Postings by Lilly

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Behavior & Training > A Dogs Sixth Sense? I could of been hurt...
Lilly

Do I smell food?

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 8:24am PST 
Oh wow, I'm also glad you're ok! Reading your story was like watching a scary movie.confused Good dog Buck!

I fortunately haven't had anything that scary happen but my dogs have "alerted" me to certain people before. I know all their different barks very well by now so I know when to pay attention to what they're saying. Kaya gets a very ferocious sounding deep growl bark when there's something to be aware of and Lilly's bark gets higher and more shrill as she gets more intense. Although Kaya's bark sounds much more threatening and she has the stigma of being protective just because she's a GSD, she can also being sort of a scardy cat about things she's unfamiliar with. So it's really hard to say if she would stand between me and a bad guy, but I think she would. I know for sure Lilly would, she's sweet and very laid back and shy most of the time but I know that if it came down to it she would definitely have my back.

One time (before Kaya) Lilly and I were walking on a trail during the day and there were two high school age boys coming toward us on the trail. They didn't seem like as much of a threat to me as just up to no good, probably not where they were supposed to be(they were supposed to be in school I imagine) but as they passed Lilly growled and lunged to the end of her leash and snapped her teeth at them. I was very suprized. I had never seen her do that before and I do believe if the leash hadn't stopped her just a few inches short of the one kids arm she would have chomped him.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lilly, Nov 18 8:24 am

Behavior & Training > How do you feel about dogs chasing laser pointers?
Lilly

Do I smell food?

Barked: Tue Nov 11, '08 9:31am PST 
I would hope you wouldn't get too much slack for it, it's your page. I say put it up and if you get too many comments you can always take it down again. Sounds like your pups aren't obsessed over the toy, so I don't see anything wrong with that. I think it totally depends on the dogs personality, not the toy itself. I have a laser pointer for my kitten and Lilly will chase it a little bit every now and then but isn't that interested in it overall and Kaya doesn't want anything to do with it so I don't worry about using it to excersise my kitten.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Alva BH, Feb 6 11:37 am

Behavior & Training > Guaranteed to get a laugh!

Lilly

Do I smell food?

Barked: Thu Oct 30, '08 12:41pm PST 
laugh out loud The name of this post was spot on.

Lilly's default trick is "spin" I've been trying to teach her the "back-up" command and she's having a hard time understanding what I want so she just spins and spins and then if I still won't give her the treat she grumbles about it.
Also, if we tell her to do something(like sit or lay down) and she really doesn't want to she "coincidently" gets an ich that needs urgent attention. I tried giving her the benifit of the doubt the first few times but now I know it's definitely her ploy to TRY to get out of listening. And sometimes if I tell her down she'll make it seem like she was going to lay down on her own anyway by doing a play bow type dramatic stretch and then eventually get her back half to the floor. We just can't help but laugh and roll our eyes sometimes even though she's being naughty by acting so bothered by us telling her to do something.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Trixie Bean!, Nov 1 8:12 pm

Behavior & Training > should I try a prong collar..major puller here.

Lilly

Do I smell food?

Barked: Mon Oct 27, '08 9:46am PST 
Daisy, we also decided on the prong collar as a last resort for Lilly. We tried the over the muzzle gentle leader and it left a gash on her muzzle. We tried a harness and it seemed to make her want to pull harder. We finally gave in and tried the prong collar and that's what worked for her. Like others have said the trick is to use it for training her how to walk on a leash and stay by you and not pull so that eventually you can walk her with her regular collar and she will have learned how to walk nicely.
Make sure the collar is the right size. I'm not a trainer or an expert of any kind I can just tell you by experience with the collar. For Lilly, we made sure the collar has enough slack that when she's not pulling she does not feel the prongs on the front of her throat at all so that she relaxes when we relax the leash, but tight enough that when you pull the collar tight the two ends should meet at the back of her neck so that even pressure is applied all the way around. Also, there's NO need with that kind of collar to jerk the leash hard just slow your pace or stop completely and apply the pressure by pulling steady on the leash. You shouldn't have to do it hard if the collar is fit properly. And of course pay close attention and as soon as she does what you want, relax the leash and praise. Again, I'm not a trainer this is just what worked for us.
Good luck way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Oct 27 6:52 pm

Sports & Agility > Scent tracking?

Lilly

Do I smell food?

Barked: Thu Oct 23, '08 9:21am PST 
Thanks Droopy! We do have a harness for her but we stopped using it for her because she would pull so hard on walks, but this makes perfect sense then for her to use it during tracking. That way she can keep her nose to the ground and not worry about the collar pulling her head up away from the scent. I have high hopes for this working for her because she's always sniffing and she will do just about ANYthing for a treat.big grin

Also thank you Hermione for the book recommendation.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Silence, Oct 25 9:57 pm

Lilly

Do I smell food?

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 1:11pm PST 
That's awesome Gio, thank you very much for the tips. The treats on the shoes thing will definitely work with her. I can't wait to try that this weekend way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Silence, Oct 25 9:57 pm

Behavior & Training > thoughts on boarding a reactive dog

Lilly

Do I smell food?

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 12:58pm PST 
If you're going to board him, just make sure you really research the kennel he'll be staying at especially if he has "special needs". Get references and ask around about how people like the facility to make sure the staff is very professional and experienced.

We now take our girls to a family that does boarding out of their home and the dogs get free run there. But we have also used kennels in the past and those places kept them in their kennels for the most part. The last kennel we boarded them at was the same place we took them for daycare and it was problem free for almost 2 years. The owner always talked our dogs up telling us how good they were all the time. But the last time we left them there for a weekend we went to pick them up and a new girl we'd never met before was there. She said we had a problem with Lilly. My first thought was she got sick, but then the girl says she bit me and holds out her hand with a bandaid on it shock Both of our jaws hit the floor. Lilly is 4 yrs old and she has never bitten anyone before. Then right away the girl says I called the owner and her policy is Lilly can't board here anymore after a bite. So I aske what happened and the girl says well Lilly was being anxious and barking after I let her out of her kennel(mind you, they'd been in there basically all weekend) so I decided to put her right back in and when I tried Lilly growled at me so I grabbed her collar and tried pushing her in and that's when she bit me. Does anyone else see a problem with this? I know, not the point of the thread....

Anyway, I apologize for the long story but my point is no matter what problems your dog has or even if your dog has never had any problems you still want to make sure the people you're leaving him with know what they're doing so they can handle any situation that may come up. That is more of a concern than worrying your dog will feel abandoned. As said previously, he will just be so happy to see you return for him.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by ACE, Nov 8 9:55 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Our Sweet Hannah

Lilly

Do I smell food?

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 7:42am PST 
I'm sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful dog. little angel
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Ruby, Dec 4 9:43 pm

Lilly

Do I smell food?

Barked: Tue Oct 21, '08 9:39am PST 
Thanks Gio, do you know where to find scents and how to lay them? What kind of scents do you use? We went to petsmart thinking they would have stuff for that but they didn't.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Silence, Oct 25 9:57 pm

Lilly

Do I smell food?

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 12:45pm PST 
Lilly is a lab/beagle mix. Even though she looks most like a lab she still has the long beagle ears and howls like one. She also has excellent sense of smell. I've been wanting to see about getting her involved in scent tracking because she doesn't really like to do anything else. She doesn't fetch or swim. She doesn't really run much in the yard or even at the park. She would much rather mosey along with her nose to the ground. The other day at the park I wonder if someone else had been doing some tracking with their dog because all of a sudden Lilly was running, which is rare, and her nose never came more than a few inches from the ground and she seemed to be following a scent trail.

Anyway, I would love to find a way to get her more exercise and also just for her to have fun.
Does anyone know how I could start training her?
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Silence, Oct 25 9:57 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.