GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Shetland Sheepdog > My guy is 1 today :-)
Piper

Barked: Thu Jun 26, '08 10:13am PST 
Piper turns 1 today. He has been a great addition to our family, he is a sweetheart! Have fun with all of your shelties, they are a special breed! Sometime I'll upload pics of him and his lovely fur coat.

Question (while I'm here). His spine seems to dip between the hips and the shoulder blades. Is this a breed desireable trait? It doesn't look wrong, in fact it looks somewhat correct. I'll have to supply a photo.

Another thing while I'm here. Can we discuss food brands? Your favorite? Piper has eaten Timber Wolf organic since we brought him home. He is lean in a healthy way. Just wondering what everyone else likes.

Linda
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 7 4:44 pm

Shetland Sheepdog > how big am I going to get?
Piper

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '07 3:30pm PST 
Piper is going to be small, he is at the bottom of all the sheltie growth charts. But big or small, we love them anyway right?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 15 12:47 pm

Shetland Sheepdog > Neuter celebration

Piper

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '07 5:30pm PST 
Piper was neutered last week, he's now 5 months old. Our decision to neuter came about a week earlier when he showed food aggression toward the kids. I have to say though that it is true how CORRECTABLE shelties are. Piper knew by our (understandably) strong reaction to him snapping at our 7 year old daughter's hand that he had done something VERY wrong. We have since been working positively with him to condition him not to react to a hand reaching toward his food bowl, he has not growled since. You can see him mastering any urge to defend. I am confident he will be 99.9% (who can ask for more?) trustworthy soon enough. Anyway, the surgery was an easy one for him.

I really need to get him back into puppy socialization classes. He is still timid with other dogs and I want him to be well rounded. I think we can bypass the puppy K classes (which we stopped when he got a stomach bug). He is so responsive to clicker training. Have started to teach him to walk on a treadmill in anticipation of those bitter winter days when we WON'T be walking. This week has been cold enough for this "mom's" bones.

Bad breath - seems that it can be associated with teething. I am hoping so because man, it stinks! I am feeding him Timberwolf Organics so hopefully it's not that. He was fine before, it's just recently.

regards to all the shelties!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 16 6:48 pm

Shetland Sheepdog > Obcessed with traffic

Piper

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '07 9:51am PST 
A good potential source of info could be Cesar Milan's book. Look to see if your library has it or borrow through inter-library action. I happened to get his "Season 2" dvds and watching him work with "problem" dogs is eye-opening. His theory really boils down to acting like the dog's "leader." You must be very firm and treat him like a dog and yes, distract him BEFORE he focuses on the car. Interupt his behavior before he focuses. Rewards are also a good thing when acceptable behavior happens. Remember, they are dogs, we can't anthropomorphize them even though they can be so irresistable. Piper showed signs of lunging at cars but we are re-directing him as it happens. It is probably going to take a while to "break" this tendancy.

good luck, be persistant and consistent. Linda
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Dec 17 12:29 am

Shetland Sheepdog > Shelties and cats

Piper

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '07 9:41am PST 
We have adult cats who tell Piper when they don't want him to come too close. We are also training Piper to leave them alone when they react negatively. They may be friends some day but not yet.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Nov 10 7:50 pm

Food & Nutrition > How many of you feed Timberwolf Organics?
Piper

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '07 4:07am PST 
Actually, they ship for free but we can get it in our area so we do that. Piper prefers the chicken based one but we have gone back to the Ocean Blue while his 24 hour digestive mess gets cleared up.

Linda
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Oct 26 6:26 pm

Behavior & Training > Barking

Piper

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '07 11:43am PST 
Pricy but might work?

http://www.animalbehaviorsystems.com/category.cfm?Category= 10
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Oct 25 8:57 pm

Food & Nutrition > When did you switch from puppy to adult food?

Piper

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '07 11:31am PST 
Piper has been on Timberwolf Ocean Blue since we brought him home at 3.5 months. He is doing great. His vet said just to MAKE SURE that the food has AAFCO certification (Timberwolf does).

Linda
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Oct 28 5:48 am

Food & Nutrition > Sharing experience - Dehydrated Chicken breast

Piper

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '07 11:23am PST 
These treats are just slices of dried chicken breast that the dog gnaws down. The label claimed they were American Vet. assn approved. My 4 month old pup probably got sick from one of these, lots of puppy diarrhea and vomiting. Thankfully it only lasted less than 24 hours but buyer beware. When I examined the label further I discovered that the product is made in China. I don't think we will ever offer him some form of dehydrated meat again. We will stick with Kongs stuffed with frozen yogurt or PB or cream cheese! What a NASTY state the poor pup and crate were in when I got home yesterday...and he was only crated for 1.5 hours! Not to mention the midnight cleanup DH and I performed.

Linda
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Oct 25 1:35 pm

Shetland Sheepdog > House (potty) training
Piper

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '07 4:11am PST 
Yes, it was a one off. He is back to making it through the night. Thanks for the shared stories!

Linda
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Nov 3 4:00 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.