Postings by Jaydens Rowena, SD-c, PAT, CGC

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Any Handlers in Maine?
Jaydens- Rowena,- SD-c, PAT,- CGC

It's all about- the frisbee!!

Barked: Mon Sep 30, '13 10:06pm PST 
Did you get the kennel in Sebec? I live in Bangor, and though I am not a dog trainer per se, I am a service dog handler and with help, trained my own service dog. She is now 9. All dogs must be licensed. I am not sure what was confusing you on that, but I'm not sure what you were looking at either. Anyway, I am super familiar with dog laws, especially service dog laws in the state. I am a fan of positive training methods and used to live near Sebec. We still travel out there for fun every now and then. Any questions, please paw mail my dog. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by August, Oct 7 7:30 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Any Handlers in Maine?

Barked: Mon Sep 30, '13 10:05pm PST 
Did you get the kennel in Sebec? I live in Bangor, and though I am not a dog trainer per se, I am a service dog handler and with help, trained my own service dog. She is now 9. All dogs must be licensed. I am not sure what was confusing you on that, but I'm not sure what you were looking at either. Anyway, I am super familiar with dog laws, especially service dog laws in the state. I am a fan of positive training methods and used to live near Sebec. We still travel out there for fun every now and then. Any questions, please paw mail my dog. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by August, Oct 7 7:30 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Border Collies.

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 9:00pm PST 
I realize this is an ancient post/topic, but I want to assure people that border collies can make wonderful service dogs, including psychiatric service dogs. I have had my border collie, Rowena (Rosie for short) now for going on 9 years! How time flies! Seems like just yesterday I was visiting her at her breeder's house. I purchased her specifically to train to be a service dog, and she has never let me down. However, border collies are NOT for everyone and before anyone runs out to buy a bc puppy, I greatly recommend you do a lot of research on the breed, talk to breeders, talk to others who have them. Make for darn sure you can handle the breed. They want YOUR attention and no one else's. You can't just let a bc outside and think he will play and amuse himself. He WANTS and needs interaction with you. Also, they can be very soft dogs, so it is very important you know what you are doing when you get one, because one can be traumatised (psychologically) with the wrong voice tone, the wrong training technique. As for OCD, I have never seen my BC portray OCD type behaviors. I know BCs are prone to it if they do not have enough training and exercise, and I have seen it. Sometimes breeders breed for a more high strung dog. This is not a good thing. Talk with the breeder when getting a puppy to see what kind of dog he/she is breeding. Breeding for high energy flyball/ go go go? Is it a show breeder who is breeding for a more even keeled dog? Border collies are very special dogs. They are very intuitive, biddable to a fault, smart and clever and hard working. Mine is also very sweet, loves people (not so much other dogs since an attack a few years back) and cuddles with me at bedtime unless my husband happens to get in the way smile With early and careful socialization, a border collie can develop into a confident dog capable of service work. They are a joy to train, and a joy to be with. Listen to what Jin's human says. He knows too!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jaydens Rowena, SD-c, PAT, CGC, Jul 9 9:00 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > surprised about this article in dogfancy, January edition, page 12

Barked: Sat Jan 8, '11 2:26pm PST 
barkback@dogfancy.com
"Correspondence may be edited for length and clarity.
Please include your name, address, phone number and email address."
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jaydens Rowena, SD-c, PAT, CGC, Jan 8 2:26 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Program trained Psychiatric Service Dogs

Barked: Wed Oct 27, '10 9:13pm PST 
Tail Waggin Training Center in Levant, Maine (Central Maine area)-
They specialize in raising and training dogs for children with Autism. They will also train them for other needs, but I highly reccommend doing their owner-trainer program. It takes a real committment, but they will see you through. They are a "For Profit" training facility and a service dog from them is costly. If one wanted to get a trained dog from them they would need to do some fund raising.
Rosie and I were certified as a service dog team from these guys (a married couple with 2 children -one with Autism). Since we were their first owner-trained certified service dog team I felt very honored that they trusted their reputation with us.

The Tail Waggin Training Center in Levant, Maine, Rob & Lynne Boulier. I can't remember their alphabetic titles are. www.tailwaggin.net dog
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Dingo, Jun 29 8:01 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Program trained Psychiatric Service Dogs

Barked: Wed Nov 18, '09 4:46pm PST 
The Tail Waggin Training Center in Levant, Maine (Central Maine)trains service dogs and helps people train their own service dog as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 59 posts. Last posting by Dingo, Jun 29 8:01 am

Border Collie > How much does your Border Collie weigh?

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 4:47pm PST 
Rosie is about 20" tall and finally up to 35 pounds! It took us so long to get her food that she liked and her belly liked too, and finally nearing 5 years old, I feel she has evened off. She is a petite border collie, but lean and lanky too. And of course, sopping wet looks like a toothpick. This year her hair has filled in nice and thick, and that makes her look filled in as well. She has a sister that is only 17" and was almost 37 pounds about 2 1/2 years ago. Rosie was about 19 or 20" and about 30 -32 pounds at that time. I have noticed that many US farm bred border collies tend to be taller, but lean. They usually tend to have a thinner coat than show bred dogs for the most part. Rosie took after that half of her family. Her sister had a long fluffy, thick coat as did her mom. She has a similar coat and build as her father who is from mostly working dogs. She smiles like him and has that same lively look about her eyes like her dad as well. I like the variety in border collies, and farm or other, I love them all dearly. The Pet Smart trainer (or was it Petco) doesn't know dog breeds that well. You look all border collie!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Holly, Sep 10 2:50 am

Dalmatian > Miniature Dalmations?

Barked: Thu Apr 2, '09 6:24pm PST 
I met a "miniature dalmation" the other day at Petco in my town. It did not look like a dalmation at all. It had ticking, not spots, the head and snout were not shaped like a dalmation, (tapered down into a narrow snout, head was not blocky enough at all) the ears were folded back, the fur was denser, and the body was long, but the height was all wrong. It looked more like a terrier mix, like maybe a Jack Russell/and some sort of pit bull mix. The owner prided the fact that she got this dog from the only breeder of this breed in the whole state. It looked like a full breed mutt.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Mischa, Jan 7 11:35 am

Sports & Agility > The Home Made Agility Course: Your Experience?

Barked: Wed Nov 5, '08 3:44pm PST 
I have a book that shows using toilet plungers for weave poles. I thought that was a clever and affordable idea.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Stormy, Nov 8 9:23 pm

Puppy Place > Help! What is she mixed with?!

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 9:58pm PST 
...also remember that there are many breeds that have a white collar, white stripe down the nose, white belly and paws and possible white tip on the tail. Aussies are one, but so are St. Bernards. Many hounds, pitties, Corgies...
Her ears are floppy and more rounded than my BC and a few other pups I have met. They don't always hold their ears straight down (not many I have met), but sometimes up and flopped over on their heads or folded slightly. When they grow up, they can stand straight up (erect) or fold and stick out or back on their heads. Refer to Rowena's photos for examples. Hers are not erect standing.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Sophie CGC CSD, Oct 22 10:28 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.