get white heads along my lips in the Summer and my sister MeiMei gets funny, bald lumps near her collar line.

My Mom uses those teenager acne pads for my acne. Seems to work very well. She also spends a little more time, wiping my drool with a towel dipped in Hydrogen Peroxide.

My sister's acne is very different, so her funny hairless lumps are bathed with a solution of colloidial silver, or tea tree oil. They usually dissappear in about 3 weeks and all the hair grows back. Her lumps come out when there is alot of pollen in the air.

My Mom says it's important to clearly identify exactly "what" the lumps are, so that they can be treated properly.

Sometimes lumps are a result of an allergic reation too.
I could be something that's being eaten, or an allergy to something in the house. Acne, or true dog acne, looks alot like typical Human acne. Lumps, bumps are usually sometime else.

My Mom says to start checking what's going inside your tummy.
That may be the root of your lump problem. She also says that maybe you are getting too "hot under the collar", (pardon the pun), so check your collar, maybe there's something on it that your skin doesn't like!

Best of Luck
MeiMei and Merlin
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 29 8:24 pm

What I Love About Dogster > Everyone Is So Nice Here

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '05 9:32am PST 
Truth is we've met more people on Dogster than any other way possible. It's great. We've found owners very willing to ask questions and so far it's been real fun. You'll enjoy it too!

MM
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 12 4:36 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.