GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Puppy Place > We don't know the breed of our dog.
Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 12:15pm PST 
What does she weigh?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Feb 26 8:50 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Mellow but happy breed suggestions?
Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 12:10pm PST 
Our next dog we'd like to go with a 3-5 year old because we want it to be out of the puppy stage.

We have a quiet, mellow house with 2 adults and 2 cats. We do have a yard for a dog to run and play in, but it must be OK being an only dog. We take the dogs out for 2 1/2 hour walks a day and play with it inside or out.

Preferrably cuddly, even velcro, loves everyone kind of dog. Happy go lucky. Not barky/yappy.

All my dogs have been labs until Mr Blue. He was perfect because I got him when he was 5 and he was very nanny like to my cats, never chased them. However he was a little too alpha for my taste and I could never take him anywhere where dogs would be.

I love labs but would ideally like to stay under 50 lbs. Sometimes I think I should just hold out for a small lab smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 25 2:46 pm

Behavior & Training > shy dog is now obnoxious attention seeker

Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 12:27pm PST 
Are you aware of the Nothing In Life Is Free method? When you teach them they need to sit and/or do something else before they get ANYTHING they want, be it attention, food, going out, whatever. You have to stick with it forever, but once they learn, if you ignore them, they usually sit (because you will then give them lots of love and attention, consistently!).
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 13 10:47 pm

Behavior & Training > Teaching an Adult Dog How to Play?

Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 9:40am PST 
How long have you had her? I had Mr Blue for a few months before he would play. He would look at bones and watch me throw toys. He was never a big player, but eventually would start chasing what we threw and shaking it. He would like to wrestle on the ground with us up until the month we lost him. I think it just took time for him to truly feel at home and relaxed and able to be a dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Feb 7 11:02 pm

Behavior & Training > Fixed male dog peeing in house.

Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 5:42pm PST 
Is he fixed? If not he should be. He also needs to know who the boss is. That means using the "Nothing In Life Is Free" method (google it). You go through all doors before he does and then invite him. He is not allowed on ANY furniture unless invited. On walks he is not allowed to sniff and mark every 2 seconds.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Feb 1 5:36 pm

Behavior & Training > Teaching to not cross the street
Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 10:34pm PST 
Um, is walking your dog off-leash even legal where you live? It's not here and I get very upset when people do it.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jan 30 6:36 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Adoptions at Petsmart?

Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 6:21pm PST 
The dogs that are going to Petsmart are probably listed on petfinder.com. I just adopted Saturday. I looked at the dogs on petfinder and asked the rescue if I could meet one of them. They said to go to Petco. I went, my application was approved, and I adopted her. This particular rescue has a 2 week trial before it's finalized because all their dogs come from pounds and they don't know everything about them.

A lot of the dogs are being fostered in homes. That's a great way to learn more about the dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Feb 16 2:41 am

Behavior & Training > Peeing in crate - newly adopted

Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 5:18pm PST 
Forgot to answer your other question. She whines a little in her crate at bedtime but then goes to sleep. She hasn't destroyed anything when she peed in there. One time there was a blanket and one time a soft toy, she didn't destroy either.

I don't know if she whines when we leave because we put her in the crate with something she likes and she's still chewing/licking it when we leave. I'm sure she does though. But when I've returned and let her out, she's been quiet so far.

She is currently confined to the livingroom and dining room and whenever we get up to go to another room she has to get up and watch, wait for us to return.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Feb 14 10:37 pm

Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 5:10pm PST 
She has not been checked for a UTI, but she does have tapeworms. The rescue sent me meds for that in the mail today.

She has not peed in the house, only in her crate the two times we left.

This morning I took her outside when I woke up, no pee. I took her on a walk after she ate, no pee. My boyfriend let her out a few hours later, and she finally peed after a lot of walking around.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Feb 14 10:37 pm

Mr. Blue

I'm not blue at- all!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 4:07pm PST 
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has had crate issues with newly adopted adult pets. Of course the rescue said she is "crate trained," but it's not going that well just yet. I pray to god this is only because she has only lived here for 3 days and she's still adjusting but I'm quite nervous that it's a bigger issue.

She is about 3 or 4. She seems perfect outside the peeing in the crate. I've crate trained puppies before and tried to do a fast version for her, thinking it would be a breeze since she was crated at the rescue. I keep it out, taught her to go in it for treats, shut the door and left the room, ignore her when I open the door, feed her in it, and she sleeps in it through the night. But we have left the house with her in the crate twice, both times for under 3 hours, and she peed both times.

Yesterday the crate was in the living room and I thought maybe the cats were agitating her. So today we tried taking the blanket out and put the crate in the bedroom, that didn't help. She just laid in her urine. When I open the door she seems very stressed, she runs around and wants to run around to the side and back of the crate inspecting it.

I know a girl who just adopted a retired Greyhound. She too thought it wouldn't be an issue as Greyhounds grow up living all day in their crates. But she had to give up and keep the dog in a room with a baby gate while she works. I'm afraid to try that just yet for her safety and my cats' safety.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Feb 14 10:37 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.