Postings by Star

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Choosing the Right Dog > Scared to ever adopt rescue dogs again
Star

Barked: Mon Jan 13, '14 9:47pm PST 
Just chiming in to say I feel where you're coming from, Scruffy, and my mind has gone down the same path in the last few years. Star was a fostered rescue who was isolated for much of her puppyhood due to health problems and she had long-lasting psychological issues because of it. She could be quite unpredictable with strangers, and we had to monitor her obsessively around anyone outside of the family. Oh, and she also ate her way through a solid oak door one day when she suddenly developed separation anxiety out of the blue. -_-

Wilbur is...not normal. We half joke that he is autistic - he cannot read social cues from other dogs AT ALL, and he's just...off, in many of his behaviors. He's the cuddliest dog in the world and we love him dearly, but he is a problem too. His dog aggression can go from 0-60 VERY quickly. He's also not completely in control of his...er...physical faculties, and we've finally realized that he is simply never going to be totally housebroken, ever. My parents took up all of their carpeting to accommodate him.

Jasper is a totally awesome dog who is simply too much for me. The shelter had mistakenly labeled him as a senior dog, and I didn't hang around him long enough to realize that he was still an adolescent before I brought him home. He's creeping up on senior dog status now, but he's STILL too much dog for me, LoL.

I'm so tired of the constant vigilance it takes to own an aggressive dog. As sad as I was when Star passed, there was also relief...I don't have to be on high alert all the time when we're outside, I don't have to watch her body language when we have people over, I don't have to try to figure out how to give her a time out from guests without her panicking over being separated from the family. I miss her dearly, but the atmosphere at my parents' house is MUCH more peaceful now.

Anyhow, that got longer than I intended. Good luck with your next dog. I've been researching breeds and I think I've found the right one for me next. I'm still not all that into the idea of raising a puppy, so I'll be keeping an eye out for an adult of that breed with a known history...be it a rescue, re-home, or breeder dog. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Scruffy, Jan 15 11:17 am

Dog Health > Cost of euthanasia
Star

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 8:41pm PST 
I paid $597 to have Star euthanized, but that included private cremation and an urn, plus I live in a VERY expensive area.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jul 13 9:04 pm

Dog Health > Okay, incontinence. What now?

Star

Barked: Sun Jun 16, '13 11:55am PST 
BOL, how many older female dogs have you known?? Star lived to sixteen and was never incontinent.

As a vet tech, I saw a LOT of older female dogs on a daily basis...and I only ever recall discussing incontinence three times. It's not the sort of things owners keep to themselves.

Libby, I'm glad the new drug seems to be helping. Incontinence is no fun for anyone, that's for sure! Hopefully she'll be back to 100% soon!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Jun 17 7:01 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Good Night Star

Star

Barked: Sat May 18, '13 9:51pm PST 
My brother called today to tell me that it was Star's time. She has been having a harder time getting around lately, and today she couldn't even stand to get herself out of her potty accident. She's been slowly declining for a few months, but she had good days and bad days, so it was HARD to make that final decision.

Star's regular vet does not have Saturday hours, so I called my kitty's vet, who agreed to euthanize her.

I bought 40 chicken nuggets at a fast food place and she went to town. She ate 37 nuggets, and passed very peacefully in my arms.

I don't regret the decision...she was very old and had a loving, adventure-filled life with my family. I'm just...a little empty without her. We adopted her when I was eleven years old, and even after I moved out of my parents' house, I saw her often and loved her dearly.

Rest well darling, you are so loved.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Jun 3 5:39 am

Dog Health > Pixie broke half her dewclaw, it's hurting her... Help?

Star

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 8:33pm PST 
Star mangled her dewclaw once, it bled dramatically and was VERY painful for her. The vet snipped the hanging bits, wrapped it, and she was fine within a few days.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 4 9:04 pm

Behavior & Training > "Helpful" advice from strangers
Star

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 11:22pm PST 
Star has always been rocky with strangers, and it seems everyone we meet who asks about her has some suggestion as to hat we should be doing differently. She's a coyote hybrid, she is NOT a normal dog. We worked with a behaviorist who has a great deal of experience with coydogs, and while we got her to a much more relaxed state when out in the world, she has simply never been comfortable around strangers and we've been diligent her entire life about introducing new people to her slowly.

Now that she's so old the advice has gotten even weirder. One person even said she should be PTS....she's "clearly unhappy" because she doesn't let anyone other than a select few people near her. Never mind that she bounces around the yard, plays with her dog friends, eats with gusto, and cuddles her favorite people.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Nov 30 12:25 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Off-leash dog - RANT (edit)

Star

Barked: Sun May 18, '08 10:44am PST 
Any off-leash dog approaching Star had better be careful! She is very fearful outside of her "home" territory and tends to let offenders know with a nip. I've never seen her BITE another dog, but those nips can be easily misinterpreted by someone who doesn't know a lot about dog communication.
[notify]
» There has since been 13.8 posts. Last posting by , May 21 7:39 am

Dog Health > Clomicalm for Separation Anxiety?

Star

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '08 10:14am PST 
Star takes Clomicalm. It does help a great deal with her anxiety, but Clomicalm is an anti-depressant, so it doesn't always work in cases of anxiety. I think it's certainly worth a shot, but you might also inquire about an anti-anxiety drug rather than an anti-depressant.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Oso, Jan 21 6:22 pm

Grooming > Petsmart groomers "charm" a new client into never comming back

Star

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '08 11:36am PST 
I didn't by any means mean to imply that there were no competent groomers at Petsmart. I have a good friend who works there as a groomer and she takes great care with each of her clients (and their humans!). If she weren't 45 minutes away, I'd take my animals to her in a heartbeat!
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Jan 16 5:35 pm

Grooming > Petsmart groomers "charm" a new client into never comming back
Star

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 10:02pm PST 
That's terrible! I watched a groomer grab Star by the neck and SLAM her onto the table, and I was horrified!

I hope you find a better groomer soon!
[notify]
» There has since been 37 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Jan 16 5:35 pm

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.