Postings by Chauncey

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

French Bulldog > Do Frenchies 'slobber' a lot?
Chauncey

I like 2 play- hard eat fast &- sleep lots

Barked: Tue Dec 9, '08 11:59am PST 
Chauncey has never slobbered. Very different breed than English Bulldogs in my opinion- in more ways than one.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Sep 22 9:40 am

French Bulldog > Flying a Frenchie in the cabin?
Chauncey

Barked: Tue Dec 9, '08 11:56am PST 
Chauncey has the standard Large Sherpa bag, which is 18'' by 11'' and supports up to 22 pounds. He fits snuggly- not as roomy or tall as he might like, but manageble. FYI- Anything bigger is probably going to have a tough time fitting under a seat aboard an airplane. Be careful with carriers with wheels- they also take precious space underneath the seat.

My vet advised against sedation- said it was unneccessary if the dog is "chill" to begin with. Said that the effects of the pill can last 24-48 hours after it's given.

Chauncey and his bag were never weighed during either of his check-ins. He was acknowledged, and charged for his flight, but neither attendents seemed concerned about his weight.

Good luck with your trip
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Ellie, Dec 6 12:39 pm

Chauncey

Barked: Thu Dec 4, '08 5:02pm PST 
Chauncey's cross country flight took place over Thanksgiving, and it was overall, a very smooth process. Here are some general observations that I made:

- We took Chauncey to a local doggie daycare the day before our red-eye flight. He was pooped, and ending up sleeping the entire 4.5 hour flight.

- None of the airports (LAX, ST. Louis, Dulles, Hartford) had any problem with Chauncey walking around the airport, out of his bag. It was nice not to have to extend his time confined in the bag, by allowing him more time around what must have been a very confusing place (airport) to him.

- The one layover that we had was in St. Louis. We had a 2 hour period between flights. Ample time for Chauncey and I to walk out of the airport, find a grassy area over by the parking decks, and allow him to do his business. We had to check through security to re-enter, but I think Chauncey appreciated the pit-stop.

- We didn't feed Chauncey the morning of our flight back. But that didn't stop Chauncey from somehow managing to find some food (our guess is that he got into another dog's food who was staying at our family get-together). This led to a bit of a gassy embarrassment for our one short flight. Nothing too awful, but Chauncey certainly let his prescence be known.

- We prepared Chauncey with a couple of long car trips in his Sherpa bag, and we left the bag out in the living room. By the time we were flying, he was very familiar and comfortable with the bag.

- We flew American Airlines. They honored our initial $80 each way rate (we made the reservation way back in March). They did inform us that they raised the rate to $100 per trip.

- The AA people never weighed Chauncey, nor did anyone ask to see his rabies papers. It was treated a regular process- no big deal at all.

- Chauncey never once barked or made a peep. He squirmed around a little bit at times, but this was more due to just trying to get comfortable more than anything else I suspect.

- Chauncey fit snuggly under the seat in front of me. I think he was comforted by having my feet right up against his bag- he made it a point to lay on them on each flight.

Please feel free to post any questions- I found this forum very helpful in preparing for Chauncey's trip, and I'd be happy to help others.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Ellie, Dec 6 12:39 pm

French Bulldog > Dog walker or daycare?

Chauncey

Barked: Tue Jul 29, '08 11:54am PST 
Hello Guest,

I have a little different take on this subject than most. My wife and I got Chauncey back in January. We both work 9-5 jobs, and were concerned about the amount of time we'd leave a Frenchie alone. For the first 6 months, we had a dog walker come over 5 times a week for a 30 minute walk, and he was completely fine. Chauncey is a well-behaved, loving, sociable little bulldog who has adapted quite well to our work schedule. We have since cut back to a dog walker 2 days a week. I make it a point to walk Chauncey for 30-40 minutes in the morning, and a solid hour after work regardless of whether or not he has been walked that afternoon. And he remains quite happy. We do give him treats in the morning before we leave- it helps that he has that to look forward to before we leave for the day. He is restricted to our bedroom which has an accompanying dog run that allows him to spend portions of his day outdoors. We do try and bring him into work whenever possible, and have a great doggy daycare that we will leave him at when we are going to be gone for longer periods of time.

My short answer to your original question is that it's doable- you just have to make the time you are with him worthwile and interesting.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mittens, Aug 4 6:40 am

French Bulldog > Barking at the TV?

Chauncey

Barked: Thu Jul 10, '08 10:15am PST 
Just curious- Chauncey goes nuts whenever he hears/sees any animal on our television. Hes particularly outraged when he sees other dogs and horses. Turn the Dog Whisperer on and forget about it- he's barking his head off silenced

Chauncey tends to be a very social dog out and about on his walks- hardly ever makes a noise when he's meeting other dogs in person.

Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions out there that we should know?

Thanks in advance!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Norrin, Jan 20 7:15 am

Chauncey

Barked: Thu Jul 10, '08 10:09am PST 
Hello Peanut,

Have you called your airline in advance about traveling with your Frenchie? It is a necessary step- certain airlines have a limit on the # of dogs they will allow in the cabin. There ussually is an additional cabin charge as well.

Chauncey is very much looking forward to his trip in November- we'll be sure to share our experience with everyone on here.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Ellie, Dec 6 12:39 pm

Chauncey

Barked: Wed Jun 4, '08 3:37pm PST 
We won't be getting on our flight until November- we'll be sure to give a full report on how Chauncey handled his Cross-country Sherpa experience. We plan on having him VERY tired for his flight- probably give him a day at the doggy daycare the day of the flight.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Ellie, Dec 6 12:39 pm

Chauncey

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 2:38pm PST 
Wow- this is wonderful news!!! We are going to the pet store and buying a Sherpa bag tonight! If anyone else has any Frenchie flying stories and tips to share, we'd be interested to see them. Thanks to Clementine and Sherman Desmond for your helpful responses!
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Ellie, Dec 6 12:39 pm

Chauncey

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '08 9:37pm PST 
Hi Clementine,

Thanks for your response- sounds like you are real world traveler! We have seen many of the web information regarding flying a dog stating that the weight limit is 15 pounds. Knowing that our Chauncey weighs in at a pretty standard frenchie 22 pounds, we were worried that they might deny us at the check-in counter. Is this is a valid concern, or a misconception, based on your experiences? Thanks again for your Sherpa recommendation- we really appreciate it!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Ellie, Dec 6 12:39 pm

Chauncey

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '08 11:01am PST 
Anyone ever have any luck doing it? Stowing Chauncey in the luggage stow just isn't an option we're willing to take. We have a big trip to the east coast planned in November- what can we do to plan traveling with our little guy?
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Ellie, Dec 6 12:39 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.