GO!

(Page 1 of 24: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Maremma > Hi there - I'm Bella
SaHaRa

doggerbloggy.blo- gspot.com

Barked: Tue Sep 2, '08 6:29pm PST 
Hi fellow Maremma's! I'm currently fostering a Maremma until he heals from his leg surgery, and boy...a Maremma is not what I expected! I'd appreciate ANY help I can get for this one - he seems a little slow, and at 18months, he still chews absolutely anything he can get his gums around. He walks into things, doesn't answer to his name...he's perfectly healthy (and not deaf like I first thought!) so is it just a breed thing?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 20 8:24 am

Dog Health > Post Cruciate Ligament help.
SaHaRa

Barked: Tue Sep 2, '08 6:03pm PST 
Sahara is going under the knife on Friday morning to have her anterial cruciate ligament fixed. I am opting for the 'figure of eight' method rather than the wedge, and have been looking into hydrotherapy and physiotherapy to help aid her recovery. I am absolutely terrified of A) her being away from me for the night while she recovers, in case something goes wrong (I'm beginning to realize I'm a little over protective..!) but more that I will do something wrong/wont be able to do enough to help her recover. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can improve her recovery? (Aside from the lots of love she will be receiving smile

She was showing great promise in agility and fly ball, and of course ruled the group of nine dogs she runs with, as she's the only lady. Is there any chance she will ever be the same?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sep 2 6:03 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Animal Websites/ Newsletters

SaHaRa

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '08 5:05pm PST 
doggerbloggy.blogspot.com

Thats ours, and there's links to other sites via it!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Feb 12 4:07 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Shelter vs. Pet Store

SaHaRa

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '07 6:52pm PST 
I can never justify Sahara being a pet shop puppy, but I sure as hell try, and for me, this sums it up -

I entered the pet store looking for fish food, and saw the most beautiful puppy in the world. She came home, because she was the last of her litter. I overheard, in the store, she was due for the carpet. And by that, I mean she would have been rolled in carpet and jumped on; the pet stores way of dealing with a loss.

Their loss was the greatest gain of my life, and I swore I'd never purchase from a pet store - I never will again. Hygiene, 'bloodlines', health wise or not - all they are doing is simply promoting bad treatment of animals. There's generally a reason shelters refuse to adopt out, and that's never an option for a pet shop - as long as they get their ridiculous price for their animal, they don't care where it's going to.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Dec 22 9:13 am

Behavior & Training > How to cope with killing my other pets

SaHaRa

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '07 1:34am PST 
Thank you all for the kind responses. Even after a few days, it's still hard to deal with, but things are getting better. And I realized I'm taking it out too much on my dogs - I'm horribly unhappy with them, but I know I can never stop loving them, and the still need to know that. Sahara was urinating whenever she looked at me, and Phoenix was becoming extremely anti social. Bad behaviour,strong prey drive, whatever - they're still the loves of my life, and as hurt as I am, I know time will help.

So again, thank you for the help. I truly appreciate you sending such kind words, and sharing your stories, as horrible as they were.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Nov 30 8:03 am

Behavior & Training > How to cope with killing my other pets
SaHaRa

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '07 3:56pm PST 
Yesterday evening, Sahara and Phoenix killed my rabbit, LuLu. She had gotten out previously, and I had double checked everything was secure before coming inside, only to hear Sahara's excited bark. I knew immediately something was wrong.

I feel terribly guilty. My rabbit was a 'rescue rabbit' and I was so excited to be giving her a new and better life, yet I feel like turning myself to the RSPCA for being responsible for my dogs butchering her. I have a few seconds where I realize it's nature for dogs to kill rabbits, and I even mostly believe they had no intention of actually harming her, they would have been so excited to play with her. I can imagine them jumping on her to initiate play, rather than savaging her.

But either way, I am terribly upset. I can't believe how badly I have taken it - I do not want to see either dog, to the extent I refused, for the first time since either has come home, to be anywhere near them - and they slept in the kitchen and bathroom, instead of next to me in bed. It got to the point last night I asked my partner to take them away from me. I know I could never part with either of them, they are absolutely 100% the loves of my life, but right now I'm scared of how upset I am with them. What if this doesn't pass, and I don't love them how I used to? I know this sounds quite childish, but I really am struggling to cope right now. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Nov 30 8:03 am

Puppy Place > After spay craziness!

SaHaRa

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '07 9:53pm PST 
10 days for a Lab X puppy?

Ha.

She came home and jumped clear over my couch.

4 stitches later and a lot of worry on my part, it was still no easier keeping her quiet.

Try mental activities that don't require too much physical activity - hide some treats under coffee mugs and make her find the right one, play hide and seek (avoid stares) or just sit quietly whilst she goes insane and slowly count the minutes til you can let her go nuts without the worry of her insides falling out.

thinking
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Oct 20 8:45 am

Puppy Place > Did I pick the wrong name for her?

SaHaRa

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '07 9:49pm PST 
I copped it for Sahara's name being too long - our family's a very sort of 'chuck' or 'harry' kind of name family, and they thought yelling three syllables was a little hard.

As for Phoenix - he'll be Felix to my Nanna forever more.

You win some, you lose some. Isis is a gorgeous name, for a gorgeous pup. It's ultimately your choice, and as you said, you fell in love with the name when you first heard it.

It's you yelling it out all the time, so make sure you love to scream it!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Oct 19 5:19 pm

Dog Health > Vaccines: Your Stance

SaHaRa

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '07 9:44pm PST 
...headless dogs? My word shock

I'm dubious to vaccines simply on a human stand point - my mother developed ME after her Hep B vaccine, and has severe allergic reactions to any vaccine since. I've had some problems with similar medical issues, and steer clear unless absolutely necessary.

Sahara traveled 1500km in the week we got her - no problems at all, slept soundly, loved looking out the window etc. Enter her 2nd round of vaccinations on the way home from our family Xmas the week after - vomiting, severe diarrohea, lethargy and shocking amounts of drooling, within 20minutes of her shot.

For nearly 8 weeks after her shot, and the 3rd and final dose, she was a changed dog. No more road trips.

She's due again in January. We're not legally allowed to take her pretty much anywhere - parks, boarding kennels, dog minders, to certain vets - if she hasn't got her vaccinations up to date. I'm really looking into if I want her yearly booster for parvo/distemper.

We don't get rabies shots here, so it's just Parvo & Distemper/kennel cough we get vaccinated against.
[notify]
» There has since been 55 posts. Last posting by , Oct 22 5:32 pm

Puppy Place > Kneeing an innocent puppy in the face.....abuse?
SaHaRa

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '07 1:50am PST 
People suck.
[notify]
» There has since been 34 posts. Last posting by , Oct 12 7:04 am

(Page 1 of 24: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.