Postings by Athena

GO!

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

Dog Laws & Legislation > A BSL rant... can anyone help me?
Athena

50% dane, 50%- lab, 100%- trouble!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 2:08pm PST 
Wait a second, I just had an epiphany.... Maybe the fact that Winnipeg has BSL and the fact that it has the most murders per capits in the entire country are related? I should go to congress with that one. If they can justify BSL, I'm sure that will make PERFECT sense to them too!!! BOL!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Athena, Feb 26 2:08 pm

Athena

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 12:20pm PST 
Hahaha, well put. It's really hard for me to go from living in this amazingly dog friendly, open minded city... Where I can walk down the street with Bluto and people will come up and say "Oh what a handsome pit bull, may I pet him?" to a city WITH BSL. You ban something, you make it illegal, and the masses think they're being protected... and that whatever they're being protected from must be evil. So even friends and family back home can't believe I'd have such a "vicious" dog living in my home, sleeping in my bed... they have NO idea.

Do politicians really have nothing better to do? Winnipeg is the MURDER CAPITAL OF CANADA (or at least, was when I lived there, I think maybe Edmonton stole the coveted title last year...) and is filled to the BRIM with Hell's Angels and drug dealers.

But PIT BULLS are the problem?thinking
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Athena, Feb 26 2:08 pm

Athena

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 10:10am PST 
Thanks Dutch!

But I agree. I mean... even Athena, my lab/great dane, could "LOOK" like a pitbull, especially to ignorant brainwashed citizens in a city that supports BSL who have never even SEEN a pit bull, because they're banned!

I think I'm going to look at some homes just outside of city limits. Then I can have all the pit bulls I want smile
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Athena, Feb 26 2:08 pm

Athena

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 9:36am PST 
Hi everyone smile

I'll start by saying that right now, I live in a BSL free city and I LOVE IT! However, I have been looking at moving back to my hometown of Winnipeg because housing is much more affordable (try less than half the price) of Calgary.

Winnipeg has BSL. Which wasn't a problem for me, because Harley and Athena are not pitties. However... just the other day I got the news that Bluto, who was a beautiful pittie/boxer mix that I had fostered, was being returned.

He is the GREATEST dog... when he was adopted my boyfriend and I both cried. Anyway, now that he's back we both pretty much know we're never letting him go again smile

BUT... Now we have problems because we are looking at houses in a city with BSL!!! I called animal services in Winnipeg today to ask if pittie MIXES were acceptable, and they said that "any dog having pit bull like characteristics" was banned. How broad is that?!?!? ANY dog can have a pit bull characteristic if you're looking hard enough!

I don't know what to do. I can't afford to buy a home in Calgary and the one place I can afford won't let me keep Bluto!

Does anyone have any suggestions!?!?!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Athena, Feb 26 2:08 pm

Behavior & Training > Please HELP, I need advice on nuisance barking!

Athena

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 12:27pm PST 
RILEY - Here is a direct quote from the letter the by-law officer gave me...

Section 23 (1) of The Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw 23M2006 states:

"The owner of an animal shall ensure that such animal shall not bark, howl, or otherwise make or cause a noise or noises which disturbs any person."

Isn't THAT vague??? I mean, by that definition my dog barking ONE time, once a day, as long as someone can HEAR it, would be a by law violation. AAAAAH. So frustrating.

Anyone out there have any rental properties in Calgary that are dog friendly? BOL!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 12:45 pm

Athena

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 11:22am PST 
Khola - also very good advice! That was my point, as well... that it's all well and good for these people to SAY my dogs were barking, but how can they PROVE it? Honestly I'm just WAITING for a ten thousand dollar fine to show up in the mail.

Because I KNOW this isn't about my dogs or about barking... it's about my boyfriend and I and the fact that we're young and therefore, you know, drug addicts and criminals that must be driven from this perfect neighbourhood!

I'll gladly let them win... I just need somewhere else to live!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 12:45 pm

Athena

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 11:18am PST 
Thanks Bella!

I will definitely try the methods you suggested. And there are actually LOTS of dogs on my block, all of whom do their fair share of barking.... (and are sometimes the REASON mine bark, you know how it goes, one starts and they all jump in!) the difference being, the OTHER dogs belong to people who are friends of the complaintant, and NOT someone they are trying to drive from their "perfect" little nieghbourhood... LOL
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 12:45 pm

Athena

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 10:48am PST 
Thanks guys smile

And Romeo - the problem is that they aren't actually doing anything ILLEGAL. Just being anal and annoying. For example... my street has a 2 hour parking max from 8-5 Monday to Friday. So if I DARE leave my car on the street, they will just sit and wait for 2 hours to be up and call the cops. I mean WHO CARES.... it's in front of my own house! Because I don't own the house I can't get a parking permit.

These are the ways in which they are waging war. Oh well.... we are actually looking at moving (AGAIN) because we can't deal with these people. I hope this house turns into a brothel, or worse. That's what they deserve!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 12:45 pm

Athena

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 9:54am PST 
Hello everyone!

Well, it turns out I have moved into the neighbourhood from HADES. I'll make this as short as possible, but here we go... everyone around me is retired and has been living here for 20-30 years. All the houses have been beautifully reno'd and are meticulously cared for. Then, there's my place! It's an older home that has NOT been reno'd and is surely the only rental on the block. Then me and the BF move in, and all the nosy neighbours seem to think, "there goes the neighbourhood".

Anyway, the lengths they are going to to get us out is close to harassment. And the worst part is, they are ALL retired and have nothing better to do but wage war on us "hooligans".

Well, recently one of them has called by law on my dogs, for barking. Now in all honestly, yes my dogs bark BUT not in excess. They'll bark when someone walks by the front of the house and sometimes when they're out in the backyard playing. And that's about it. They do not bark out of boredom, etc.

I would say that each "instance" of barking never lasts more than say, 30 seconds.

WELL.... We get a letter from By Law telling us someone has complained, and that they have been told to keep track of every instance of barking, and that we can be fined $100 per instance!

If that's the case, I'll be paying about $300 - $500 a day to live in this house!

I do NOT know what to do. Everything is so tense around here, because the SECOND one of the dogs (ok, well it's mostly Athena) makes a peek we have to run after her screaming "NO".

How can I get this to stop??? I do not want to resort to something like a "bark collar" but I am really unsure if I have a choice. I could literally be fined out of house and home over this.

Advice? PLEASE?!?!?!
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 12:45 pm

Food & Nutrition > When to switch from puppy to adult food?
Athena

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '07 10:25pm PST 
Athena's 7 months old now. Anyone know when she should start on adult dog food?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by ~Bandit~, Dec 13 12:59 pm

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.