GO!

(Page 1 of 21: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > Pro Plan to...?
Fynnigan

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 1:10pm PST 
Min Pins (if adult weight ends up being typical) don't eat much at all. You could feed the absolute best foods and for most people it wouldn't even come close to breaking the bank. I feed raw now but when I was feeding higher quality kibbles my Fynnigan ate maybe a 1/4 of a cup a day?

The better quality you feed the less of it your dog will need to eat, just to keep that in mind.

What is your monthly budget?
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Jan 6 7:49 am

Choosing the Right Dog > The Min Pin
Fynnigan

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 2:34pm PST 
I've only ever known them to be flighty, stubborn, barky and too smart for their own good.

Fynny has been no exception. He has two speeds, ON like donkey kong, and dead asleep.

He is the only one I've ever known to be good with other dogs, well housetrained and trustworthy off leash.

If she's good with other dogs and housetrained I'd say those are the two of your biggest battles and it's worth considering. Whether or not you should take her is all up to what you're inclined to appreciate in a dog though. Wouldn't hurt to go meet her and see if you click but most people I know that own them are a different breed of owner as they are usually anything but your typical snuggly mellow small breed lol
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Dec 16 10:01 am

Behavior & Training > chihuahuas and guinea pigs

Fynnigan

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 7:22am PST 
Fynny isn't a Chi, but rather a Min Pin, which in many aspects is much worse as far as small critter relations go.

It's not the training of a dog that matters as much as their drives.

Outside he's INCREDIBLY driven to kill gophers, mice, moles, rabbits etc.....but in the house he has always interacted just fine with our rabbits, guinea pigs and chinchilla. He definitely senses a difference and I can see that plain as day.

Know thy dog. I was always told to NEVER let him off leash too as the breed can never be taught a solid recall. Pssht. Unless we are going into town where the law requires it he never wears a leash and rarely ever even a collar.

Could be great fun for all as long as the dynamic is right.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 28 7:22 am

Behavior & Training > Prey drive/reactivity and carrying something in the mouth

Fynnigan

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 10:43am PST 
Cockers are flushers. Although they can be taught to retrieve it's not an inherent trait or drive of theirs.

I don't read anything about what you described being linked to any sort of bird dog behavior.

It sounds like he's got pent up energy that feeds off his vocalizations. Fynny is like this. If he's carrying a toy and the door bell rings, or the other dogs are wrestling around for example he's calm, distracted enough and remains happy as a clam. If his mouth is free to fly though he's a nut case. It's especially bad if he hasn't had much time outside. He gets yapping and that amps up his prey and alert drive sky high. He will just go on and on and on and proceed to run around like a chicken with his head cut off. It's tough to bring him down when he's that level of on. It seemed like him carrying something around either gave him something else to focus on or gave him a sense of purpose. Either way it definitely tempers his reactivity.

I've found that not only does letting him carry things around work well but having him wear one of his jackets or sweaters. If I pull the belly velcro a bit tighter than one normally would it seems to keep him more subdued. I compare it to how some children can benefit from weighted vests to improve their concentration and behavior.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 24 10:31 pm

Small Dogs > purse/messenger style carrier with pockets?

Fynnigan

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '12 12:21pm PST 
Agree with Cocoa...why not just walk? shrug

I think the main reason why my small dogs are so in love with the world instead of snippy and scared of it is because they walk everywhere we go (they are 8/9lbs and 12/13lbs). They experience life, and have learned it's not a terrifying place I need to protect them from in a bag.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , May 5 8:54 pm

Behavior & Training > A newly developed fear of thunderstorms?
Fynnigan

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 5:32am PST 
I didn't even think to try to make one myself, thanks Roxy for the suggestion. I've got boatloads of baby clothes around, I can't imagine it would be to tough to fashion something that might work...

We've also got a Whole Foods about a half hour away, I'm going to research both RR and the Happy Traveler suggestion too to see which might work best for him and then see if they carry them. His seizures seem idiopathic in nature, between myself and the two vets I've consulted we can't seem to establish a cause other than the obvious genetic link. What he eats doesn't seem to make much of an impact, and thankfully they're pretty rare. Hopefully whatever I try doesn't worsen things on both the seizure AND anxiety front!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 6 5:32 am

Fynnigan

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 6:39pm PST 
I don't think Fynny was over vaccinated, although maybe by current standards he is? Just had the run of the mil puppy shots and three rabies shots (he's four). He was neutered relatively young, I think around 6 months of age.

I do think his genetics might be playing a role. His mother and father were MESSED. UP. They were both acquired from backyard breeders at best, puppy mill dogs at worst (we're unsure). They belonged to my uncles girlfriend. They were allowed to breed her very first heat when she was less than a year old. The three pups out of that litter were nuts. All went to family members. One was hit by a car because he was literally bonkers around them. One stayed with my grandparents and is VERY aggressive, the other is more far more neurotic than Fynny. They bred again when she was just over a year old. My uncle and the girlfriend broke up at that point and he wouldn't let her take them. The pregnancy almost killed her. She lost most of her hair, and a ton of weight. Had four from that litter. She weaned them around 3 weeks of age and refused to have anything more to do with them. My uncle had both of them fixed immediately after (thank God). I took Fynnys sister at 5 weeks of age because she was so sick. Passed away shortly after from pneumonia. Fynny originally went with a nun but she quickly found him too much to handle so I then took him. My cousin took the other two and had to rehome them before they were a year old separately because they were so nuts and she was ill equipped to handle their issues. The one was beyond aggressive and the other had frequent seizures. Fynny's parents have a ton of behavioral problems but I'm not sure if that's due to their start in life, genetics, their lack of training and socialization or.....?

I'm not sure if we lucked out with Fynny or what. He's always been so sweet. GREAT with the kids, stellar with other dogs, but he's definitely neurotic. When I say that it's with the knowledge that the breed can be somewhat challenging as it is. He never stops, sleeping being the only exception. I've toyed with the idea of medicating him in the past just because I can't imagine being that "on" all the time is enjoyable, but his go go go has never really been a major concern until lately. It was like he literally couldn't gain any control of himself during that storm.

I knew when I took him what I'd likely be dealing with in the future based on what he came from, I just never expected him to get that out of control. I'm definitely going to try the thundershirt (if anyone has any suggestions of where to get one it would be much appreciated, we live out in the boonies and I'll likely end up just ordering one online). I know when I take him places in winter and he's in his fleece coat that wraps tightly under his belly he does seem a bit more subdued so I think that might help...I'm assuming a thundershirt is sort of the same concept?

Not sure if my local vet does titers testing but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to look into that just to check. Doing daycare I don't have the luxury of NOT vaccinating, he has to get rabies and distemper per the states requirements but if his levels are high I could at least hopefully find something that could counteract the effects.

Rescue remedy is something I'll likely also snag online. If that doesn't work I might look into something stronger if he happens to have the same reaction to the next storm we have. I can tell he's still sort of, dare I say traumatized? as he has yet to return to eating with the gusto he usually does. He's only picked at best since that night.

Much thanks for the suggestions, I sure appreciate them!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Apr 6 5:32 am

Fynnigan

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 8:10am PST 
I've never had a dog that reacts to the weather, so forgive me if this seems ignorant and overdramatic...

Last night we had the first storm of the year complete with giant house rattling crackle booming thunder. Even before the rain started to fall Fynny started to lose his mind. He wouldn't stop racing through the house and pacing the hallway. Couldn't sit still next to me on the couch. His movements almost seemed out of his control. I thought he might be keying up to have another seizure but then the first lightening flash lit up the window.

At that point he about scaled the wall next to him.

I couldn't get him to stop and he was panting so hard so I put him in his crate with Cooper (they're always crated together) and covered it with a blanket. Turned on the tv to hopefully drown out some of the noise but nothing helped. He continued to race ridiculously furious laps inside the crate even literally jumping up on and then off the walls at times, got so wild I brought Cooper back out because I was afraid he'd hurt him. He continued his compulsory laps, leaping and then added in a howling/shrieking/screaming nose whenever it thundered.

My question is two fold....could this be health related? Since it's warmed up he's had a few more seizures (hasn't had any for a good long while, has only had a handful before and is not medicated for them) and I wonder now if they've begun to affect his brain in a way that's in turn affecting his behavior. He does seem a bit more fractious lately, but I'm torn because that's also sort of his personality. Still sweet, still listens so well, not a mean bone in his body but there definitely seems to be a frazzled conflict about him that wasn't there before. Can seizure activity cause a dog to become completely unraveled about something that never phased them before?

Obviously I'll be checking that one with the vet but the appointment isn't until Friday.

And second - if that's not what this is, if it's just a regular run of the mill phobia, what can I do to help him? Any and all suggestions would be so appreciated. He was scaring us all pretty good with how he was acting. He managed to get Hoyt so freaked out his prey drive was kicking in and he began chasing him in much the same way he gets birdy, Cooper and Trigger whined the entire time like what the heck is going on here while refusing to eat and I sat terrified it was some omen that our house was about to get hit by lightening or something shock

Help?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Apr 6 5:32 am

Small Dogs > Tiny is a Chihuahua cross.....What!?

Fynnigan

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 7:16am PST 
Min Pin. The tail is typical for the breed undocked.

I see zero JR.

The white would come from the Chi mix smile
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Apr 12 10:01 am

Puppy Place > Concerned about the breed of my "supposed" Min Pin
Fynnigan

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '12 12:14pm PST 
Where did you buy him from?

Looks alone cannot confirm breed although I'd venture a guess of mixed at best.

The legs and coat color are the only thing that looks even semi miniature pinscher to me.

Feel free to check out Fynnys page, he has puppy pictures there I believe. You can also Google up examples that can be good to compare with.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Mar 18 10:14 pm

(Page 1 of 21: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.