Postings by Sims

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Bernese Mountain Dog > How old and how big
Sims

Biggest 20lb lap- dog you will- ever see!!

Barked: Fri Mar 7, '08 4:32pm PST 
I am curious. This is my first Berner, he is turning 4 in a few weeks, and was curious how old your Berner is and how old does his lineage tend to get.

Also, how big is your Berner.

Sims, father is now 10 and going good. Sims also weighs 118-120.

I have heard that the avg lifespan of Berners was 8-9 years. I dont know too many Old berners, but all the ones I know are over 10... The rest of the Berners are know are all under 6.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Bernie, Jul 3 9:32 am

Bernese Mountain Dog > Need some help
Sims

Barked: Fri Mar 7, '08 4:13pm PST 
I took sims to puppy class as a puppy. He picked up all his basic obedience stuff real quick as long as we are in a controlled setting (ie, on a leash, at work, at home), but if I am off my leash or at the dog park it seems everything he learned is forgotten. All he wants to do is sniff any and all trees and play tag/box with me. I do have to say though that the older Sims gets the easier he is to teach a trick to. He just refuses to come, and heel.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by BELLA, Aug 22 5:31 pm

Bernese Mountain Dog > The Get To Know You Game!

Sims

Barked: Fri Mar 7, '08 4:05pm PST 
Baths NOPE!!!!, but I do like to jump in a pond my "dad" likes to call the Sess Pool... So I smell all swampy and I love it, but then he tries to clean me up. BOOOOOO

Do you play with toys or just ignore them?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sims, Mar 7 4:05 pm

Food & Nutrition > I won't eat good food~

Sims

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '08 4:44pm PST 
If any of you get the Whole Dog Journal theres an article in this months issue that talks why some dogs wont eat foods.

If your dog just wont eat the good food its becuase the junk food tends to have sweateners in it. Its like humans, we tend to eat stuff that is sweet tasting...

Also, we tend to freak out when dogs dont eat their foods. If a dog misses a meal, or doesnt eat all their food we think they dont like their food. So our first reaction is to put some canned food, or human food, or switch up their food. The dog then gets conditioned that if they skip a meal or turn their nose up to a food they will get something better....

My philosophy with my dog is if his food sits for 10 min or so I will pull it. Or if he eats and then walks away from his food I will then pull it. I dont put in canned food. Once in a while I will give him some raw food, but I dont give that to him during his regular meal time.

The only time I get concerned is if he doesnt eat in 2 days, then I will take him to a vet. He has always had better foods, Started out on Nutro NC LB Puppy till I realized it was junk, switched him to Solid Gold WOlf Cub, then Wolfking and would alternate WOlf King and HundnFlocken, Now I alternate Evo White Meat and Evo Red Meat and mix in some raw 2x a week.....

Its in teh dogs instinct to eat. If hes hungry he will eat. Theres not too many anorexic dogs out there, but there are a few. Just make the switch, but phase it thru over 2 weeks. Dont give in and add anything "tasty" to entice him...
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sims, Feb 23 4:44 pm

Food & Nutrition > Samples and COUPON info!!!

Sims

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '08 3:39pm PST 
Natura has $4 off any of their foods. For you folks that dont know, Natura does Evo, Innova, Calif Natural, and Healthwise. I also see Canidae coupons come thru (for you folks that dont know I own a pet supply store). Instinct has coupons but those have been listed. Wellness has all sorts. They have a $10 Coupon out for the Core line. Merrick has a few also. I also get $5 off EVO all the time. But no you cant use the $5EVO and the $4 Natura coupon on the same purchase.

Hope this helps.
[notify]
» There has since been 39 posts. Last posting by Poloka, Dec 14 7:36 am

Raw Food Diet > Any dogs with severe allergies???
Sims

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '08 10:03pm PST 
IF your going to try raw, aw Advantage makes a good Raw Diet, as does BARF. They have Medallians, patties, and chubs. I dont recommend chubs as they are the messiest. Meddalians and patties are good as you can just thaw out what you are going to need for that day. They have all the vegetiables, calcium (bones), and meat so you wont have to add anything.

Raw food is the preferred way to go, but alot of my customers tend to stop after awhile. Its good to put them on raw till everything clears up. Then she should introduce a grain free, ie NV Instinct Rabbit (single protein and no grains), if no issues with that then introduce NV Instinct Chicken, then no issues with that introduce Evo's red Meat (grain free that has Beef, lamb, buffalo, venison). This would help the process to see whats she's allergic to.

I am a big believer of grain free. Orijen, EVO, Instinct, Wellness Core, Solid Gold (barking at the moon) make a great grain free.
[notify]
» There has since been 39 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Sep 15 7:05 pm

Dog Health > Dog needs to gain A LOT of weight. Need advice.

Sims

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '08 6:44pm PST 
I would recommend Royal Canin Special. Its engineered to put weight onto a dog. Its Chicken based, and yes it has Corn Gluten mean in it (all that is is the protein of the corn). They use a vegetable protein instead of high chicken protein due to ASH.

I would recommend switching to that until he gets to his ideal wieght then switching to a better food. BUT he will gain weight with that food.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Blue, Feb 26 7:50 pm

Raw Food Diet > raw and Bl ue Buffalo

Sims

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '08 6:41pm PST 
Seattle, $1 per # for raw? How and where do you get the meat? Chicken, lamb, venison is alot more then that. I own a pet store and my cost on raw food is more then that... Also, if I feed my dog a raw diet, based on 3%-4% of body weight that would be 4-5 lbs of food a day. So even at $1 a day I would cost me $150 a month in food. I tried raw for a month on my dog. I came from Evo to Raw advantage and it cost me $300+ in food (at wholesale Cost). I didnt see any changes in my dog. I already supplimented twice a week with raw and feed him Evo. I switched back and hes the same....

If you were coming off a low quality food yes you might see a change, but coming from a high quality food theres not much if any changes, unless your dog has alergies....
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Mocha Bear (Mokie), VGG, KPA, , Feb 20 1:27 pm

Food & Nutrition > Large Breed Puppy food???

Sims

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '08 6:14pm PST 
Theres not too many Puppy Grain free foods. THe only one we sell in our store is Orijen, but its high in protein.

Taste of the Wild is lower protein. Also, check out Wellness Core. Wellness Core is 34% protien....

TOW has been around for 5 months, but the customers that have gone to it love it. Wellness Core is real new for us so I dont have any feedback on it yet.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Moniepenny, Jul 12 3:12 pm

Raw Food Diet > Any dogs with severe allergies???
Sims

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '08 6:08pm PST 
The reason why I recommend a grain free over raw, is becuase 80% of the customers that try raw go back to a kibble. Instinct, EVO, TofW, Orijen, all got 6 stars from Dog Food Analysis.com. Not too many folks have the time to prepare a raw diet. Even my customers that do agility, train their dogs etc do a combination of Raw and Kibble. The kibble they all use are grain free. Most of the food allergies are grain based, the most common meat alergy is chicken... Thats why I recommended Instinct Rabbit.

Their can be a whole discussion on grain free vs raw. Raw is better, if you do it right. Alot of folks dont add enough suppliments into the diet. The biggest thing folks forget is calcium. You need to add ground up bones, let your dog chew on raw bones or add it.

Just to finish off, i want to say yes Raw is better, but folks tend to get sick of having to take the time to prepare the dog food. That is why i recommend using a grain free kibble and suppliment with raw. I feed my Berner Evo (I alternate Red Meat and White meat), and then suppliment with Raw (I like to give him a frozen medalian 2 a week).
[notify]
» There has since been 32 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Sep 15 7:05 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.