Postings by Bucca

GO!

(Page 1 of 30: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > I Passed my Delta Exam today!
Bucca

Love me!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '08 12:59pm PST 
Mom was more nervous than I was...I breezed through it like nothing was even happening...and I got Burger King for it! Mom NEVER goes through those drive-thrus (maybe once a year at best) and for her to share...well that is just unheard of!

I was already certified through our local therapy dog group and have been doing visits to facilities that do long-term care for closed-head injury patients. Mom was thinking about getting into the children's hospital program and therefore we needed the Delta certification.

I don't care where I go, just so long as people pet me and occasionally give me a treat. But the pets are most important. I like to lean on the wheelchairs while the people sitting in them pet me... smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Pepper, Mar 4 5:06 am

Bucca

Love me!

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '08 1:52pm PST 
Thanks everyone! I was already certified through our local organization, but now that I have the Delta test under my 'belt', mom is going to try and get me into the local children's hospital program. I love doing therapy work because I get lots of pets and treats! What's not to like?

That trip through the Burger King drive through was worth it, too! YUM!!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Pepper, Mar 4 5:06 am

Bucca

Love me!

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 8:17am PST 
Mom is so proud of me! I passed my delta exam to become a 'pet partner' today! I was already certified as a therapy dog by our local organization, but today I passed the next step!

In celebration, mom stopped at burger king and got me a bacon, egg, and cheese crosanwhich (sp?). It's a good day today! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Pepper, Mar 4 5:06 am

Dog Health > Dog Parks

Bucca

Love me!

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '08 3:07pm PST 
I work at an off leash private dog park and have for the past four years (it's been open for the past four and a half). We are a 20 acre facility with a pond in the warmer months, walking trails, a dedicated small dog area, lit paths at night, etc. We temperament test the dogs that use the park to look for obvious signs of aggression and require all dogs be up to date on vaccinations and have fecal checks every six months. We charge around $300 for a year membership for one dog, $65 for each additional dog from the same household (we have weekend memberships that are less, and we also have monthly billings available). It is gated access with limited staff hours for screening, upkeep, and 'policing' of policies.

Fights happen from time to time but are kept at a minimum. I have people who pay to come to our park that live next to the free dog park in the area because of the space, the nicer facilities, and the temperament testing keeps out those dogs who are real trouble makers. I have also had people that have moved to our area from other parts of the country that rave about our park and how much nicer it is than other parks they have taken their dog to...The feedback we have had has been pretty positive, and we work hard to make sure that people are getting their money's worth! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Patches, Mar 7 1:46 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Interesting Huckabee article

Bucca

Love me!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '08 7:48am PST 
I find the fact that he possibly wanted to cover it up to be disturbing. If that was my kid, they would have been hung out to dry with absolutely no help from mom and dad...
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Jan 14 11:34 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > rescuer from Hades !!!
Bucca

Love me!

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '08 4:29pm PST 
Sometimes a dog is SO attached to someone that it may be the only humane thing to do (after all other avenues have been tried). I can see situations where the dog has gone completely out of it's mind and training and time isn't healing the problem. However, I am sure that this is a rare occurance and most times the dog will re-acclimate into a new home with time and love.

This does not mean that putting a dog down just to be buried with its owner is ok. That is too nuts! And let me say again that when I say I want to be buried with my dogs, it's whenever they naturally pass away, and I pass away, I want to be cremated and mixed in with my dogs' ashes.

I have my dogs tattooed on my leg, so if I go before they do, they are going to be with me regardless...
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bucca, Jan 3 4:29 pm

Dog Health > Kidney Failure in 3 dogs in our area

Bucca

Love me!

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '08 1:43pm PST 
Is the disease acute or present and managed for a period of time. The reason I ask is if the dogs are poisoned somehow (ie. antifreeze), I would think that the kidney disease would present itself strongly and quickly, whereas if it were small doses of something over time, I would think that there would be a slower build to the decline of the dogs' health. It's just a thought...
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Pepper the Wonderdog, Jan 4 3:31 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > How can we change breedism on Dogster?

Bucca

Love me!

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '07 8:37am PST 
I wasn't trying to turn this thread into a pro/con for spay/neuter. I was simply responding to Daddy's post regarding the CBARQ test on dog aggression. I think it is very relevant to this thread, because it does touch on the tangible reasons for dog aggression (the test itself) and it shows that many breeds have aggression issues, not just one. Because of the post, I answered the questions on the test for my own dogs and was suprised at the results. In addition, I think that it is important as responsible dog owners to have control over their dogs, regardless of if they choose to spay neuter or not. I have to admit, when I see an intact dog, I jump to the conclusion that the owners are irresponsible, and I think that sometimes that can be just as bad as condemning a dog for its breed (as in I have a preconceived notion that the owner is doing the dog a disservice, when they may have a very good reason for not spay/neutering). I merely saw that test as a way to learn more about dog behavior, that is all...
[notify]
» There has since been 80 posts. Last posting by Lexi, Feb 24 12:56 am

Bucca

Love me!

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '07 5:45pm PST 
That is interesting...the funny thing is, though, I answered the questions for that test for each of my three dogs...Bucca-my easiest dog who is a therapy dog and the most laid back of the three-got more 'red flags' than Mina-my most difficult and dog aggressive dog. I don't know if I was reading how to answer the questions correctly, but it just seemed weird to me...

I agree with you, Daddy, that any dog who is socialized and properly cared for and trained shouldn't have major issues in the areas that they were looking at regardless of being intact or altered. I just thought the info you found was interesting...
[notify]
» There has since been 97 posts. Last posting by Lexi, Feb 24 12:56 am

Bucca

Love me!

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '07 7:43am PST 
Daddy-are you saying that dogs have MORE issues when they are altered? I have always heard the other way (i.e.-most dog bites occur in male dogs who are intact).
[notify]
» There has since been 101 posts. Last posting by Lexi, Feb 24 12:56 am

(Page 1 of 30: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.