GO!

(Page 1 of 48: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > itchy ears, nose and paws
Kodi Pie - CGC ESA

Why sit when you- could lie down?

Barked: Sat Mar 15, '14 10:48am PST 
Bump

Also, is there a way to get rid of the "watch ----- for free" post it or am I the only one bothered by it?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 15 5:42 pm

Dog Health > itchy ears, nose and paws
Kodi Pie - CGC ESA

Barked: Fri Mar 14, '14 6:19pm PST 
My brother's dog is having some issues. He has been scratching his ears and licking his paws and nose bloody. My parents took him to the vet who said allergies and gave them steroids and allergy pills. They also changed his kibble from ole Roy (I know!) To wellness core ocean formula at the advise of the vet.

Its been six weeks since the first vet visit, which includes 3 weeks of steroids and allergy pills. He has been wearing an ecollar. His ears and paws are getting a little bit better, but he goes right back to scratching when the collar comes off making me think the underlying issue isn't being addressed. One would think after six weeks there would be more improvement to the symptoms.

My parents have already spent over one thousand dollars in the last 6 weeks. The vet is recommending a visit to the dermatologist and maybe steroids for the rest of his life. It makes me a little worried that they are being taken for a ride.

This is Kodi's brother, Leo that I am talking about. In case it makes a difference, Kodi is very allergic to corn, wheat and soy and to a lesser extent rice, oatmeal and barley and has been since he was a puppy. Leo has never had symptoms like this before.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Mar 15 5:42 pm

Behavior & Training > How to help dog fights when its the humans causing the problems?

Kodi Pie - CGC ESA

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 12:10pm PST 
I am pretty sure that the trigger is Nanci. As we speak all four dogs are either napping or chewing on a bone in our room with us. They are within 4 feet of each other. There is no other resource guarding. Toys and bones are regularly "stolen" with no issues. There is no guarding of food. Seems like we will just have to deal.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 14 2:07 pm

Behavior & Training > How to help dog fights when its the humans causing the problems?

Kodi Pie - CGC ESA

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 4:19pm PST 
On Thursday, Kodi got in a dog fight with our roommates dog. There were only minor injuries. It really could have been so much worse, considering they are both heavy chested strong willed pit mixes.

I dont want to push off the blame but it seems like Nancy is the trigger.

Nancy had come home a few minutes earlier and had taken Brando into her room. I was outside, taking Bebe potty and Kodi and Midget were in the kitchen eating. Nancy came back into the kitchen to grab something to eat and Brando followed her. I guess Kodi had finished eating and wandered over to them to see what was going on.

From what Nancy tells me, she opened the lower cabinet to grab something and Brando stuck his head in the cabinet. Kodi then stuck HIS head in the cabinet and Brando growled and snapped at him. Kodi snapped back and all hell broke loose. They went after each other (more sound than teeth) and Nancy just started screaming. Kodi seemed to have the upper hand. I rushed in and grabbed a hold of Kodi and pulled him off balance and he let go. At this point Brando went after Kodi and latched on to his chest. Peter, drawn by nancy’s screams, grabbed a hold of Brando and pulled him off. One stern command from Peter had Brando calmed down.

Kodi had several minor punctures on his chest and cheeks. Brando had a scrap less than the size of a dime on his chin.

I don’t want to seem like I am passing the buck, but this is only Kodi’s third fight (in 5 years) and two of them have been with Brando (in the past 3 months). The first fight was over a chicken foot. We gave the dogs a foot each and Kodi finished his first, where Brando was kind just playing with it. Kodi went up to Brando, Brando growled and snapped at him. Kodi snapped back and all hell broke loose.

I thought that we would just have to separate with high value treats, but that has proven not to be the case. The really odd thing is that if you take Nancy out of the picture, the dogs get along great. There might be a growl/grumble but they all allow each other to take bone/toys etc from each other. Peter routinely keeps all four in our bedroom while he works and they just nap.

It seems to be the combo of Nancy, Brando, Kodi and high value items that cause the issues. Is there any way to help with this?

P.S. All dogs are neutered. Brando is 5-7 and a previous stray and Kodi is 5. Bebe and Midget wisely stayed the hell out of it.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Oct 14 2:07 pm

Behavior & Training > How to discourage "talking"?

Kodi Pie - CGC ESA

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 7:19am PST 
My akita pitbull mix is a talker too. Actually more of a whiner. He has a high pitch whine he uses when excited or wants something badly and a grumbly muttering when he is irritated and a low "uff" when unsure about something or when he has a.ready been told "enough". I think he thinks I can't hear him. Lol.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 24 2:05 pm

Dog Health > Reaction to rabies vaccine?
Kodi Pie - CGC ESA

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 10:30pm PST 
1 1/2 hours after we gave him benadryl, he is a smidge bit better. He was able to hold his head up long enough to eat 1/2 a can of wet food, an egg and water mixed into a slurry.

2 1/2 hours after, he was able to walk outside (unsteady but moving) to go potty and when we came back in he jumped up in the chair to sleep. Hopefully this means he is getting a little better.

Does anyone know if CA allows medical waivers for rabies? By the time he would need his next booster he will be 7, and I dont think I can put him thru this again.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jun 2 8:11 pm

Dog Health > Reaction to rabies vaccine?

Kodi Pie - CGC ESA

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 6:57pm PST 
FYI: We are waiting for the VIP vet to call us back.

Yesterday, we took Kodi and Midget for their 3 yr rabies booster. Midget is fine but Kodi is having some odd reactions.

Bouts of extreme jumpiness - flinching when he hears a noise or when someone walks by

Rocking - Short back and forth movements, reminds me of how tv shows show autistic kids.

Puffy nose - The area from the tip of his nose to the whiskers is puffier than usual.

Excessive drooling - I took him out to go potty and he was drooling puddles. He is laying down now, and the drooling has mostly stopped.

Lack of coordination - he seems to have a little trouble getting started walking or just standing. You can see him shaking/rocking a bit before he can walk.

Has anyone seen these symptoms before? Esp in conjunction with a rabies vaccine?
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Jun 2 8:11 pm

Behavior & Training > Random weird food behavior

Kodi Pie - CGC ESA

Barked: Mon Mar 28, '11 9:34am PST 
During the last few weeks we had Austin (He was adopted!), Midget started showing mild food agression, very low (almost too low to hear) growling and tensing of his neck muscles. Last time this happened, when he was a puppy (over raw chicken) we hand fed him while praising him and petting him and it went away. So we have started that again with the kibble.

Thats not the weird part. The weird part is Kodi. He will eat kibble out of my hand, or eat the kibble Midget drops on the floor but will completely ignore his kibble in his bowl. It is the exact same kibble, part kirkland adult lamb and rice and part Taste of the wild.

Why? and/or why now?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 28 9:34 am

Puppy Place > I knew they were the one when...

Kodi Pie - CGC ESA

Barked: Sat Jan 29, '11 12:47pm PST 
Simalar to the "you know your dating a dog person"...

What did they do that made you think "this is a keeper" and "this is the one"?

I knew he was a keeper when... I found my "not a dog person" guy asleep with my 75lbs dog sprawled on top of him.

I knew he was the one when... He found us a new puppy (twice) cause he knew I wanted more than one dog, even though he was content with one.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Feb 1 1:14 pm

Puppy Place > Wrong food, big problem.
Kodi Pie - CGC ESA

Barked: Fri Jan 28, '11 1:30pm PST 
Raw chicken feet work too. They are available at most asian markets. Some people cant get over the look, but they are doggie crack. Never met a dog that didnt love them - fresh or frozen.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Feb 2 11:38 am

(Page 1 of 48: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.