Postings by Arrow

GO!

(Page 1 of 89: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Ever notice that *most * behavior problems are breed related?
Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Tue Oct 6, '09 5:44am PST 
I'm on the "it's both" camp.

For example, our Jackie is a hunter. She has always been a hunter despite my attempts when she was a pup to socialize her with other animals. I would never say I can't trust her behavior with a cat or a rabbit, because I can. She will, 100% of the time, do her best to kill it. You can trust in that.

For her, it's completely nature. Because we did the best anyone could do to get her to stop. Otherwise, this formerly horridly naughty dog is beautifully behaved.

Arrow it's nurture. Her big issue is territorial/protective barking. And it was learned. Terriers by nature can be fiercely protective of their families from percieved dangers. And to her, the house to our left represents danger. We had a series of neighbors living there who were awful, a true threat, and whom we regularly called the cops on. Now that we have normal neighbors who are actually afraid of dogs (so won't work with us on a desensitization scheme I KNOW works--come over for dinner and give Arrow a few bites of bacon, she'll be your bestest bud for life) it's a hard road. Progress, but it's much slower than anyone wants.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Bruno, Oct 6 3:00 pm

Behavior & Training > Ever notice that *most * behavior problems are breed related?
Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Sun Oct 4, '09 11:35am PST 
I dunno...you see, some dogs don't track as "typical".
Arrow is a kerry blue. Apparently known for dog aggression and I can't tell you HOW MANY TIMES I was told they couldn't be kept with another dog of their same sex.
Because a female would kill another female dog in her home.
How they won't back down from a fight.
How they were terrier stubborn and would test my patience.
How they were soooo smart and I'd strugle to stay one step ahead.
How they are escape artists.

Yeah, um...Arrow lives quite happily with a smaller, bossier female dog.
She never meets aggression with aggression. She'll stand a "sit in," but won't fight.
She's the most obediant dog I've ever had.
She's not the sharpest tool in the shed (but we love her anyway! there is such a things as "too smart")
She won't even leave the house if we have the front door wide open.

Her problem is barking. Something kerries aren't supposed to be excessive about.
[notify]
» There has since been 45 posts. Last posting by Bruno, Oct 6 3:00 pm

Grooming > If you wanted to know the world's hardest dogs to groom!

Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 7:59am PST 
Claire--
Just curious. Are you one of those groomers, who insist I bring my dog in muzzled when I'm trying to make an appointment and state my dogs' breed?
We don't go to those.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Toto, CD, RN, CGC, Dec 9 3:46 pm

Grooming > Grooming suggestions for an itchy dog

Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Tue Nov 25, '08 6:02am PST 
Gizmo,
If you aren’t allergic to eggs, maybe your people can make you a homemade mayonnaise? My people do it for me (I, too, have lots of allergies but not to egg). They whip the raw egg with oil and then, after my shampoo, slather it on me for a few minutes, then rinse me out. If I eat it, it’s not like it’ll hurt me (it’s food, after all) and it does make my skin very moisturized.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sanford Hawley , Dec 2 9:27 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Where is the line?

Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Tue Nov 25, '08 5:57am PST 
Well, right now it's kind of even.
She's scheduled for surgery two days before Xmas (because we'll be able to spend more time with her so she can recoup well at home). We're hoping a few "ectomies" will be what she needs and taking out the diseased and damaged parts of her will allow the functional parts to...well, function properly.
Other than that, we only do non-traditional medicine. Drugs had too many side effects and interactions and either weren't really helping or were making things worse. We've moved on to "energy therapies" so, at worst, nothing happens, rather than making her worse (as the drugs were) and other simple life changes to help her out.
Yeah, her bad days are pretty bad. But the good days are pretty good, though we know...as a KBT...she can hide things well. She's been in full blown hemmoraging with a raised hematocrit and still was bouncing around with the vet asking me if I was sure she was sick (till the shot blood all over everywhere).
I guess we just need to see if this works. If it does, great. If not, we know where we stand.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ruby, Dec 4 9:36 pm

Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Tue Nov 25, '08 5:44am PST 
I didn't post as a "I hate____breeds".

I posted as a "their coat mats up for everything and need to be brushed every day...maybe twice!" I own a kbt. I love KBTs. But their coats? Not the easiest to keep nice. And if you have a toddler with sticky curious fingers? Ai. This is part of why Arrow is shaved (she also has terrible environmental allergies and keeping her hair shorter keeps her less "absorbant". Less pink eye. Less sneezing. Less itching...). She also needs her spicules pulled out, and the thickest ear hair I've ever seen yanked.

My rule of thumb is if it looks like Jim Henson made it, Invest time in grooming lessons and equiptment (and time!). But then, the more like a muppet it looks, the more attractive it is to me. big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 29 posts. Last posting by Toto, CD, RN, CGC, Dec 9 3:46 pm

Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Mon Nov 24, '08 10:46am PST 
Yeah, before Afghan or Shitzu I would have had some of these:
Bedlington terrier
SCWT
KBT
Coton de Tulear
Bolognese
Puli
Komondor

In my experiance, if it looks like a Muppet it's an effort to groom.
[notify]
» There has since been 50 posts. Last posting by Toto, CD, RN, CGC, Dec 9 3:46 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Where is the line?

Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Mon Nov 24, '08 7:52am PST 
Yes, I know she's still young. But for as long as we've known her she's been ill. So it has been years.
And yes, she does have pain. When it's really bad she won't eat or drink. And she just lays there. Thankfully, that's not every day.
And her vet, well, it's been brought up before. And we have set limits on how far we'll go with treating her (because we don't expect it'd be in her best interest to go past it), but it's kind of just out there. We know if we keep going down this road, it'll probably be the only humane thing. It's just a question of how far down the road we let her go.
It's hard to say. Her litany of complaints are serious (for the most part). I dunno what to do. We just keep taking it day by day. Have been for a few years now. Don't know what else to do.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ruby, Dec 4 9:36 pm

Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Mon Nov 24, '08 7:32am PST 
huh...
I would've though afghans to be relatively easy.
[notify]
» There has since been 54 posts. Last posting by Toto, CD, RN, CGC, Dec 9 3:46 pm

Puppy Place > I'm purebred- and I'm NOT a Westie! Vent
Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Fri Nov 21, '08 9:13am PST 
I understand your frustration, but really, as long as the misidentification isn't actually causing any problems (legally because of BSL or in your care medically) you just get used to it.

There's a family in our neighborhood who think I'm a sheep. They don't want to roast me or report my Mom for having "livestock" so it doesn't matter. They can think I'm a sheep all they want.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tucker James, Nov 21 11:24 am

(Page 1 of 89: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.