Postings by ♥ Lucia, CGC ♥

GO!

(Page 1 of 54: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > Cane corso... anyone own one, or know about em?
♥- Lucia, CGC- ♥

Thanks for- rescuing!

Barked: Tue May 15, '07 6:06am PST 
Raven?
That's what you know?
I think you have some incorrect information as well. I'd appreciate it if you checked your sources and made sure where you obtained your 'facts' was actually a true authority on Cane Corsos before you stated them in a public forum and gave people the wrong and a false impression of a breed that is absolutely wonderful.

------ way to go---------way to go-------way to go

Cane Corsos were bred originally to guard cattle, herds and property. It was bred to be a strong protector of it's family. It was also used to hunt as to assist auxiliaries is war. But it was not bred for that purpose and it certainly was not bred to kill people. You can use a poodle for hunting or as an auxiliary dog if you trained it to be. The only difference would be the effectiveness.

It is one of the best, if not the best, large breed dog with people that exists. I mean, this breed received it's NAME from the Latin word for 'guardian'! They are gentle, loving, affectionate, and so smart and easily trained that it's mind boggling.

They'll do anything they can to please their owner. They are not fighting dogs and they were not bred to be so. But that doesn't mean if a dog comes challenging them, they won't fight back, because they will. They are strong, large, and dominant to other dogs, but so obedient and willing with humans that you wouldn't believe them being capable of hurting a fly.

I have two small daughters, and Lucia was the best dog that's ever been around them. That is counting German Shepherds, Boxers, a Corgi, Jack Russell, Boston Terrier and a few mutts here and there. She played with them on end and loved them dearly. When strangers approached them: she had no problem exhibiting her original, instinctual purpose and bristling her fur in warning: that if you hurt her family, you'd have her to deal with.

Off of our property, they realize that they have no property to guard and are very relaxed and level. Dog parks were never a problem, and I know two other Corso owners [one with two of them, both hovering around 130 lbs] who frequently take theirs to an off leash dog park and they have never caused an issue. They were not bred to kill anything out of anything but necessity.

But being a strong, dominant breed they must be handled carefully. They must be socialized from the first day you have them. They need to remain with their litter-mates and mother for @ least 8-12 weeks if possible in order to learn their place in the family hierarchy. Take them pet stores, dog parks [leashes ON for the first few months of their lives], and other pet friendly outings. Get them used to strangers and other animals.

Obedience training is essential. They love to play. Backpacks can be helpful when training them, because they love to have a specific job to do. Do not train them aggressively, because their feelings are easily bruised. They are big chewers. They can jump EXTREMELY high so you'd need to invest in a 6 foot privacy fence. I wouldn't recommend an apartment, because they are so large and they do need space. But they could handle it. They'd appreciate another large dog to play with, most preferably of the opposite sex.

They need training, socialization, and love more than anything.

There are many to be rescued, but some are more bandogges than Corso. Their breed has been molested, especially up north, where mixes with Neopolitans for size and Pit Bulls for tenacity is common. If you use a breeder, please check them thoroughly. If you decide to rescue [YAY!! applause] make sure you find out as much about the dog and it's history as you're able.

Be prepared to spend a decent amount of money on toys [they love to chew and play fetch, but their teeth will destroy most toys quite easily] and food [I recommend Innova Evo] because they can eat quite a bit and a quality dog food is essential in keeping their muscle mass in proportion.

I could go on, but it'd be forever. So I'll stop now. *bol*

As far as their ears being chopped the @#$! off, that started when they were first bred because when guarding their herds, they would have their ears ripped off by wolves and other predators. It became a procedure that was just synonymous with the breed, and is something has been done since almost the beginning of their existence.

*Edited to add: Sorry if I came across as mean or harsh. Mods, edit as you see fit.*
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Kiona CGC, May 16 6:06 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Cane corso... anyone own one, or know about em?
♥- Lucia, CGC- ♥

Thanks for- rescuing!

Barked: Mon May 14, '07 5:58pm PST 
The Cane Corso is a great breed, for the right owner. Exercise and socialization is most important for us, but really not that hard. We are territorial and protective but very easily trained and we are VERY good with people and other dogs [mostly of the opposite sex and not dominant]. Especially children! We are great!!

I will address this more tomorrow but I do have to say that Josie:
you have some wrong information. My breed is most definitely not mixed with PitBull.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Kiona CGC, May 16 6:06 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Adopt 07Stroll & Contest: Prizes & Details

♥- Lucia, CGC- ♥

Thanks for- rescuing!

Barked: Sun May 6, '07 7:25pm PST 
Okay every doggie it's the last week to enter!!!
Try to win some of these awesome prizes!!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , May 22 7:21 am

Other Barks & Woofs > Adopt 07 Stroll & Contest: Prizes & Details

♥- Lucia, CGC- ♥

Thanks for- rescuing!

Barked: Sun May 6, '07 7:24pm PST 
Okay every doggie it's the last week to enter!!!
Try to win some of these awesome prizes!!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Gibbon, May 18 9:24 pm

♥- Lucia, CGC- ♥

Thanks for- rescuing!

Barked: Thu May 3, '07 10:25am PST 
wave
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Gibbon, May 18 9:24 pm

♥- Lucia, CGC- ♥

Thanks for- rescuing!

Barked: Thu May 3, '07 10:24am PST 
Thanks for entering!
We've bookmarked your diary entry and good luck!!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , May 22 7:21 am

♥- Lucia, CGC- ♥

Thanks for- rescuing!

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 6:49am PST 
puppy
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , May 22 7:21 am

♥- Lucia, CGC- ♥

Thanks for- rescuing!

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 6:49am PST 
That's so cool: mom didn't think she'd sent in the bigger file they asked for. Maybe she did and doesn't remember. Her memory is disappearing like her waistline.

*stole that from another Dogster pup's mom* *BOL*
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Gibbon, May 18 9:24 pm

♥- Lucia, CGC- ♥

Thanks for- rescuing!

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '07 4:47pm PST 
DID YOU SEE ME?
WAS I REALLY THERE??
REAALLLYYY???

I forgot all about it!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Gibbon, May 18 9:24 pm

♥- Lucia, CGC- ♥

Thanks for- rescuing!

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '07 4:47pm PST 
You're all done!
Your pics are in the stroll so now you just sit back and wait for the results to be announced. You can expect the winners list about within a week of the end of the contest [05.14.07]...
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , May 22 7:21 am

(Page 1 of 54: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.