GO!

(Page 1 of 15: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  

Akita > "Akita's are genetically aggressive"
Bella

"Don't worry, be- happy!"

Barked: Wed Nov 4, '09 1:45pm PST 
I think I got through to this classmate of mine. Its amazing that people spew out misconceptions such as what I mentioned, presenting them as "facts." It's not surprising that people will believe dumb thing like "pit bulls have locking jaws" (or is it, on the grounds that its surprising that people will believe these misrepresentations presented as "facts")
I wrote the first post during class, after class I talked with him again. He asked, if I had the option of walking into a room full of goldens, or a room full of akitas, which would I walk into. I said I'd probably have more fun with the akitas- but his scenario is totally irrelevant... I hate how people dont think that goldens, labs, and (as you mentioned) springer spaniels... cocker spaniels (my friend needed stitches after being bitten by a cocker in the face- he's afraid of "little dogs"). My parents have a dachshund who is friendly to the average person but she'll bark at anyone who's coming into the house- we were having furniture delivered and the furniture guy saw my two larger dogs (50lbs, 35lbs) and was fine until he saw the dachshund- said those were the only kind of dog he's ever been bitten by!
Yet, somehow, dobermans, rotties, "pit bulls," akitas, huskeys, etc are taking the bad rap.

I found this website and emailed it to the guy... http://www.happypitbull.com/basics/temperament.html I hope that clears some things up for him!!

(And I hope nobody here thought that I was the one with these crazy, unfounded conceptions of akitas!)
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Jan 19 2:37 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > i am so mad!!!
Bella

Barked: Mon Nov 2, '09 1:47pm PST 
Considering the role dogs have played in the military, pitts in particular, its amazing to me that they would even consider breed bans!!
anyone read the book Dog Heroes?

is this something on all military bases or just because they are going to Japan?? Its absurd!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Nov 2 6:02 pm

Akita > "Akita's are genetically aggressive"

Bella

Barked: Mon Nov 2, '09 11:44am PST 
What do you say to the person who claims that Akitas are aggressive by nature, due to their genetics?
I personally dont believe that any breed can be pinpointed to be "aggressive" on a whole- but I was recently "discussing" the issue with a classmate who insists that Akitas are aggressive due to their genetics and that it is possible to breed in aggression. - another statement I do not agree with... breeds can be powerful breeds but attacking another dog and attacking a person is not a natural behavior and I dont believe that dogs are born (bred) aggressive- its not an inheritable trait. Temperament is, aggression isn't - aggression is a behavior...
but he's insisting that akitas are breed aggressive and that you can "breed anything into an animal"

anyone have some good arguments for me??
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by , Jan 19 2:37 pm

Sports & Agility > Backyard/in house agility?

Bella

Barked: Mon Nov 2, '09 9:59am PST 
Some things are really hard to teach w/o professional help but you can make some of your own equipment - there is a yahoo email group about making at home agility equipment (I forget the name, but you can probably just search the yahoo email groups for it - agility equipment...)
but you can definitely use things in your environment as well- using bleachers by basketball courts might come in handy in teaching a dog walk - if your dog is small it'll be easier to do alone, if your dog is larger (especially) you dont want them walking up on too high of a bleacher w/o a spotter on the other side, you can use trees to teach "arounds" and stumps to mimic tables...
tunnels are difficult because I find it best to teach with actual agility tunnels- especially with larger dogs. The reason being that agility tunnels are heavy and stronger than kids play tunnels or boxes and you want your dog to run through them quickly and "bank" off of the sides of the tunnel - if the tunnel is not sturdy the dog will not run though them quickly and you dont want to be teaching your dog to approach tunnels slowly...
jumps and weaves can be made from PVC pipe fairly easily, etc.

make sure if you have her jumping that she's always jumping posts that will fall down if she hits them! I've seen a few people try and "piece together" agility jumps with backyard stuff (brooms across chairs, etc) that will not fall down if the dog hits them, which leaves potential for the dog getting injured.

have fun and be safe smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 2 9:59 am

Sports & Agility > Backyard agility

Bella

Barked: Mon Nov 2, '09 9:52am PST 
there is a yahoo group you could join that is all about making your own agility equipment... I dont remember what it is called but you can just search the yahoo email groups for it smile it helped us a ton!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 3 4:04 pm

Sports & Agility > Stinky agility problem!
Bella

Barked: Mon Nov 2, '09 9:50am PST 
Thanks for the advise guys- sorry I haven't been able to respond until now! Bella did well at her trial although I think we did get her to poop three times throughout that day (as opposed to once maybe twice on a normal day). I was stressed because I was nervous about her pooping on the course (indoor turf... I didn't want to be that person!). Our first run was jumpers and my goal was to simply get on and off the course w/o any incidents and we did just that. We did four runs that day, Qed in them all with no "accidents" inside.
We had to skip our next class b/c I had an exam the following day but this past week I took her to class, she pooped outside when we got out of the car, we did our first run and right after we finished my husband took her out again and she pooped again. That was it for the night although I took her out another three or four times.
I still dont know why she poops so much and why she didn't at our old place although I'm leaning towards it being excitement induced- she was never that excited at our old place, she would just chill out and she'd walk through the courses I had to do a lot to motivate her to run through them (I think partly b/c the area was smaller) as opposed to our new place she's bouncing off the walls and super excited.
My husband cannot come to class regularly, I am just going to have to take her out after the first few turns and figure out her "new" schedule (I dont believe that she'll go more than once during class, once before class, but I dont want to take any chances) and if we miss some of class because of that its ok- I'd rather be enjoying agility with less runs than having her pooping on the course with more runs!

-she got her level one title at the last trial as well! We finally (!!) Qed in our L1 jackpot!! -
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 2 9:50 am

Bella

Barked: Thu Oct 15, '09 2:28pm PST 
thanks for the continuing advise...
she does poop right before class, I'm surprised that she has to go again in the middle of class (sometimes even during our first run). I honestly dont have the time to get there 1/2 an hour early... I am going to try for a good 10 minutes though, and see if that helps, and just keep taking her out between runs...
I guess I was hoping for a solution more than a management, but I think I'll have to suck it up and manage the problem rather than figure that it'll be solved.
I guess I still don't get why we didn't have this problem at our old place, and I struggle still thinking it's stress only because its been 9 or 10 weeks already... but maybe thats being far to harsh. She definitely seems wayy more excited than stressed when we get there, she wants to play with everyone and bounces around.
Its difficult because it does seem to happen all the sudden we dont always have time to make it out of the ring.

If she does go outside, do I reward her for that- I mean it seems simple, she went in the correct place so she gets rewards. But am I then essentially rewarding her for pooping during practice??

We are going to try a different food and see if that makes any difference... we change foods often because she's pretty sensitive, I can't remember when we started TOTW, if it was before or after we stopped classes at our old place.
Also... we have much less dogs in our classes here and therefore do way more runs, I wonder if that has anything to do with it as well?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Nov 2 9:50 am

Food & Nutrition > Need a new food??

Bella

Barked: Thu Oct 15, '09 2:18pm PST 
It's getting frustrating because we encounter this problem at this training place every week... so its not a new place. Plus, if she poops on the course its an automatic DQ... and last class she pooped while we were in the indoor arena... it is sooo unlike her to poop inside... but she's not doing it at home at all- I just wonder if its the running around that makes her need to go and excess need maybe correlates to food??

poop bags can only do so much when its on the course or inside, we're always prepared but still end up embarrassed...
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Oct 18 8:10 am

Bella

Barked: Thu Oct 15, '09 3:34am PST 
Thanks for the tip... with school work it is hard to be able to take off even more time for agility classes but if I'm diligent I know I can manage that and I'm going to try that for next week, have her go before leaving, bring her there and walk her around inside the ring (maybe even have a bit of a run around...) so long as the owners/instructors don't mind.... they seem to have a lot of students and seem to be "big" agility people with one of the only indoor rings around... but they are not forthcoming with advise or even stating that this is a common issue... they just stand there and exclaim "oh my gosh!" when she suddenly goes... its not a good feeling at all!
We've been doing agility for about a year and a half now- any thoughts as to why this only just started in our new place??
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Nov 2 9:50 am

Food & Nutrition > Need a new food??
Bella

Barked: Wed Oct 14, '09 7:21pm PST 
Hi everyone,
My two year old mutt Bella and I have developed a new problem of Bella pooping on the agility course at practices (I posted the whole thing on the agility forum) and my "last shot" idea is that maybe it is diet related? I've noticed when my other dog (on the same food) gets running around she tends to poop a lot with this food as well... although I have only noticed Bella pooping in excess (out of her normal schedule once in the am once in the pm) when we are at agility practices... I am out of other ideas.
right now they are on taste of the wild. I've been told that its not a food you'd expect dogs to poop a lot on, but regardless, Millie (the other dog) is, and Bella somehow manages to poop RIGHT before and DURING agility classes (although, other nights, she only goes once).
Is there another food that someone could recommend that might even work towards solving this issue? Something not overly expensive (we really liked EVO but just can't afford it for both dogs...).

Thanks for any suggestions!!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Oct 18 8:10 am

(Page 1 of 15: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.