GO!

(Page 1 of 14: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  

Dog Health > Desperately need relief for itchy skin!
wilbur- ☮

big black- snugglebug

Barked: Wed Jan 21, '09 9:53pm PST 
Aw, Maebe, we feel for ya!
I went through the same thing with Wilbur. Months and months of trying to figure things out.... turns out he, too, is allergic to flea bites and even one bite just sends him over the edge. I know how awful it is to watch your furry buddy scratch all day and night. It's just awful.
Like a previous poster mentioned, it took about 2 months of Frontline Plus (which I applied every 3 weeks) plus Capstar every other day for 10 days, to get rid of the itchies. Also, treat your yard with fireant killer. The effective ingredient is the same as Frontline's. One thing I did WRONG was overbathing the poor dude. Once every couple weeks is plenty, especially with dry skin.
Just keep up the treatments, vacuum a couple times a week (throw out the bag or the contents of the canister outside), treat your carpet with Borax or Dietamaceous (sp?) earth, and wash bedding frequently. You WILL beat this!
I know what a pain it is, though, and how awful it really is for a dog who is truly allergic. We are thinking of you and hoping things get less itchy soon!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Mar 25 7:18 am

Dog Health > Fleas 101
wilbur- ☮

big black- snugglebug

Barked: Thu Oct 30, '08 7:49pm PST 
AUGH! I feel your pain, Pablo and Johnny. Wilbur is so allergic to flea bites- just one flea can make him itch like crazy for days on end. He has no fur left on the insides of his hind legs from all the scratching. All my pets (both dogs and the cat) are on Frontline Plus and are now on Capster (the vet said to give one Capster every other day for a week and a half because his allergy is so severe).

She also recommended I put Borax down on the carpet and especially under the sofas. Of course, my dogs get on the couches and given that fleas can jump so high and get on there anyway, I see no reason not to let them up there. I have heard mixed things about Borax but his reaction to fleas is so severe that I am willing to try anything! I did use Diatemaceous Earth a couple months ago and it helped... but now they're back.

The vet also said to put fire-ant killer in your yard. It has the same effective ingredient as Frontline. My dogs are rarely in the backyard, but again, I'll do anything. Now if only I could flea-bomb the woods where we go walking every day....

Oh yeah, you can also give Benadryl to help with the itching. The dosage is 1mg/pound but check with your vet first. It didn't help Wilbur, but I know it has helped other dogs.

I really hope you can figure it out soon. Fleas are really not fun. hug
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Oct 31 2:39 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Looking for a baby border collie

wilbur- ☮

big black- snugglebug

Barked: Tue Oct 28, '08 3:47pm PST 
Here's a couple:

right here

here's another one

this one is a baby

these guys aren't too far from you

Hope that helps!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 29 5:26 pm

Grooming > Plucking Ear Hair Q

wilbur- ☮

big black- snugglebug

Barked: Tue Oct 28, '08 3:22pm PST 
Bingly, sorry- I missed that part of the post. Musta skimmed right over it. I think you're a great dog owner! No one is a perfect dog owner, but we sure do our best.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , Nov 17 5:26 am

wilbur- ☮

big black- snugglebug

Barked: Tue Oct 28, '08 1:13pm PST 
BOL- Bingly! Jade didn't call anyone a bad owner! eek

All Jade did was give you advice.... cleaning the dog's ears regularly.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by , Nov 17 5:26 am

wilbur- ☮

big black- snugglebug

Barked: Sun Oct 26, '08 7:57pm PST 
I work for Levi's momma, who is a groomer, and I've never ever heard a doggie yelp when their ear hair got plucked. Maybe she just has a special knack for it? Wonder if she'll pop in here and let us know what she thinks....
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by , Nov 17 5:26 am

Choosing the Right Dog > what\'s the craziest mix you\'ve ever seen?

wilbur- ☮

big black- snugglebug

Barked: Sun Oct 26, '08 7:50pm PST 
The other day at work I bathed a golden/basset mix! He has the body of a basset but everything else was golden! He was a sweet, sweet boy with a very waggy tail!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 18 9:03 pm

Dog Health > These are a few of my fav-or-ite things!

wilbur- ☮

big black- snugglebug

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 1:00pm PST 
We love bully sticks, too! Mom doesn't have any problem feeding them to us... we'd rather no part of the animal go to waste, anyway. Lots of things that American humans think are icky really aren't icky to people in other parts of the world. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Oct 27 12:38 pm

Dog Health > These are a few of my fav-or-ite things!

wilbur- ☮

big black- snugglebug

Barked: Tue Oct 21, '08 5:50pm PST 
The Chuck-It. Mostly for Mom's preventive medicine... I figure she's preventing a torn rotator cuff or something! Char could play fetch for HOURS. And she does, most days!

Diatomaceous earth- It was the holy grail in our quest to get rid of the fleas.

Apple cider vinegar for clearing up hot spots quickly.

Caring veterinarians. We seem to be lucky in finding doctors that we like and that Mom respects.

Dogster and our dogster pals! That is self-explanatory!
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Oct 27 12:38 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Safe seasonings?
wilbur- ☮

big black- snugglebug

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 9:31pm PST 
We get a little parsley and teeny bit of garlic powder. We would also like to campaign for the fact that dog fur is indeed safe seasoning for people food. wink

eta- Forgot to mention that once a week or so, we get a little tablespoon of coconut oil in our food. We love it!
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Mar 11 11:54 pm

(Page 1 of 14: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.