Postings by Roxie, NPC

GO!

(Page 1 of 29: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > New Puppy Scared of Everything
Roxie, NPC

I'm a poodle! - Got a problem- with that??

Barked: Mon Mar 23, '09 8:05pm PST 
Thanks for all your advice Cracker! I appreciate it and I will look into those things for sure.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Roxie, NPC, Mar 23 8:05 pm

Roxie, NPC

Barked: Mon Mar 23, '09 2:39pm PST 
Just to clarify it's not my dog we are talking about. Her dog Daisy (my dogs were socalized as pups and are great with both people and other pups) is the one we are talking about here. 4 months old.

I have recommended puppy classes to my sister but her budget does not allow it right now (although I did warn her on the expenses she might have to undertake when she got the dog.. but I was talking to a person who was made deaf from the cuteness of a puppy).

Could use some more suggestions or ideas ... things that worked for you.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Roxie, NPC, Mar 23 8:05 pm

Roxie, NPC

Barked: Mon Mar 23, '09 5:03am PST 
Hi there, I am coming here for help for my sister and her new puppy. Daisy is a 4 month old lab/ rottie/ shepherd mix (we think). She was adopted from another home where a woman had several children. My sister has 2 boys. Daisy is wonderful with my sister's kids but pretty much everyone she meets whether it is in the house or out on the street she is very scared of. She barks at the person, hides behind my sister and has even barred her teeth and snapped at people who try to pet her. I had her over at my house for socialization she played with my 2 dogs fine and once she warmed up to us...she was also fine. My dogs were never like this so I am not sure how to help her. I told her she has to introduce the dog to as many people as possible and let the pooch know people are OK. She says people are scared of her..,.. and I just worry about when the dog is fully grown and 50 pounds ... even more people will be scared. Any suggestions on getting this new pup over her fear of people?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Roxie, NPC, Mar 23 8:05 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Jake Has Gone to the Bridge

Roxie, NPC

Barked: Sat Mar 7, '09 7:59pm PST 
It's been a few days since my family lost Jake. My mom adopted him from the shelter about 7 years ago.. at that time they estimated him to be between 6 and 7 years old. When my mom moved, Jake went to live with my sister and her 2 boys (ages 10 and 6). He recently had been not feeling well but still managed to get out and play with the kids. On Tuesday he became quite ill and had trouble walking. Wednesday morning he was gone. The vet believes he had several tumours and one in his instine which probably burst. He collapsed near the front door of my sister's home, while she was outside. I can't help but feel sad but also know he didn't suffer and take a bit of comfort in knowing we did not have to make a choice in the matter. The vet says even if we had brought him in the week before, there would not have been anything they could do.
Although Jake and I never lived in the same house, he was still partally "my dog". I will miss him very much but take some comfort in knowing he is young and free again at the bridge. My concern is for my young nephews who have lost a pet and friend. Please keep them in your thoughts.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Raven RIP 9/17/97-12/16/08, Mar 7 9:42 pm

Behavior & Training > New Human Baby on the way

Roxie, NPC

Barked: Sat Jan 31, '09 9:48am PST 
Thanks for the responses! Some great ideas in there. I have had a few babies over (nephews and friends) and the dogs seem to be fine. But when it's all the time, I just don't want them to feel left out. I know one thing we have to work on is the stroller issue. I would love to able to go for walks with the dogs and the stroller, but I know Roxie is afraid of them... so we will have to do a little work on that.
Hoping to have my baby shower early so we can have alot of the stuff around for a few months and let the dogs get used to the idea.
Thanks again for the tips.. I fully plan on using some of them.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Cassie 6/9/2000-10/14/2012, Jan 31 10:10 am

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Hotel for Dogs movie
Roxie, NPC

Barked: Sun Jan 25, '09 7:31am PST 
Ok.. maybe I am missing something... sure the whole movie is far fetched with all the things the kids design and the huge building they find and set up as a hotel.. so wny should it matter what kind of dogs are in this movie? Seriously. The tag line is "No Stray Is Turned Away". I think it is a great movie for kids to see... to show them how dogs can have different personalities and that a rescue dog (be it purebred or stray) can make a great friend. I doubt an 8 year old is going to say to her friends "I loved the movie but I really don't think a standard poodle would show up in a rescue". NO WAY! She is gonna think about that movie when she is old enough to choose a dog for her own (or maybe help influence her parents) to look for a stray/shelter dog first.
Not to mention.. if you know the stories behind each dog-rescue.. they have messages that kids should hear too. The yorkie was a "purse dog" who was abandoned when her owner didn't want the accessory anymore... The Husky was from a puppy mill... one of the dogs is just "old" not wanted.. and the pitbull was abandoned when the family had a human baby.

YES.. it may be a bit far fetched but the main message is a great one. It maybe be a "stupid" concept for some but it has some value in it's underlying meaning.
Just my 2 cents.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , Mar 3 2:48 pm

Behavior & Training > New Human Baby on the way

Roxie, NPC

Barked: Sun Jan 25, '09 7:21am PST 
Hey everyone.. another new addition to our family is on the way. My husband and I are expecting our first baby in July. I have the 2 dogs (and 2 cats) ... who have been the spoiled babies of the house. I know they love children and I am not worried about that, however I want to know if anyone has tips or ideas to make the transition easier for them (and me too).
Roxie can get jealous and I want to make sure she does not start having behavioural issues because she feels something has "replaced her".
So I have a few months to prepare. Any advice?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Cassie 6/9/2000-10/14/2012, Jan 31 10:10 am

What I Love About Dogster > Who\'s anti-squirrel???

Roxie, NPC

Barked: Sun Jan 25, '09 7:16am PST 
DEATH TO SQUIRRELS!!!

Darn tree rats.
Mommy gets mad when I scratch at the front window... (she has had to replace 3 screens).
BUT.. Darn.. those things come right up on the porch and waive their furry tails in my face.. what am I supposed to do?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Dahlia, Jan 25 10:09 am

Behavior & Training > Who needs a cat?

Roxie, NPC

Barked: Thu Oct 9, '08 7:50pm PST 
Yes we are talking a real rat and not a mouse. I had to get the thing from under the fence ( so my neigbours did not find it in their yard). It was cute (yes I am a softie) I felt bad for a minute and then realized.. the thing was in MY yard and it should have known better. But I still got a bit of a lump in my throat when I picked it up .. poor thing.
Ok.. now I would be REALLY freaked out if they brought in HALF A RAT!!! yuck!
They are up to date on their shots and the thing did not look .... um... un-stuffed in anyway so I am not too worried about them getting sick. Silly pups.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Molly, Oct 10 1:22 am

Behavior & Training > Who needs a cat?
Roxie, NPC

Barked: Thu Oct 9, '08 10:37am PST 
So .. I let the dogs out this morning to go pee. I went to let them in and Roxie (my standard poodle) ... went charging under the deck which is not like her at all.. I figured something scared her.

Well NOoooooooo sir. She comes running out the other side with Daisy (my Goldendoodle) and they are chasing a ... wait for it.... A RAT!

The thing was alive and at first I couldn't tell what they were chasing around the yard.. thought it might be a baby bunny or a squirrel. So I was naturally horrified. Roxie began jumping on it and grabbing it in her mouth and throwing it up in the air!! The thing was squeeking and I didn't know what to do. It kinda got away from her and crawled under the fence. She grabbed it by the tail and played with it some more before it got away under the fence again.

I went to take a look and saw the thing laying on it's side breathing heavy but then it just stopped breathing. I got a stick and poked it.. and yes sir, it was dead.

First of all what the heck is a RAT doing in my back yard??!?!?!? There is nothing in my yard right now.. we just ripped out the deck and the pool and laid sod... so there is no where for rats to hide. My neighbourhood is fairly nice and it's not like we have back alleys or anything like that.. so I am worried about that.

Secondly... EWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! I guess who needs cats when you have a poodle? I am glad it was a rat and not a cute fuzzy animal like a bunny or something but I am also glad I caught them in the act before they ... well... made a mess of it.

Just thought I would share my experience.shock
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Molly, Oct 10 1:22 am

(Page 1 of 29: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.