Postings by Cracker

GO!

(Page 1 of 310: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Very, very serious situation
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 2:51pm PST 
I am so so sorry about what happened to you. You loved Mikey and did what you could, it is very likely there was something seriously wrong with him and you made the right decision, for him and for you. I hope you have someone to come and be with you...the shock will start to wear off and you are going to need support. Hugs. You made the right decision.
» There has since been 61 posts. Last posting by Mya CGC TDI, Jan 3 8:07 am

Behavior & Training > 7 month old Puppy - barking at night (outside)
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Wed Nov 2, '11 6:19am PST 
Vision likely has a lot to do with it, many dogs are more "alert" and reactive at night or during dawn and dusk. She also could be going through a fear period, as it is common to have one around 6-8 months of age.
Continue with classical conditioning and keep the walks short if you can to see if you can just work through the phase.
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Pippa, Nov 2 8:37 pm

Behavior & Training > How to react to a dog biting?

Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Sun Oct 30, '11 7:16pm PST 
Clarity is important. Examples are good. I did not say that long posts are bad, nor did I say that that short posts were necessary. I said Tiller's last paragraph said it all.
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Bernadette 02/05/04 - 09/25/08, Oct 31 2:57 pm

Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Sun Oct 30, '11 2:23pm PST 
I put this back as it was, because it is not necessary to REMOVE all off topic posts unless they are not within the DOgster guidelines. The reason I posted was to get BACK on track, not to spend the next hour editing the whole thread. Let's please be considerate of the mods and flag what is truly inappropriate or not in the spirit of Dogster.
» There has since been 11.8 posts. Last posting by Bernadette 02/05/04 - 09/25/08, Oct 31 2:57 pm

Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Sun Oct 30, '11 2:08pm PST 
Thanks for getting back on track, everyone.

Keeping it simple and short helps, too, Tiller your last paragraph was right to the point. Let's hope Kyan returns to contribute more. I am interested in how her pup was acting shortly after the incident.
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Bernadette 02/05/04 - 09/25/08, Oct 31 2:57 pm

Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Sat Oct 29, '11 5:43pm PST 
Hi all, this is my "official" mod post. Please make an attempt to get back on subject here, this is a thread on what to do when in a certain situation. Not a discussion on what grouping the groendendael falls under..move on please.
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Bernadette 02/05/04 - 09/25/08, Oct 31 2:57 pm

Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Thu Oct 27, '11 7:39am PST 
That's a scary thing to have happen, regardless of breed and dogs at vets are often under stress so things can happen very quickly. My first reaaction would be to check my dog for injuries and then after the other dog had left be sure to tell the vet what happened so that they can speak to the owner of the other dog. It is important for the vet hospital to make a note in the file as well, so that next time the receptionist can let other clients know to move away when that other dog is leaving or arriving.

If I had the chance to speak to the owner it would be to ensure that she knows she needs to find a WAY to control her dog and to be smarter about the size and strength of it. I would not blame the dog here, or the breed.

As to your Kyan. Watch him carefully (his body language) with other dogs and work accordingly if you think he is becoming fearful or reactive. He MAY just brush it off. You may also want to watch for changes in his behaviour regarding entering the vet's office and do any classical conditioning necessary to prevent it getting worse if he shows fear of the "place".
» There has since been 34 posts. Last posting by Bernadette 02/05/04 - 09/25/08, Oct 31 2:57 pm

Behavior & Training > Fearful - Is this just a phase?

Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Sun Oct 23, '11 7:54pm PST 
Yes, it is likely a phase or fear period. That being said, I do agree with the others who suggest using food and rewards to get him "over it". I see too many dogs that their owners assumed they would "grow out of" a certain behaviour and therefore didn't really work on it...who actually got worse. Fear grows roots.
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cracker, Oct 23 7:54 pm

Behavior & Training > HELP!!! Severe Separation Anxiety! I can't take it anymore!

Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Wed Oct 19, '11 4:04pm PST 
Sanka asked: "If this is only SA at a specific point in time, as in not all the time or a majority of the time, and the dog does in fact need meds to help in conjunction with other things, wouldn't benzodiazepines be better than SSRIs? "

Benzodiazepines can be useful for occasional use, I use them with Cracker for fireworks/thunder issues as over time she sensitized to them and gets extremely freaked out. But fireworks and thunder only occur here and there and during certain times of the year (holidays etc) and must be given BEFORE the event occurs. Dosing has to be carefully controlled so there is no ataxia. But the effect doesn't last long.
With SA, in a normal household we are talking most dogs being left each and every day for up to 8 hours at a time. I believe the OP also mentioned the dog is having issues even being alone at night in a different area of the house. To treat this dog with benzodiazepine would mean repeated, frequent dosings day after day. Since there are addiction risks, this would not be good for the dog long term AND it would be very difficult to maintain the desired anxiolytic effect.
A six week or so long treatment plan using a long term anxiolytic or SSRI ALONG with a carefully developed and managed behaviour mod program, which of course would include all the things mentioned in many of the posts: stability, exercise, mental stimulation etc has the best chance of succeeding without long term harm.

Just for clarification. I worked on Cracker's SA sans meds for over a year, made progress and then had a significant setback when a roommate moved out (very long story)..she started losing weight, developed stress induced anorexia (meaning kongs etc wouldn't help if I had to go out..she even left roast beef) and then her anxiety generalized to the outside world. Believe me when I said I did not go to pharmaceutical supplementation to the program without lots of research and lots of thought about the pros and cons.

The reason I mentioned meds in this thread is that the OP mentioned they had been using Diazepam already..which implies that there is significant anxiety present (not just separation distress) and that the veterinarian felt that pharmaceutical help was necessary.
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Oct 20 3:43 am

Behavior & Training > Has anyone used an animal communicator?
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Wed Oct 19, '11 7:00am PST 
I haven't used one. My neighbour has. I wouldn't mind doing it someday just for the heck of it and I've read a couple of books about it. I don't disbelieve it, I'm an energy worker (Reiki practitioner) so naturally have a pretty open mind..but yes there are charlatans and cons out there.
I think, personally, that regardless of the 'truth' about it..that if it helps the human try to understand their pet better and that it gives them comfort about decisions to be made about their pets..then I don't have a problem with it.
Whether there intuitions come from observing the pet, the owner or anywhere else...if it brings peace, it's not necessarily a bad thing. KWIM?
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cracker, Oct 19 7:00 am

(Page 1 of 310: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.