Postings by Lily CGC 2001-2014

GO!

(Page 1 of 61: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Puppy Place > hey lady! what are you teaching your puppy?
Lily CGC- 2001-2014

Enjoying- Retirement

Barked: Wed Mar 10, '10 3:16pm PST 
I have used a shock collar for recall but only after the dog knew the command and chose to ignore it (look at me then run off or total ignoring). The call comes first, they ignore, a beep comes next, then if still ignoring a shock comes last and usually gets the desired result. A dog that it used to the collar will respond at the sound of the beep. I want to get a 2 dog shock collar unit that has sound and vibration also. Then instead of shock the vibration can be used instead if effective. However I would never use one on a puppy that young.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 10 5:28 pm

Dog Health > Febreeze? Angel got hurt :(
Lily CGC- 2001-2014

Enjoying- Retirement

Barked: Thu Feb 25, '10 3:09am PST 
This is a good example of why aerosols should not be stored in cabinets or containers near floor level. Always store them in high cabinets or shelves. It was probably the propellant that caused the burns. This is also a good example of why dogs shouldn't have run of the house when the owners are gone. Unless you know your dog will sit at home all day and sleep like Lily, then it is best to shut them in a crate or a room without anything dangerous like a laundry room (detergent high up out of reach) with a bowl of water and toys to chew. Crates are the best way to make sure your pup stays out of trouble. We've been crating Lily lately when we go out cause Curly taught her how to lift the cover to the trash can. I'm not sure how much I'd trust the others wouldn't get into some sort of trouble and we come home to a mess. Getting into things and making a mess is too much fun!!! Also if you exercise you pups plenty before you go out, they are less likely to get into trouble when you are gone and more apt to sleep. Please consider crating while your gone though. You are lucky it was just a cut ear and chemical burns. Did the can burst? If it didn't it could have been so much worse, if it did, you are lucky it was only a cut ear.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Chloe, Mar 3 8:27 am

Dog Health > Urgent: How to Get a Dog To Lose Weight "Healthily" and Quickly

Lily CGC- 2001-2014

Enjoying- Retirement

Barked: Wed Sep 30, '09 1:48am PST 
We tried everything for 2 years to get Lily to lose weight as she was 10lbs overweight. We tried grain-free food which caused her to gain and raw which she ended up getting sick on. Finally we found Royal Canin Cocker Spaniel food. She started losing weight slowly but immediately on it. Then she had a bit of a relapse due to cookies and injury causing inactivity. Now she is back on track losing. She just lost another lb in 3 weeks. She is walked daily, treats have been mostly cut out with the occasional low fat one. Overall she has lost 7lbs over the past 6 months. Her coat looks very healthy unlike when I was feeding her holistic weight maintanence food. She still acts hungry but that is normal for her even when she was being overfed she was always looking for more. The joys of having a spaniel. Her target weight is 45lbs, she is at 48lbs and starting acting far more playful than she has in years. Lily is now 8 yrs old and not ready to act like an old dog quite yet.

I forgot to mention Lily gets 1 cup am and 1 cup pm of the royal canin, when she is to the target weight we will gradually increase her intake until her weight stabilizes. She will probably stay on this food for the rest of her life.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Mogwai, Oct 7 11:12 am

Behavior & Training > Appalling Training suggestion: (rant, sorry)

Lily CGC- 2001-2014

Enjoying- Retirement

Barked: Sat Oct 18, '08 1:21pm PST 
Here is a supportive yahoo group on aggression. They might have some suggestions on why the clicker training didn't work. Some of them use stuff like making tubes of peanut butter and cheese whiz. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Click_To_Calm_List/

Of all the methods I've tried, clicker is far more effective than any other method. I've done choke collar corrections and they didn't help and I would never use a pinch on an aggressive dog. Clicker has worked wonders for Lily.

another group i'm a member of is http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/k9aggression-support/ they are pretty good at helping too.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Hershey Bear, Oct 19 12:21 pm

Dog Health > Recurrent bladder infections

Lily CGC- 2001-2014

Enjoying- Retirement

Barked: Mon Sep 29, '08 9:01pm PST 
Has cushing's disease been ruled out? I here that can be a symptom.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sydney (2000-2012), Sep 30 6:04 pm

Dog Health > Advantix :(
Lily CGC- 2001-2014

Enjoying- Retirement

Barked: Thu May 29, '08 12:30pm PST 
When I first got Lily, I used frontline plus. She wouldn't get ticks on her body but she would end up getting them on her face. They were live ticks on her. I then switched to advantix and didn't have any problems. One year was especially bad and she did get a few. The vet said I could put a preventic collar on her in addition to the advantix. I have noticed the first month it is applied that it isn't as effective. But after that it gets more effective.

I am currently using some biospot on some of my dogs since I'm short on money and cannot afford the meds. I have been told that biospot is effective like advantix but might not last as long. The permethrin is in both and they are the same percentage. the other ingredients are different. biospot has one that is in frontline at a lower percentage. I have not found many reports of bad reactions. The only one I could find was the one about the dalmation but it doesn't really hold any weight since dalmations or prone to epilepsy and other medical conditions. Also just because one dog had a reaction doesn't mean they all will. Look at this list there are people on here that report an allergy to frontline and others to advantix. Each dog is individual.

BTW advantage does not contain ivemectin. Heartgard does and possibly advantage multi. But regular advantage does not. It also does not cover for ticks. Cody and Toby were positive for lyme because their previous owners switched from frontline to advantage.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lily CGC 2001-2014, May 29 12:30 pm

Dog Health > Dog Vaccinations Necessary?

Lily CGC- 2001-2014

Enjoying- Retirement

Barked: Sat May 3, '08 10:18am PST 
I vaccinate every 3 years for rabies and distemper combo vac. I vaccinate for bordetella every 6mo-1yr because my dogs are at high risk for exposure. I do vaccinate for lyme as I recently rescued 2 dogs that turned up lyme positive. Since I'm in lyme disease central I figured I'd better be on the safer side and use tick preventatives in addition. Another recent vaccine I tried was giardia as one of the dog is going to a transplant patient so we are not taking chances on the dog getting sick. Another is lepto. The dogs swim alot so are at risk for it. The dogs are on a wellness plan through banfield which covers all their shots. My dog seems to be ok with the vets and staff there so we are happy with the care we receive there. The plan was well worth it.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Maggie, May 3 3:39 pm

Dog Health > POOP Eaters - BEWARE!!!

Lily CGC- 2001-2014

Enjoying- Retirement

Barked: Sat May 3, '08 10:09am PST 
Lily and Cody have been vaccinated against giardia. I know it is no guarentee but Cody is going to be partnered with a transplant patient, so every precaution must be made to prevent zoonotic diseases. It was also included in their care plans so didn't cost anything extra. Since it didn't cost extra and we have a beaver problem in the area, I figured why not?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Zeus, May 4 4:50 pm

Dog Health > I need to lose 20 Pounds

Lily CGC- 2001-2014

Enjoying- Retirement

Barked: Mon Apr 28, '08 10:01pm PST 
We've been struggling with Lily's weight for about 2 years. I tried food after food and finally found one that is not only healthy but affordable. Vet diets are not very healthy and very expensive. The companies turn out a very big profit on expensive presciption food that cost very little to produce since they use very little meat in them if any at all. Hill's has chicken by-products and no actual chicken meat. You are paying for corn and the parts of chickens humans don't eat. Those items are cheap and it definately doesn't cost $80 to produce a bag of it. I can pay alot less for a kibble that is mostly meat.

Ok so now for what worked for Lily. Well this year we tried artemis weight management and canidae platinum canned. Her coat dried out and she was losing very slowly. She ended up gaining the weight back when she was injured and could exercise. So I decided to try something else. I decided on Avoderm Lite. She is almost through the 1st bag and has lost a little more than 2lbs. I'll find out if she has lost more on wed when she goes back in. She is also still getting canned only it is avoderm lite canned. Right now she is eating 1 cup kibble twice a day and 1/2 canned at night. So she gets to eat the same as she would if she were on regular food. She is pretty satisfied. She does still act hungry but that is normal for her. Her treats are also limitted too. Her coat is recovering too and she is getting shiny again.

Now since your dog is in pain it is obvious walking him will be extremely uncomfortable and even possibly harmful. The good thing is that there are places out there for such dogs to help rehabilitate them to a healthy weight while reducing stress on the joints. Look online for a place near you that offers aquatherapy for dogs. They are different from swimming. The pools are heated to theraputic temperatures, dog wear lifejackets, and they swim with supervision continuously during the session. The place I called said they have one of those pools that you can swim in place and the water flows to prevent you from going forward. This is for the dogs though not humans. They require a not from the vet and are great for all purposes like recovering after surgery and weight loss. They are also great for dogs with hip displasia. Please consider looking into this for Moose. It sounds like something he needs.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Moose, May 16 5:50 pm

Dog Health > dog tail docking
Lily CGC- 2001-2014

Enjoying- Retirement

Barked: Sun Apr 13, '08 2:50pm PST 
I'm a springer and am happy to have my waggily nub. In the fall it is a nightmare. I pick up every burr within a 5 mile radius. I hate when they have to be combed out of my ears, can you imagine what it would be like with a full tail? It would be hours of torture trying to comb all the burrs out. It is a constant thing around here in the fall. Daily burr removals are a daily thing during the fall. I'm no city dog.

BTW did you know that sheep are also docked when they are baby lambs? Sometimes the tails are left on some of the lambs that the farmer intends on sending to slaughter later on. It has been explained to me that they remove the tails for sanitary reasons.
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Mika MADC, MJDC, AG.N.J., A.G., Apr 16 1:29 pm

(Page 1 of 61: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.