Postings by Tucker

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Siberian Husky > Husky Size
Tucker

Don't know who- dug that hole,- Mama!

Barked: Tue Dec 2, '08 10:05am PST 
I've posted a few recent pics at the bottom of the profile, even one of him being a lap dog! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Luka, Dec 9 7:26 am

Tucker

Barked: Sat Nov 29, '08 7:04pm PST 
Thanks for the responses. I too have questioned Tucker's Pure Bred status just based on size. Our vet doesn't and after doing a lot of research I am inclined to think I was barking up the wrong tree on that one(though it is possible he has a horse somewhere in his family tree-after all my research also pointed out that a quarter breed animal can have very few obvios traits of its quarter ancestor-in Tucker's case if he has some non-husky other than size there is no other obvious trait). In any case, while I would never rule it out, based on his registration and being able to trace his lineal ancestors at least on paper and the fact he is a Husky boy in every other way, I have rather accepted he is a large pure bred Sibe. Though I would not care if it turned out he wasn't to be completely honest, I wouldn't love him any less.

I will have to get some recent pictures up and try to find some with something in the background that gives an idea of scale. I took him into the vet on Wednesday as he hurt his nose poking it through a fence at Doggy Day Care...and the Vet assured me that other than taking up more space on the Couch there were no added health concerns. He reiterated that he did not believe he was through growing yet. I am kinda hoping he will top out where he is and just fill out a bit more.

I understand what you are saying about the sled, I have read in the last day or so that Sibes are meant to be fast, athletic and eat very little in return for the amount of energy they put out. Ironically, while tucker is as big as one of my previous Adult German Shepherds a female named Heidi, he is much more active than she was even as a puppy, yet I believe he probably eats less too. Kind of astonished me, he goes through a big bowl of puppy chow every couple of days (he seems to have a light eating day and a heavy eating day..ie he nibbles at it day one and then woofs it down day 2...we put more down and he ignores it and cycle repeats) -Vet told us with his breed he should free eat as Husky's are generally self-regulating feeders, if he gets fat we can reevaluate this, but until then he should be able to eat when he wants. I give him some food on the side, some chicken there, his salmon treats, and other dog treats as well, but his main staple is his puppy chow as I have been told he needs this for the first year or 18 months by the vet. I need to check for sure, I am sure it was at least a year and I believe he said 18 months. Anyway, drifted from the subject, but by reading some Sibe history, I kinda understand now why they are meant to be medium sized dogs that are fast, athletic and don't require a lot of fuel in proportion to the energy they expend doing their job.

Well will wrap as I have a huge gigantic husky in my lap. He is sick today as I mistakenly gave him too much turkey and it has not agreed with him so he is very pathetic, clingy and thinks he is a lap dog. Even though of course only his gigantic head and front paws fit in my lap. Anyway, if I go now I might not strangle him as he really doesn't want me paying attention to this computer right now and one more howl in my ear will break my eardrum. Will compromise and take him for a walk, he will like that and give him a chance to use the bathroom a few times on the way. Lesson learned for both of us...too much of a good thing (Turkey) can be bad...well at least I have learned it...he'd still chow down if I put some Turkey in front of him!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Luka, Dec 9 7:26 am

Tucker

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 11:35am PST 
Tucker is a nice AKC registered Siberian Husky. He seemingly meets all the show dog requirements for his breed, save for one.

He is Gigantic!!! When we bought him last April I did not know a lot about Husky's, and expected him to be a German Shepherd. All the haters out there...hold your tongues...Tucker has long since explained to me his is not a German Shepherd, but a Husky in all his glory, high energy and all. It was a mistake to buy him knowing so little at the time, but I have since learned and would not undo this mistake for a million dollars...well maybe for one dollar when he is hiding my shoes in the morning to keep me from leaving him...but..

Here is the thing he is about almost 8 months old now, we have had him for about 7 of those months. His Dad weighed about 110-120 lbs (not fat, just a well proportioned large Husky) and his mom weiged about 65-70lbs I am told by the breeder.

Well at 8 months Tucker is 80lbs, when an adult Sibe should only be about 65lbs as a male. The vet says he isn't through growing yet, he gets bigger weekly...almost daily (I swear, sometimes he has grown a foot during the day, though I know he hasn't).

My questions are for those that have raised a lot of Sibes...is there anything I should worry about with him growing to be so large..he is on schedule to be as big as his daddy. Are there any health concerns?

(Note, I didn't say fat, you can look and tell he is well proportioned, looks like a healthy Sibe, if I posted a picture without reference he would appear just fine. He is just huge.)

I know what the breed standard is, but is it really unusual for a Husky male to get this big? Or is it common and just not a desired trait?

Also, if you were to use them for sled racing, wouldn't you want them big? Note Tucker is never going to pull a sled, he lives in Arkansas and is happy pulling his Mommy around on a leash smile

The second two are for information sake, but the first is there any health concerns for an oversized husky that I should watch for as he grows and ages? That is the one that most concerns us.

He is a very friendly, unagressive, loving Husky...just a Big Hyper loving puppy.

Tucker's Dad
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Luka, Dec 9 7:26 am

Siberian Husky > Outside Dog?

Tucker

Barked: Fri Sep 19, '08 12:52pm PST 
I have heard chicken wire. They say if you bury it around the permiter of their fence, when they go to dig and they hit the wire they do not like it and won't dig in that place anymore.

I have pondered this, and will probably give it a try as I do not like other alternatives such as wireless fences and shock collars triggered when they get too close.

Thus far however, we have been lucky. Our Puppers can leap about 6 feet now in the air at about 7 months old. So pretty much if he wanted to, I fear he might be able to get over the 6 foot privacy fence by leaping, catching it with his paws and scaling it. I believe folks when they say Huskies are escape artists, I have watched him in action plot his moves carefully in order to get out of an open door for a romp in the front yard or neighborhood, or hatch a well concieved plan to get in the car to go for a ride when one of us leaves.

To our luck so far, one good thing about getting him at 5 weeks old is that we have taught him that gates and fences mean NO and he won't or as of yet has not attempted to go over them. He just knows he is not supposed to and doesn't *crossing my fingers this will last...he is a husky after all and always in some kind of mischief) thus our 2 1/2 foot baby gate he has had ever since he was a pup is enough to make him stay in a room and the outside fence is enough to keep him in the yard. *Knocks on Wood* Really ironic when he gets excited and goes from a standing position and leaps over our couch in a single bound....but he knows he is not supposed to cross a fence or a baby gate and just doesn't. Hope it stays that way.

As for the digging...that concerns me enough I am going to try the chicken wire..though he doesn't dig under the fences...

He is trying to dig up a 40 foot oak tree!!! I expect to come home and find it resting on my house any day now...but that is another story...
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Elektra, Sep 24 6:05 am

Siberian Husky > winter coat or adult fur?

Tucker

Barked: Fri Sep 19, '08 12:39pm PST 
Tuck is akc purebred Sibe and you kind of described what happened as he went from that soft baby fur to a more adult like coat. The darker hairs (they are red but were initially very dark to look almost black against his really red puppy coat), well the darker hairs just started one day poking out and within a short time he had his duel layer husky coat with the real soft white fur underneath and the darker more coarse red protective fur on top. He looked kinda funny for a week or so during the transition process..I remember worrying that something was wrong!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tucker, Sep 19 12:39 pm

Siberian Husky > Can huskies have curly tails?
Tucker

Barked: Fri Sep 19, '08 12:34pm PST 
So does Tuck. From what I have read they are supposed to, you can go to the AKC website and get what the standard curl of their tail should look like. If it matches that description I certainly would just say it is typical. Tuck's Tail curls up on his back when he is running, jogging, prancing (he loves to prance around), just kinda strolling...it tends to get straight and goes down between his legs a lot when he becomes alert and when he gets tired and is about to lay down it often gets straighter.

Also, I have read that the tail is designed by nature to help keep them warm when they ball up in a frigid environment, they put it over their face after burying themselves into the snow or whatever to keep the wind off and the heat in. Not sure, but some of the folks that raise huskies or race them might be able to confirm or deny this...I just have tucker and what I can read about Huskies myself.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Sep 30 11:34 pm

Siberian Husky > Are they all like this?

Tucker

Barked: Fri Sep 19, '08 12:27pm PST 
Tucker is now almost 7 mos. And you have pretty much described him. Though at about 6 mos he got so that he would go off and sleep on the kitchen tile when he gets real tired and leave us in the living room, but when awake and active he generally wants to be right beside his people.

One way to get him exercise is for his Mama to go into the bedroom and for his dady (me) to stay in the living room. Heh...he wears his self out trying to be with both of us going back and forth!

Don't know about all Sibes, but Tucker is a very needy puppy...he wants companionship and to be with his people constantly.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Luc, Jan 17 11:31 am

Siberian Husky > Why do Huskies howl?

Tucker

Barked: Fri Sep 19, '08 12:15pm PST 
Tucker talks, and talks and Howls!

He just sometimes joins in on the conversation and starts talking, but he loves to Howl the most I think.

He howls when he is lonely, he howls when he is happy, he howls when a song on the radio comes on that he really likes (no accounting for taste but he loves that Miley Cyrus song that goes something like) 'last time I freaked out...something something...she's just being Miley" (we have been working on Metallica so he doesn't embarass me in public by bursting out in song to Miley, but Tuck definitely has his own taste in music sadly) and he will Howl along with Miley and woo woo during the parts where she is singing rapidly or fast. Anyway, I joke with my niece who loves Miley that it is because she is hurting his ears, but truth is his tail is wagging the whole time and he doesn't try to leave...he likes it *sigh*.

If I am playing rock band he will jump up and happily come in the room and get next to the mike and howl and sing along with me, so much so we started our on Wii Rock Band called Husky's Howl. Yeah, we have never even made it through the first song without getting booed off stage, but it doesn't phase Tuck!

In short, at least Tucker howls when he is sad, lonely, happy, excited, wants to sing and sometimes just because he wants to with no other reason for it!! And he loves if his people will join in and howl with him! I do...I am sure the neighbors think we are crazy, but he does have a beautiful wolf-like howl!

Tucker's Dad
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Nov 18 10:03 pm

Behavior & Training > How do we calm him down?

Tucker

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 11:45am PST 
He gets LOTS of exercise. We don't exactly have land-skis or anything, LOL, but we take long daily walks/jogs and play outside a lot...he's a big fetcher.

This is not a constant thing by any means, it's only when he sees people besides my husband and myself. This is literally the only thing that causes this level of excitement. He could be dead tired from exercise, and my father walk in the door and he's bouncing off the walls.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Henry Miller, Sep 11 12:31 pm

Behavior & Training > How do we calm him down?
Tucker

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 11:01am PST 
When I say Tucker loves people, it's almost a gross understatement...he LIVES for people. When we have visitors in our home, or take Tucker out to friends' homes, he jumps on them, jumps into their arms, faces, licks their faces, runs from one end of the house to the next, jumps over very large things like ENTIRE couches, coffee tables and other furniture, runs around in circles, etc. It's the most amazing sight I've ever seen! All of the commands and rules he knows vanish completely when he gets excited like this and my husband and I are at a loss for what to do. All we know to do is take him away from the situation. We've tried keeping him on a leash when he sees these new people, but his excitement creates a strength that either rips the leash from our hands, or jerks our bodies around. He's so big (60 pounds at only 6 months) that we are afraid he'll inadvertently hurt someone. ESPECIALLY children! I'm 6 months pregnant, and trying to contain his excitement is dangerous for me as well.

Do you have any suggestions? We hate to keep him away from these situations all the time, because they will be unavoidable at times and we love Tucker and hate to keep him from something he loves as much as people...besides, we MUST get this under control before the baby arrives. We are currently on the look-out for a new trainer, so we're going to have to go it alone ourselves in the mean time.

What can we do?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Henry Miller, Sep 11 12:31 pm

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.