Postings by Kita- Adopted! :)

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Over my head...I cannot take anymore
Kita- Adopted! :)

Big dogs can be- lap dogs too!

Barked: Fri Jul 25, '08 1:09pm PST 
If a dog aggressive Akita can find a fablous home this little blind girl can too. So, I know you are basically doing this on your own but you do need more help. Contact a local rescue group, ask them to put a courtsey listing for you on Petfinder. Also ask if it possible to show your dog at their local adoption stands- many will let you do that- but you normally have to agree to use their adoption application and home screening process- which isn't such a bad deal. Also, just contact your local rescues and explain your situation and ask for advice. Many have experience with blind dogs. Its possible someone for the rescue will even come out and work with the dog. Never know until you ask. Since you have the medical taken care of and you are not looking to simply dump this dog, I think they will be able to help you.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Peddles, Aug 13 7:06 am

Behavior & Training > What is the weirdest reaction you have had to your dog?

Barked: Wed Jun 18, '08 7:12am PST 
Kita gets the BEST reactions. She's super friendly to all people. Months ago when I would walk her around the neighborhood all the children would run and scream "WOLF" or "WOLF DOG" and dart behind buildings. Eventually one of them got brave and asked if my "wolf" would bite, and then he petted Kita. I of course explained she wasn't a wolf. Anyway, all the kids now say I have the nicest Wolf Dog around. BOL. I've given up trying to tell them she's an akita.

I live in the city and grown men in groups of 9 to 12 sometimes stand on the street corners gabbing... and one time we turned a corner and I swear 9 men jumped straight up a 5 foot brick wall and the rest took off running. I've had men jump OVER cars to get away. I can't help laughing when all Kita is doing is standing and panting.

Yep I've got a home security system. 100% Akita Love. She'll lick them to death if they would just come down off that wall.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jun 21 5:42 am

Akita > Is Your Akita De-Sexed or In-Tact? :)

Barked: Sun Jun 8, '08 8:48pm PST 
There are several akita rescues in the united states. Unfortuantely its hard to find foster homes so they can only save so many. Few people want to foster a large dog that can sometimes be aggressive with other dogs... especially when they already have another akita in the house- which most akita fosters do have their own akitas.

There are some mixed breed akitas in the shelter/rescue system, but there are MORE pure bred akitas. Its not crazy like lab and pit populations in the shelters, but there are still some. Akitas are also harder to adopt because they are akitas. I love them, don't get me wrong, but this is just a fact of rescue.

I would recommend getting her spayed. Its more likely she will be ok with other dogs and you don't have to worry about a stray male dog trying to break into your yard to get to your female when she's in heat.

And I would recommend against breeding her. If you want more akitas there are lots of pure breds in the rescue system and they really need akita lovers. Or if you just want a litter of akita puppies, they need foster homes to save akita puppies from kill shelters.

Best of luck to you and your pup

blue dogblue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by MASH, Jul 7 8:52 pm

Akita > Akita Training Questions

Barked: Wed May 7, '08 1:44pm PST 
Thanks for all the responses! We found out Kita is GREAT with cats, but she still doesn't like other dogs. Go figure. I'm glad we finally cat tested kita. She is still a little defensive over her toys- she's so afraid the cats going to make off with them BOL. She's learned not to trip over cats when running down the stairs (or more accurately the cats have learned to fake her out so she goes tumbling down the stairs FIRST and then they follow). The cats are eating her dogfood- she looks so sad when they do that. And the kitties walk under her and inbetween her legs and she hardly even notices.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Stella, Mar 5 4:39 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Cat Testing

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '08 7:35am PST 
I think the "swift correction" is however you get your dog to come to you or stop paying attention to the cat. If you can't do anything to draw the dog away from the cat because the dog's in hunt mode... well... I wouldn't take that mussel off.

My guess is that Maggie does other things beyond following the cats around and being interested in them. When I cat tested Kita she smelled them a lot and pawed a little at first, then laid down and ignored them. Its dogs that NEVER leave the cats alone thats the problem.

Don't read into it too literally... I think they just described their method more for adopters than rescuers/trainers to understand. I was super excited about it because I couldn't think of a safe way for the cats to test Kita... and this was super helpful!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kita- Adopted! :), Mar 18 7:35 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Cat Testing

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 6:49am PST 
In case anyone was thinking of "cat testing" a foster dog I found this great greyhound rescue website that explains a safe method for it.

http://www.tlcgreyhoundadoption.com/cattest.html

I was so happy to find out my Foster Kita passed. She has since graduated to WITHOUT the mussel. Yay!snoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kita- Adopted! :), Mar 18 7:35 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Pedigree commercials

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '08 6:04am PST 
Found this pedigree commerical... its not about adopting but its so darn cute. And it does really show the bond between owner and dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2SjW8Qxfqg&feature=related

Fo r all those who cannot afford another dog, considering fostering with a rescue group that pays for all the food, supplies and medical. Fostering a dog better perpares him/her for home life and then they have a spokesperson for their personality, training, ect. Also fostering a dog for a rescue group means the rescue can pull another dog off of death row.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Spuds "The Angel Potato Head", Feb 28 8:04 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Whats the longest time you had a foster pup?

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '08 5:49am PST 
I think I had my last foster, Natasha about 6 months before she was adopted. January is the 6th month Ive had Kita. We thought we had a home for her a few weeks ago, but they ended up backing out. We recently showed her on "Paws for Pets" on Channel 6. I havent gotten any emails about her yet- but heres hoping. She's a beautiful dog but its harder to find someone who is willing to accept her high prey drive- in other words she cannot be around other pets, and most people who look at her have other pets. We have our stand outside of Petsmart so most are buying pet food.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Henry, Feb 10 1:22 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Food Donation: Quality or Quantity?

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '07 5:34pm PST 
I've never heard of Iams referred to as a junk food thinking

I think what you are doing is great! I'd like to add that if anyone is getting coupons for pet supplies and they are dumping them in the trash- PLEASE DON"T! Hand them off to your local shelter or rescue group! It really helps! dancing
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mo, Nov 9 4:18 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > How many dogs do you have?

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '07 9:50pm PST 
Currently, Kita (foster), my dog Josie and my boyfriend's dog Bopje so three. dog

Cats we have 3 plus 2 fosters. So five. They are the last two to get adopted out of a litter I found outside. kitty kitty

Plus 1 ferret, Sprite. big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 58 posts. Last posting by , Nov 29 8:48 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.