Postings by Macie

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Dog Health > Pinky's Epilepsy
Macie

arwooooof

Barked: Sun May 13, '12 5:28am PST 
I recently adopted a 7 year old chihuahua from the pound. She was a puppy mill breeder. After about a month of having her, she began having cluster seizures. I immediately rushed her to the vet for a series of tests. And, it turns out she has epilepsy. I'm no stranger to taking care of dogs that have the occasional seizure, but this was far worse.

Now, she is on prednisone (for a short time) and phenobarbital for life. I've noticed that the pheno has increased her appetite to an unbelieveable level. I'm concerned about the chance of her gaining too much weight. And, I was wondering how those of you with SUPER hungry epileptic dogs go about curbing that hunger!

Thank you!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", May 13 9:50 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Therapy Dogs Must be certified. Right?
Macie

arwooooof

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '12 7:22pm PST 
Oh, okay, thank you so much everyone. I was just so confused on the issue, because I always figured it was a must. Now, I know. I am still going to go with some form of certification, just to be safe. My local training organization goes through TDI. So, that will be done soon. Yay!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by CH Snowy, CGC, TDI, HC, HIC, Nov 19 11:43 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Therapy Dogs Must be certified. Right?

Macie

arwooooof

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '12 9:03am PST 
Okay, so, Macie is very confused on this issue, so I will give everyone a background on the story.

I was at an event at a local mall, where several CGC evaluators were giving the test to benefit a local animal shelter. It was a really wonderful event, and it was nice to see a bunch of other well behaved rescue dogs.

Now, I was just there for the joy of seeing other people who love dogs so much. I have already passed my CGC. But, a woman came up to me and wanted to recruit me for therapy visits. She was the kennel manager of the shelter. She was asking everyone who had their CGC. But, none of them where certified therapy dogs.

Now, my question is, do you need to be certified to be a therapy dog, or is it just a beneficial thing, rather than a requirement?
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by CH Snowy, CGC, TDI, HC, HIC, Nov 19 11:43 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Therapy dog... soon!

Macie

arwooooof

Barked: Thu Apr 14, '11 7:34pm PST 
I will very very soon be taking my test to become a therapy dog team with Macie, and I would love to know your experiences with the test and the volunteer work you have done in passing the test!

I'm very excited and little bit nervous. I have also been staying in contact with my local Elementary School and have scheduled a new reading to the dogs program with them (in the hopes that Macie passes, which they are hoping, too!).

(Sidenote; taking it through Therapy Dog International)
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Mya CGC TDI, Apr 16 8:11 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Nitro's Law 2011

Macie

arwooooof

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 5:42pm PST 
It is now HB 108 and was reintroduced on February 16, 2011. Good luck Nitro's Bill, Macie and I are doing what we can!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Macie, Apr 11 5:42 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Nitro's Law 2011
Macie

arwooooof

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 5:38pm PST 
I didn't see this posted on the first page, so I am assuming it has kind of died down on here, if posted at all, so I figured I would bring it back.

Here is the original video for the 2010 voting, in which the bill died: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W8bqLSmT9Y

BUT, the bill is back up for voting this year, so hopefully these dogs wouldn't have died in vain. The owners of Nitro are wonderful people and deserve support for the loss of their dog and how they turned it into a noble cause.

Here is more information on exactly what it is about and Macie fully supports this bill:

Nitro's Law was created after seven dogs were starved to death at a trusted boarding facility. A total of twelve dogs were founds starving on the property, one of which was killed by authorities when they found him, he was confused and frig...htened. They killed him with a dart gun to the heart. The man who did this had most of his charges dropped, and he only served four months jail time. Nitro's Law will make animal cruelty a felony, as it should be. It was passed in the House in 2010, the Senate never even voted on it, and the bill died on December 31, 2010. But, Nitro's owners, and the owners of the other dogs did not give up, and it is now reinstated for voting in the House and Senate. Everyone in any state can help ensure the bill is passed by taking part in showing their support. Please, check these links out and do what you can. Macie and I are: http://www.facebook.com/nitroslaw and http://www.nitrofoundation.com/

It is a horrendous situation that a sick man put these dogs and their owners through. Macie survived being starved and beaten by cruel people, she knows the pain of being hungry for weeks at a time. Don't let animals like her down by not doing anything. It doesn't matter if it isn't your state, all that matters is that animals who cannot protect themselves are protected by those of us who can speak for them. So, speak up.

Be warned the images and videos are upseting.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Macie, Apr 11 5:42 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Rescue dog kind of reserved?

Macie

arwooooof

Barked: Wed Feb 23, '11 9:11am PST 
Well, when I first adopted Macie, she was terribly abused, which left her quite reserved. Is he more happy go lucky when guys come around, because he may have had a bad experience with a woman? Plus, it takes quite a bit of time to get a dog out of its shell. Have you tried taking an obedience class with him? Macie was only happy around me, so I decided to take her to a class, now she is fine with everyone. It is a really great bonding experience, too. It does wonders for any rescue dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Abner, Feb 26 11:16 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > The full story of Macie Mayonnaise

Macie

arwooooof

Barked: Tue Feb 22, '11 4:11pm PST 
So, I've basically fallen in love with Macie after only a few years of adopting her, but a few days after I adopted her, the shelter closed their doors permanently (it was a branch of the PSPCA). I never was able to aquire the whole story of her former life as an abused dog from the kennel manager, because she wasn't there the day of adoption, but called to tell me that I should contact her sometime and she will give me all the information I needed.
Unfortunately, I had no way of contacting her back and after the shelter closed, she moved away. I just recently found out her new number from another rescue, but as it has been three years since Macie's adoption, I wasn't sure if she would remember.
I have also contacted the PSPCA headquarters, but they had never answered me, as per the usual. Now, I have all of Macie's adoption papers still, which include Policy numbers, microchip numbers, PA kennel license numbers, and other important numbers. I was assuming that those would assist in locating any kind of paperwork on her, maybe even her background story.
I'm looking for this information, because Macie has become a therapy dog and has local library and school children read to her in a newly designed program for the area. I have been contacted by a local publisher who would like to create a children's book just for Macie. But, I want my facts straight and true. I know only what I can assume about her past.

So, long post short, does anyone else have any ideas as to who else to contact or how else to go about this?

Thank you!!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Macie, Feb 22 4:11 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Crossbreed/Mutt/Mixed breed appreciation thread!

Macie

arwooooof

Barked: Thu Dec 16, '10 3:07pm PST 
Oh and I forgot to post her "before" picture with the story, but I have one really poor quality photo of her the day I adopted her. It doesn't show the true extent of her emaciation, because it was the winter and her coat was thicker and the image isn't a very great one, but it is the only one I have of her at that time.

Macie Before
[notify]
» There has since been 53 posts. Last posting by Daddy, Jan 1 11:01 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Crossbreed/Mutt/Mixed breed appreciation thread!
Macie

arwooooof

Barked: Thu Dec 16, '10 2:59pm PST 
I LOVE all of these stories! It all makes me so happy to hear people appreciating mixed breeds. I happened to live in a 'hick' town, where they don't think a thing of mutts. purebreds only. so frustrating!

And, Lucille, yes, my Macie knows. somehow she does. it is amazing. She is the first dog I have ever had that everyone she meets loves her. They even know there is something special about her. I know it doesn't sound impressive to say that, but the people here are pretty ignorant when it comes to animals.

I have to continue on the subject of Macie, because I can't help myself, and I apolize beforehand for my boring stories, but I know that everyone on this site will understand how special their furry family member are.

Macie is the kind of dog that just knows things. I haven't taught her much, because I don't need to. She understands everything I seem to ask her, but annnnyway, Macie is laying here as I type and I don't want this to all go to her head.

I love the way she looks into my eyes as I speak to her, like she understands me. Do any of your pups do this? And, isn't an interesting event. Like they are little furry people?
[notify]
» There has since been 54 posts. Last posting by Daddy, Jan 1 11:01 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.