Postings by Saskia

GO!

(Page 1 of 14: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  

Food & Nutrition > Need Help on Enticing Treats
Saskia

The Socialite

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 12:16pm PST 
I use a small meaty treat called Lean Treats for training. They are the ideal size for training and cost about $2-3 for a 4oz bag. I believe they are only sold through veterinarians and like outlets. Unlike hot dogs, cheese, and biscuits, they are very low in calories (about 7 cal each). They are made by Bil Jac, but are much healthier than their well known liver treats. The first ingredient in Lean Treats is skinless chicken and the second ingredient is chicken liver. My dogs will do anything for them.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Taser, May 21 12:10 pm

Food & Nutrition > So You Are Confused By Dog Food
Saskia

The Socialite

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 12:08pm PST 
I am HOPING that Sedona has an M.S. or PhD in animal nutrition to be shelling out so much subjective information.

Always question sources of information and be sure they have received adequate accredited education to back up their accusations and theories!

This is an open forum, LOTS of ideologies and belief systems are "taught" and believed to be fact. Check out everything before just accepting it as the truth.

Take everything you read on open forums with a grain of salt to prevent misinformation.
[notify]
» There has since been 591 posts. Last posting by Buddy, Aug 15 11:18 am

Dog Health > Help me with what I should get Boo tested for please!

Saskia

The Socialite

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 9:43am PST 
If it were my pet, I would run a full health panel (DHP if in house) with CBC. With the loose stool and weight loss I would want to check those liver and kidney enzymes to make sure there isn't a bigger problem. The CBC will certainly give a more comprehensive look at Boo's blood count to determine if there are signs of an infection, anemia etc, which are pieces to the diagnostic puzzle for a veterinarian - the more pieces the more accurate the diagnosis. Good luck and let us know Boo's outcome!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Hudson, May 20 9:39 am

Dog Health > Flea & Tick Control

Saskia

The Socialite

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 9:37am PST 
Or you can use a safe, effective, waterproof product that will kill ticks within 24 hours and is easy to find and apply - Frontline Plus. It has been around for 14 years and billions of applications have been given. It really is the best choice when you weigh price, efficacy, safety and availability. We use it here in NC, I have not had a tick or flea problem in 7 years (and we live on a farm).
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 19 1:30 pm

Dog Health > At what age did you get fixed/are getting fixed?

Saskia

The Socialite

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 9:31am PST 
Saskia was spayed a couple of months ago at 3 years old. Estrogen is important for bone development and density, so we kept our girl parts until we finished the majority of our growing. Don't lecture me about mammary tumors.
smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Saskia, May 19 9:31 am

Dog Health > bORDETELLA/gIARDIA/ADVANTAGE OR FRONTLINE/HEARTGARD
Saskia

The Socialite

Barked: Wed Mar 25, '09 11:02am PST 
You definitely want to give your pup some form of monthly heartworm preventative. Heartgard is a great choice as it is the safest and easiest to give (you won't be finding spat out pills behind the couch as with some other less palatable preventatives). California has the highest increase in heartworm incidence in the US because there is a general census that heartworm isn't prevelant. If I remember correctly, California holds the highest increase in reported cases of heartworm.

Your vet will be familiar with your pet's disease risks. If he/she is seeing a spike in the incidence of giardia in the area, they may be recommending the vaccine to owners who take their pets who have a higher risk for exposure. It is hard to say if it was "unnecesary" or not.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Saskia, Mar 25 11:02 am

Dog Health > i'm never using flea/tick medicine again!

Saskia

The Socialite

Barked: Wed Mar 25, '09 10:52am PST 
Sorr about your reaction Jessica. Sounds like you used Promeris.

When choosing meds, think safety first, efficacy second.

P.S. Vectra 3D is made/owned by Hartz Mountain - which makes all those horrible OTC products.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Adlai, Apr 2 11:19 am

Behavior & Training > rant: Ignorant and irresponsible dog owners

Saskia

The Socialite

Barked: Sat Mar 21, '09 9:50am PST 
You should expect this at a dog park... just one reason not to go.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Brutus, Mar 22 8:16 pm

Behavior & Training > Odd "People" behavior at the Dog Park [rantish]

Saskia

The Socialite

Barked: Mon Nov 3, '08 6:24pm PST 
Miko,
I lived at an apartment complex for a few months several years ago and I had similar experiences with loose dogs. People walking their dogs off leash and being offended when you try to shoo their dogs away from your own. I used to report them to the complex who would fine renters whose dogs were found off leash. Dogs would end up wandering the neighborhood because they would be left on the porches and would scale the porch railing... it was insane. I feel for all of those who live in complexes with pets.
The truth though is that we are all complaining about each other. At some point we have all slipped up and been the one on the other side of the story. It is all a matter of perspective and how we handle the situations we find ourselves (and our dogs) in. No one is perfect and while everyone can't be the most conscientious owner at least there are people out there willing to make the effort - that gives a lot of animals homes who otherwise might not have one.
Peace
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 3 10:13 pm

Dog Health > ive got a solution to the overpopulation of pets(your opinion)
Saskia

The Socialite

Barked: Sun Nov 2, '08 4:39pm PST 
You have no idea why I have a dog from that kennel and I do not feel the need to justify. I can say that when I get into something I don't do it half way. And my point of view has nothing to do with any of the dogs I currently own or kennels I have relationships with - that is why I have relationships with them.
I understand that there are breeding programs based on an animals ability, particularly field trials and related sports. I was raised in a home where DEA dogs were born and raised (before they had compounds for this). I just see that the industry is significantly overwhelmed with breeding for conformation vs. breeding for performance based attributes. That was my whole point.
If I choose to use rhetorical verbage in my posts, as in my first post, to make a point I do not see a problem with that. I just think that there is a bit too much of a 'control' issue with breeders (most that I have come in contact with on this website and in the industry) and their "followers". It is simply what I have witnessed as a 'fly on the wall' of the industry. I am entitled to an opinion and this is a forum for voicing it. That's it.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Megan, Nov 2 6:00 pm

(Page 1 of 14: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.