Postings by Aine

GO!

Border Collie > Does your BC like baths?

Aine

Aine - Plotting world- domination.

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 8:40am PST 
Aine thinks water is TERRIBLE. eek She absolutely hates it...in fact she sits and worries when I take a bath. Good thing she is a clean dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Aine, Nov 18 8:40 am

Border Collie > Border Collie Aggression/biting
Aine

Aine - Plotting world- domination.

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 8:35am PST 
I definately agree with Boon's Ma. My BC has been raised mostly around livestock and older kids. Now she is in a situation where we have grandbabies around and are in a more suburban setting. It is a challenge but I find that impatience is a motive for bad behavior in BC rather than resource guarding. The behavior around stock that you describe (nipping, etc.) is so common and NOT undesirable when you use the dog to move cows or sheep. But it is difficult for a BC to know the difference between work and play. Once you recognize this, you can respond effectively. I don't think that most BC's are particularly good around small kids unless they have been with them since day one and know the difference between them and something to manage.
It breaks my heart to think of a BC being put down for something that is not only a managable trait but one that is pretty inherent in the breed.
Aine's mom
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Jun 25 3:50 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.