Page Links: 1  2  

Choosing the Right Dog > For Your Consideration
In Loving- Memory :- Liberty

April 2, 2008 - April 15, 2009.

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 4:54am PST 
My cat approves. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 4 4:54 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Alyssum's Wisdom Panel results: .... Really?

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 4:07am PST 
Those DNA panels are not accurate, they're not even intended to be accurate. They're just novelties. I've known registered purebreds that came back with bizarre results. Part of this is because of the close similarities between dog breeds and they don't yet have an accurate enough database to test against. So while those are fun, I wouldn't put much faith in them.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 4 4:07 am

Choosing the Right Dog > finding a good Giant Schnauzer breeder?

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 4:01am PST 
Not sure about breeders in Canada, but I did quite a bit of research on them when I was considering adding one to my home. Unfortunately, I was not very pleased with the selection of breeders & lines personally... The fancy is fairly over-saturated with stock from what is essentially a glorified show mill.

There is one breeder I've looked into, on recommendation from an acquaintance in another breed, who I would go with if I did decide to get a Giant Schnauzer puppy in the future. And that is Black Diamond Kennels Giant Schnauzers in Colorado, a member of the GSCA. (unfortunately, the previously mentioned mill is also a member of the GSCA).

(NOT to be confused with Black Diamond / Touch of Class miniature schnauzers. Which is an unrelated BYB).
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Feb 2 3:41 am

Puppy Place > funny things that scare your pup

Barked: Fri Dec 26, '08 7:14pm PST 
I could care less about the coyote's howling or even seeing them.
Don't care about the deer.
Don't care about the rabbits or the way they scream when the coyote gets them.
Don't care about the turkies.
vehicles. kids. loud noise. The base loud speaker system, ect. Nothing.

But good Lord, when the Owl starts hooting at night... It scares the heck out of me!
[notify]
» There has since been 64 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 6:36 pm

Food & Nutrition > Pedigree?

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '08 1:24pm PST 
I eat Evo Red Meat. Very good food.

As mentioned, mom seconds the Dogfoodanalysis.com website. They rate the foods based on their content and nutritional value. And list the ingredients and provide a content nutrition review for most foods.

And to those who think their dog is in tip top shape on foods like Iams, Eukanueba and Pedigree... Put that theory to the test.

Make a folder for your current food. Its ingredients and nutritional value. Take thorough pictures of your dog and make notes of every detail:

Level of activity and Stamina and performance, weight, hight, Appetite and response to feeding times, condition of coat (shiny/dull/brittle/dander/soft/excessive shedding), skin conditions? Blisters, rashes, ect... Physical appearance? Alert? Chubby? Bloated? Messy/teary eyes? Frequentcy of non-routine vet trips? (Colds, Illnesses, ect.)

Then switch to a more nutritious quality food (Like Innova, Evo, Blue Buffalo, Solid Gold, ect.) and document the same details after a month or so of feeding. And do a week by week analysis.

See if you notice the differences.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Oct 19 8:00 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > I am at a loss Casey gets poops from every dog food

Barked: Mon Oct 13, '08 9:24am PST 
You can mix plain cooked rice or plain pumpkin into their kibble to firm up their stools. (Make sure its PLAIN pumpkin or rice. No seasoning or spices.)

And its not uncommon for dog foods to give a dog loose stools during the first week or so of use, especially if the change is quick. So be sure you're giving their stomach bacteria time to adjust to each switch and really see if its doing anything for them or not.

As for the meat, you don't have to boil it. And if you do, consider cooking rice and giving them some of the (cooled) meat stock (the juice) as well.
And you can give them raw veggies, raw or cooked eggs, ect. also.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Oct 22 2:10 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Substitutes for Dog biscuit recipes?

Barked: Mon Oct 13, '08 9:18am PST 
Ok, So I have Grain allergies. ESPECIALLY to wheat products.

And I want Mom to make some dog biscuits for me. Since they save better as snacks on trips than boiled egg and raw beef cubes. And the bags of Evo biscuits don't last long. hehe

But nearly every recipe is either super stinky (liver) or has grain products in it (wheat flour, ect)

So what substitutes can Mom use in the place of ingredients like wheat flour? Is potato flour a reasonable substitute?

Or if you even have a complete grain free biscuit recipe, care to share it?

And how about dog-friendly frostings? She knows about cream cheese, but what other frostings or frosting recipes, that will set firm, can she use?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 5 10:01 pm

Food & Nutrition > Nutro Ultra - is it really that bad?

Barked: Mon Oct 13, '08 9:11am PST 
Congrats Griffy.

If your dandruff doesn't clear up, you could try adding a raw egg or salmon oil into your food every other day. They're good for your skin and coat. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 13 9:11 am

Puppy Place > what breeds have you been mistaken for?

Barked: Thu Oct 9, '08 3:01pm PST 
Min Pin
Border Collie
Rottweiller
Purebred Doberman
APBT

I don't get it.
[notify]
» There has since been 83 posts. Last posting by , Mar 30 9:01 pm

Food & Nutrition > Getting ready to go grain free...

Barked: Thu Oct 9, '08 2:48pm PST 
Grain free is fine for most pups.

Evo red meat, which is what I eat, is listed as being for all life stages, puppies included.

It is still speculation as to whether or not high protein foods (and as a result, supposed increase in speed of growth) are the leading cause of Pano. And its a theory that it increases speed of growth to begin with. As dogs from the same litter can be fed the same thing and grow at different rates or different foods and grow at the same rates.

For example, mom managed to track down three of my litter mates. The female eating Purina is larger than I am. And the male eating California Natural is about the same as her. And the other male, who is on raw, is about the same size as me. It depends on the dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 9 2:48 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.