GO!

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  

Sports & Agility > What Does Your Dog Wear to "Work"?
Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Fri Dec 20, '13 8:34am PST 
What about a collar instead, like this one-

www. rush to tug . com / zoom- fly ball- collar . html

(Sorry about all the spaces, Dogster wouldn't let me post a clicky link because of 'inappropriate content?' Seriously, we've had spam for 'adult films' show up on here, but I can't post a perfectly nice website for dog gear? lol) big laughshrug
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Feb 5 1:08 pm

Sports & Agility > Does Anyone Compete With a Rescued Dog?
Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 7:44am PST 
No worries, Jane, so do I. wink My last post wasn’t directed at you; after seeing some of Zombie’s other posts it seems they are just posting outrageous things to stir people up and I didn’t want to get sucked into their little game.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jan 10 6:00 pm

Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 4:26pm PST 
Ah well, this has been debated many times before, and to avoid further derailing this thread all I’ll say is: IMHO no vaccines is far more ‘dangerous’ than limited vaccines and titers.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jan 10 6:00 pm

Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Sat Nov 16, '13 7:07pm PST 
Hey Alva, I follow Dr. Dodd’s vaccination protocol. Here in the US the only vaccine required by law is rabies (yearly or every three years depending on the state you live in,) all the others are optional. Some people don’t do any vaccines at all and some do yearly boosters.

For training it’s completely up to the club/group/private instructor. As I posted above I’ve only personally been asked to show proof of vaccination once. Actually, in talking to others in my training groups, I find many also do limited vaccines. As for trials or shows, I’ve trialed in obedience, agility, and nosework and don’t know of any venue that requires proof of vaccination to enter a trial (not to say there isn’t one, I’m just not aware of it.) Usually when you sign the disclaimer on the entry form there is a paragraph that looks like this:

I/we agree to abide by the rules of CPE currently in effect at the time of the trial date. I/we testify that the dog entered is healthy and vaccinated or titered. I/we certify that the dog entered is not dangerous to any person or other dog. By signing below, I/we agree to the disclaimer on this entry form including the statement below the signature line.

Taken from the premium of the agility trial I did last month. That’s it. It doesn’t even specify which vaccines you are agreeing you have given.

There are usually no requirements for spay/neuter either. The major exception being AKC, and only if your dog isn’t eligible for regular registration. The ILP/PAL and the Canine Partners programs do require your dog to be altered.

Apologies to Duncan for wandering off topic a bit, hope you don’t mind, I would take it to PM but perhaps somebody will find it useful.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Jan 10 6:00 pm

Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Sat Nov 16, '13 7:45am PST 
Sorry to go off topic a little, but re: the above comment on vaccines and training- I do very limited vaccines and I have only been asked once in 10 years of training with various people/groups to show proof of vaccination (a rabies certificate, which is the only one required by law anyway) to attend a class. Doing limited vaccines should not prevent you from seeking professional training.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Jan 10 6:00 pm

Sports & Agility > Hiking
Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Sat Jun 1, '13 1:26pm PST 
I wish we had some off leash trails. The state parks here don’t even allow dogs, and the smaller regional parks all have leash laws. If the trails are pretty deserted I’ll just drop her leash and let it drag, so I’m still ‘technically’ obeying the leash law.

And yep, the foxtails are really bad. I can’t avoid them, even on walks through our neighborhood. Hate those things. Anyone else having a bad time with ticks this year? A couple weeks ago Abbey came back from a hike with more ticks than I’d ever seen in my life. I had to brush her with a flea comb, bathe her, and then brush her with the flea comb again.

Hey Moose! It’s Sonoma Co., the area west of Santa Rosa. I traveled through the east bay in April for a nosework event, and was amazed at how dry the grass was already. It stays greener much longer here, especially so close to the coast, but the scenery is otherwise very similar!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Jun 9 8:09 am

Sports & Agility > Hiking

Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 2:30pm PST 
I have several parks with nice trails very close to home, so I try to get out and visit a different one each week. Just a nice change of scenery from our usual walks. I grabbed my camera as I was heading out the door today, and took some pics of our hike.

This scenery isn’t too bad.

Enough with the pictures, let's go already!

Hay field

Can't really tell from this angle, but that's a vineyard in the background.

This paved bike trail is part of a program called ‘Rails to Trails,’ which converts old railway lines into recreation trails.

Anybody else enjoy hiking with their dogs?
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Jun 9 8:09 am

Sports & Agility > FINALLY!! SOMETHING HE'S GREAT AT!!! - Scent Work & Mr. Beagle

Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Sun May 26, '13 6:05pm PST 
Fun, isn’t it?! way to go

Abbey likes agility, but she loooves NW.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 28 1:50 pm

Sports & Agility > Refusing weaves during agility trials

Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 4:03pm PST 
Good advice from Bailey and Bosley.

I very much agree, don’t stop and try to fix training or handling issues in the ring, keep moving. It’s hard, I know, I’m guilty of doing it too on occasion.

Try going to some fun matches instead, which is an excellent way to proof behaviors and build confidence in a trial-like setting.

I had to move my hand back and forth which I usually don't have to do.

How did you train the weaves? I ask because I usually associate the above with luring the dog through with treats- which I have to admit is my least favorite method of training weaves. I don’t think it fosters a good understanding of weaving, most dogs you see trained by that method have a slow, inconsistent, and very handler dependent performance that tends to fall apart easily. In that case, I would seriously consider going back and retraining the weaves.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 7 4:26 am

Sports & Agility > Funny obedience/agility stories
Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 1:30pm PST 
Although it’s never happened to me at a trial, if you do agility for any length of time you will eventually trip and fall while running. I’ve seen a few pretty spectacular wipe outs, people landing on their faces or taking out the equipment as they go by.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Apr 30 11:57 am

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.