GO!

(Page 1 of 144: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > Is there an Ottawa co-op?
Takiah

Barked: Thu Jul 24, '08 8:39am PST 
Definitely go on the CanadianRawsupply site on yahoo (link posted above) and do a search for `Ottawa` or check the files. I know I have read some Ottawa stuff on there in the past, but I can`t remember exactly what for!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 25 5:18 am

Raw Food Diet > Any recomended books
Takiah

Barked: Mon Jul 21, '08 8:22pm PST 
I just got the Carina Beth McDonald book `Raw Dog Food: Making it Easy for You and Your Dog` (I think that`s what its called! thinking). That is one of my favourites, and probably the one I would recommend to newcomers. She has a lot of good resources (like co-op group links and internet groups, which most books don`t have), and writes in a very easy to understand way. Some of the books get a little confusing (try Pitcairn!!lol) with all of the extras, explanation, supplements, etc. I also have Dr. Billinghurst`s `The BARF Diet` as that was the main book when I started feeding way back when. I actually didn`t find that as confusing as some people say, and it had some recipes and ideas although is maybe a touch outdated (although I must say, he certainly doesn`t advocate feeding all ground meat, no bone, or a ton of veggies as many people seem to think Barf does thinking). I actually find many of the books to be quite similar (I own many of them), despite what type of raw they discuss. It all depends on what style you choose to feed. Although people argue about their own methods I think dogs can easily thrive on any of the diets in the books posted. My favourite though is the Carina Beth McDonald...it is the only book I know of that has pictures in it too!!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 21 9:44 pm

Alaskan Malamute > Giant Alaskan Malamutes

Takiah

Barked: Thu Jul 17, '08 4:52pm PST 
275 is way to big for a malamute. Bigger size does not necessarily mean a dog will pull more, in fact a dog that large will have difficulties in working as it was meant to. A lot of these "giant" kennels have come up recently, many of them are not very reputable. There are some good giant mal kennels who screen all dogs, however you REALLY have to make sure your dog's kennel and parents are screened for hip problems, as well as you will need to keep them as lean as you can. So, don't overfeed your dog, don't overpull and you may have to ad in a joint supplement at a young age.

Price does not necessarily mean a lot when it comes to dogs (a petstore or puppymill dog will often cost $1000 which means nothing when it comes to quality). Many purebred mals sell within your range of $800-900 though.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 17 4:52 pm

Raw Food Diet > Curious now: how old are the feeders???

Takiah

Barked: Thu Jul 17, '08 7:32am PST 
28 party
[notify]
» There has since been 41 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 6:04 pm

Raw Food Diet > Wont eat liver, or any organs!

Takiah

Barked: Tue Jul 15, '08 11:51am PST 
It took Takiah about 5 years before she would readily accept organs (except for chicken gizzards and giblets, she loves those!!). I always had to cut them into little pieces, and mix them with a bunch of stuff in the bowl like a cracked egg and canned sardines or cottage cheese. Now, I make a ground mix that I freeze. It is a nasty process, but then you have frozen organ mix cubes made up for a while. I mix in ground beef as well as a few other things, and feed it in a little frozen square.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 15 12:16 pm

Raw Food Diet > WOOT
Takiah

Barked: Mon Jul 14, '08 7:31pm PST 
Great news!! party I know you were having a lot of issues. Hmmm...I'll have to check my chicken to see if it has that. I guess you can't even trust "plain looking" meat at the grocery store anymore!!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 16 5:48 pm

Raw Food Diet > I've been feeding raw for ....

Takiah

Barked: Mon Jul 14, '08 10:59am PST 
I have fed raw for around 7 or 8 years, I forget the exact time I started (it was a sort of "gradual" thing).

Sushi, I appreciate your posts, but I also found it extremely amazing that a 6 year old (you have been feeding for 3 years) could research, get money, buy meat and feed their dog all by themselves with no help from parents.....thinking I am a primary teacher, and find this level of indepedence pretty unusual. Just out of curiousity, but how could you afford this at 6 and now?
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Jul 26 3:02 pm

Raw Food Diet > How many of you all...

Takiah

Barked: Thu Jul 10, '08 5:22pm PST 
I have grown up eating pretty healthy (my dad was/is a marathon runner!), which I think drew me to researching healthy kibbles first, then cooked and raw diets for dogs. I think feeding raw has kind of questioned me to ask "what would an ideal or "natural" diet be for a human? Not that I can replicate that exactly in reality, but I try to eat loads of fresh veggies, berries, fruits, and I buy everything (pasta, rice, etc) whole grain after reading about how bad refined white grains are, and I try to avoid sugars as it seems to be in everything nowadays! Basically I figure the closest something is to coming right from the earth the healthiest it is. I eat a little bit of meat, but not overly much, and try to buy or grow as much local and organic stuff as I can. I am more concerned with "fake" foods or processed ones over a bit of "real" fat like adding some butter to something for example. At the same time I am a realist though, and of course enjoy the odd McDonalds and junk food.

Is anyone here familiar with Michael Pollan? He wrote "The Botany of Desire" and the "Omnivore's Dilema". I just read his new book "In Defence of Food" which I thought was great, and basically defends the traditional ways of eating "real" foods and how we have gotten away from it. He has a 7 word motto for eating which is "Eat Food, Not Too Much, Mostly Plants." A great read, and you will also discover it relates to raw feeding for dogs very closely!!
way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 10 5:30 pm

Raw Food Diet > Getting nervous about parasites.

Takiah

Barked: Mon Jul 7, '08 10:50am PST 
At certain times of the year I feed a lot of wild venison and sometimes elk, and have never had problems (I freeze it). I have never done a de-worming in my life with Takiah, and our vet has never recommended doing it. She is on Interceptor for heartworm, but that is just from June-Aug. otherwise she doesn't take anything.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Oct 6 5:56 am

Raw Food Diet > Changing my two huskies onto raw
Takiah

Barked: Mon Jul 7, '08 10:47am PST 
Ah yes, those picky huskies!! lol laugh out loud In terms of what to feed, you can pretty much feed a regular raw diet, but huskies of course do well with some fish in their diet, and often do better on lamb or alternative red meats to beef. Beef may be tolerated raw though even if it isn't tolerated cooked. I do know that is usually the most common meat causing problems with northern breeds.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by , Jul 11 12:20 pm

(Page 1 of 144: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.