GO!

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

Grooming > Why do you not shave a husky?
ARCH Demon RL1, RL2, RL3, RLV

Intimidation- seldom- facilitates- learning

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 4:53am PST 
I don't shave most of my pommies, but they do get clipped down to their undercoat every year. And they appear much more comfortable in the heat AFTER I do this.

My groomer HAS made a mistake in the past and shaved them and Kaluha was shaved because clipping him was far more traumatic than shaving, and it never prevented their coats from coming back in beautifully by the fall.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 16 4:53 am

Behavior & Training > Sarah hates...

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 3:36am PST 
Oh, stand, ick, I hate halt-sit-stand. It was ALWAYS a crapshoot with Asher, I never knew if he was going to do it or not. Moving stands? He rocked. Down or sit stands? Ick.

As a result, the rest of my dogs have a really nice halt=sit=stand and a decent down-stand.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 11 10:16 pm

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 2:45pm PST 
You will be fine. Do the lure 6 times, than use the same hand movement without food and jackpot when she gets it.

And sits and downs will only lose you a point or so if they are crooked (unless they are very crooked). It is hard to see what is straight with a small dog. Do you have a big mirror to practice with or someone who can click position for you?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 10:16 pm

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 12:17pm PST 
I am sorry, I DID assume this was for Rally? Am I correct?

Those right finishes are fine for C-WAGS Rally. Cleaning it up comes with time (for example, I am working on getting Demon's finishes on verbal only and getting those hoppy, jumping into place left finishes).

What level do you plan to enter? There are no finishes in Starter, only forwards. And no left pivots (although I LIKE left pivots because I have a dog that backs into heel on a left pivot).

You look great. Don't stress.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 10:16 pm

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 10:35am PST 
I would click when she hits position. Remember, sometimes you do a right forward and sometimes a right finish. In C-Wags, the direction (right or left) can be a separate cue from the sit at the end of a finish. So sit would be additional and probably loosely chained to the finish (as a cue to start walking would be lossley chained to the forward).
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 10:16 pm

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 9:42am PST 
Usually they like 360's no bigger than a hoola hoop.

Have you tried using 2 treats for a right finish? One in the right hand to bring her behind your back and the other in the left to lure her into heel position? For small dogs I also tend to show the treat than toss it around behind my back (holding it low) so it ends in back of me on the left, then use a treat in my left to get the dog in heel.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 10:16 pm

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 8:59am PST 
How about when she hits position, you plop down a fistful of food between her front paws and straight up quit. Food between the paws helps her hold the down while eating.

Then start adding duration before the click.

Left or right finishes? They are not too hard to teach. I teach my students using a lure but I personally prefer perchwork.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 10:16 pm

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 3:38am PST 
Wow, congratulations!

Have you tried doing the protocols for relaxation with her?
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 10:16 pm

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 5:14pm PST 
Yay, Gunther!!!! Glad it helped. But I have to confess, it's not mine. I tend to steal from the best I can find (and don't always make it my own).

I think it is a great game for competition because it builds dogs that drop on a dime.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 10:16 pm

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 4:50pm PST 
Ah, but C-WAGS just started Scent Detectives (note to self, I really MUST take the judge's test as I helped write it lol), so you could try that. It is all containers.

And they just started a games class too (and I need to take THAT test also).

I have taught AKC/UKC Rally and am an APDT Rally judge and I think out of those venues, C-WAGS is my favorite, the most challenging and the most fun!
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 10:16 pm

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.