Postings by Dougal Jerome

GO!

(Page 1 of 46: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Possibly adopting older Lab
Dougal- Jerome

Cute as a Button

Barked: Wed Nov 3, '10 11:03am PST 
Thanks for the advice Belgian. What you say makes sense. I should clarify though, I am no good at estimating dog weight, so let's just say Ozzy is at the high end of Lab weight, definitely over 100lbs, perhaps pushing 120. He looks to be a healthy weight but I can certainly understand that his size puts a great strain on his hips.

Right now they feed him Old Roy (according to my husband). Not sure the amount they give him but he is a chow hound and he does enjoy his meal times.

$30 to $50 every two months for medication is less than I thought and certainly doable. I'm sure my mother in law would offer to help with vet bills should Ozzy get sick in the future.

I'm not sure this will happen. My husband wants to tell his mother no because he doesn't think we can handle another dog, and honestly I wonder if her reaction to give him up came from frustration. I hope she decides to keep him but I'm pushing for us to take him if she can't. Keep Ozzy in your thoughts and thanks again for the advice and support.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Belgian, Nov 3 11:20 am

Dougal- Jerome

Cute as a Button

Barked: Tue Nov 2, '10 1:41pm PST 
Hi Jewel,
Thanks so much for the response!
1. The running off could be boredom-related, but I think it's more to do with hunting/chasing things. He seems to run off when he gets a scent and usually stays within their farm grounds. Usually after he takes off he's so sore from running that he can't move for days.
3. The third dog was only here for a couple of hours. He was neutered, as is Ozzy. I guess it'd be like anything else, and just take time for them to be used to each other. Ozzy is used to living with multiple dogs so I'm sure it's not a problem for him, and my guys are friendly... just competitive!
4. Yes, this is what we did when we adopted Stumpy. He took a while to get used to kitty, he was afraid. Again, I guess it just takes time.
5. Supplements for sure! I know my MIL said she would take him to the vet if we adopt him so he's up-to-date on shots etc. I feel like the money is just an excuse because all my dogs will be old at some point and need extra vet care. I guess I'm just reluctant to take on a senior dog for that reason, but if we did we would make it work somehow.
6. Right now I'm not sure what he's eating but I don't think it's a very good quality food. My guys eat Science Diet... I already had to downgrade them from Wellness when we adopted Stumpy. The rotation is a good idea, but wouldn't it cause an upset stomach? We're lucky that we can get good quality food here, so it's certainly something worth considering.

Thanks again, I still have no idea what to do but just talking about my concerns helps put things in perspective!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Belgian, Nov 3 11:20 am

Dougal- Jerome

Cute as a Button

Barked: Tue Nov 2, '10 8:29am PST 
My mother in law has a 7 year old chocolate lab (he's a MONSTER, at least 150lbs!). They live on a farm and he has a habit of running off and taking their other dogs with him (they have 5). They've already lost one dog because of this. They now have a puppy and Ozzy (Lab) ran off with the puppy yesterday. They found them both but are worried that the puppy will suffer the same fate as their lost dog.

So she called my husband and asked if we would consider taking him. I love this dog, he is the sweetest, simplest creature and he's always happy and wagging. I have some concerns though:
1. We have two dogs and a cat and live in a 1900 sq.ft. house. Ozzy is used to running free on the farm. We have a fenced yard so that's a plus, but I'm afraid he wouldn't be happy and would feel trapped in our house.
2. Right now he is an outside dog. He used to be housebroken and NEVER had accidents but can dogs forget that?
3. Whenever we have a third dog at our house my two get petty and jealous. Dougal likes to hump the third dog, and Stumpy gets in the way and guards the third dog, snapping and growling if Dougal comes near. I'm afraid having Ozzy here would cause problems with Dougal and Stumpy.
4. I'm pretty sure Ozzy has never been exposed to cats. Now, my cat can hold his own with dogs, but Ozzy is about 15 times the size of my cat and used to hunting raccoons and other small critters. I'd worry for the safety of my cat.
5. Ozzy is a senior. He already has hip dysplasia. We make a comfortable living but yearly vet bills for our critters are high. As he gets older I'd assume that he would need more and more trips to the vet. I'm afraid that would just eat at what savings we have.
6. Ozzy is a big boy and eats a lot, I'm afraid I'd have to switch to a lower quality food to afford to feed them all, which doesn't seem fair to my boys.

I invited my husband's parents to come up this weekend and bring Ozzy to see how he gets along with my dogs and how he reacts to the cat, which I think is a good first step. Is there anything I should be concerned about that I'm forgetting?

I love this dog so much. My mother in law has said that she will give him to a Lab rescue if we can't take him, but he's senior and HUGE and I'm afraid he wouldn't get adopted.

If you read all that, THANK YOU so much! Any advice you could give me would be appreciated.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Belgian, Nov 3 11:20 am

Dog Health > Hot Spots?

Dougal- Jerome

Cute as a Button

Barked: Mon May 18, '09 3:16pm PST 
I only just checked this, thanks for the replies!

I went to the vet today but they wouldn't give me anything without a check-up, and I didn't have time to get Dougal in today. I went to a tractor supply store and they gave me some wound spray. I just put it on and, if nothing else, it's discouraging the licking!

I'm going to see how it is tomorrow but if this stuff doesn't help I'll definitely try some of your suggestions. Thanks so much! My mother-in-law is also going to get some spray she gets from her vet for her dogs, for any future hot spots!

I really appreciate the help, it's nice to know I can get advice from other doggy owners as this is Dougal's first hot spot and I tend to worry! blue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Harley, SD, CGC, TDI, May 19 4:58 am

Dog Health > Hot Spots?

Dougal- Jerome

Cute as a Button

Barked: Sat May 16, '09 8:14pm PST 
We just noticed that Dougal has a sore on his side... it's round and there is no hair over it, and it has a middle. It's not bleeding but he keeps licking it which is not helping. He didn't have it yesterday. Does this sound like a hot spot? He hasn't been in any tall grass but that's not to say a tick couldn't have got to him. He is on Frontline Plus. He is acting normal, besides the licking of the sore. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to what we should do? If it's the same on Monday we'll go see the vet.

Thanks in advance! blue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Harley, SD, CGC, TDI, May 19 4:58 am

Behavior & Training > Dogs and CATS!
Dougal- Jerome

Cute as a Button

Barked: Fri Apr 24, '09 9:39am PST 
Awww Juno, I hope your kitty is ok and gets better soon! kitty

I'm good at ignoring the cat, in fact it's usually kitty who starts it. He'll wait round corners for me to run by and jump on me and hit me round the head. Then I chase him and he goes under the dining table, and lays on his back. He then hits me round the head and nibbles my ears and I nibble his chest. It usually ends when he bites me ear too hard and I yelp. Mommy and daddy always supervise our play though. Does your kitty have a place high up, or a room only he can get into? It's always good to provide kitty with a safe, dog-free place!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Rex, Apr 25 4:52 pm

Behavior & Training > extreme drooling in the crate

Dougal- Jerome

Cute as a Button

Barked: Tue Apr 7, '09 7:04pm PST 
Glad she had a better day today! Hopefully what you're doing will work for her smile
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Apr 13 9:31 am

Behavior & Training > extreme drooling in the crate

Dougal- Jerome

Cute as a Button

Barked: Tue Apr 7, '09 3:17pm PST 
Just to add, we have had problems with separation anxiety, and I'd noticed that when Dougal had been stressed in his crate (drooling, destruction etc) he was exhausted by the time we got home. Stress is tiring, and if this is SA (and that's what it sounds like) then Addie has probably worn himself out by the time you get home, which could explain why he naps and so on. He is a very high energy mix so it could be that he needs a job. Agility, flyball or other doggie sports are great for working breeds.

As for the SA, there are things you can try. Rescue remedy, a DAP diffuser (never tried it but heard it works on some dogs but not others), a CD (I think the one I've been recommended is called Through a Dog's Ear). For us it was a mixture of SA and claustrophobia in the crate, so we no longer crate Dougal, we gate him in a doggy-proof area. Would this be a possibility for you?

Hope you can get past this, separation anxiety is hard for both you and the dog but it can be overcome with work and conditioning.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Apr 13 9:31 am

Puppy Place > Teddy vs. the vacuum

Dougal- Jerome

Cute as a Button

Barked: Tue Mar 10, '09 5:42pm PST 
Teddy, you're too cute!

Our vacuum is called Vladimir. He's my buddy. When he comes out I start play bowing. Vladimir likes to chase me and I run away and then run right back for more! You should try it Teddy, vacuums are such awesome play buddies! blue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sirius Padfoot Black, Mar 12 8:06 am

Behavior & Training > focus on ME please!
Dougal- Jerome

Cute as a Button

Barked: Sun Mar 8, '09 7:59am PST 
When Dougal and I took our first obedience class he was also in love with his trainer. That's because every time he saw her he got showered with treats! She was Treat Lady and whenever she came over to him I did not exist. So I decided to get BETTER treats than Treat Lady (gotta love hot dogs - Treat Lady only had Pupperoni) and suddenly he loved me more! We also had a similar situation in agility class where he was totally in love with Weave Pole Lady. She also had the best treats.

I would work on making yourself WAY more interesting than the trainer. What treats have you tried using? What does the trainer use? Work on attention at home first before you move onto using distractions. Just stick at it and you'll get it and he'll forget he was ever in love with the trainer smile
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Mar 10 3:01 pm

(Page 1 of 46: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.