Postings by Katee

GO!

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

Dogs & Travel > Got my Roadie! But I have a question..
Katee

Can we go now?

Barked: Wed Jun 21, '06 12:49pm PST 
Ours are nice and snug, too.

To get it off, mom just unclips the tummy clip, tells me to put my head down, and (with one hand on my head to make sure it stays down) she holds the Roadie at the base of the red loops, where the two sections come together, and pulls it forward and down over my head. Then it falls to the ground and I can just step out of it. Very quick and pretty easy for us.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Shana, Jun 21 10:11 pm

Behavior & Training > I need help quick!
Katee

Can we go now?

Barked: Wed Feb 1, '06 5:36pm PST 
You are still so young! It can take a while to get the hang of pottying in the right place.

Can the door to the bedroom be kept closed, or a baby gate put up, so that you can't get in there? And I've heard lots of praise and a treat every time there is potty in the right spot can help a confused pup figure it out.

Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bodha Lei (Rainbow Bridge), Feb 1 6:44 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Too many to foster?

Katee

Can we go now?

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '06 9:50pm PST 
Thanks everyone for your advice. puppy

Oobi, I think you're right - it would be better for us to be more cautious than less! We have thought about this a lot, discussed the possibility with a Mal Rescue group (who, incedently, think we would be a good foster home), and done a _lot_ of homework on fostering and on Malamutes. Our yard is big and fenced, but we do live in suburbia. And the city does limit to three dogs; however this is considered a gray area since we don't actually own the dog. We are on good terms with our neighbors, many of whom also have dogs, and I do not allow my dogs to bark for any length of time in the yard - no fence fighting/barking. I usually distract my main barker, Max with a rousing game of soccer/fetch, and when all else fails I either bring them in or get out the hose, depending on the weather. And we definately have foster limits like yours, Taco!

Still, I want to be fairly sure we're not getting in over our heads before we pursue this any farther. So...another question for those of you who foster: How damaging would it be to be fostered by us for only a short time and then be sent somewhere else if this doesn't work?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Taco, Feb 1 7:26 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Too many to foster?

Katee

Can we go now?

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '06 12:55pm PST 
Hi! We're looking for advice. puppy

Mom and dad are thinking of fostering a dog. The thing is, we already have three big (60-70 lbs) dogs and seven cats (all rescues!). Mom is home all day nearly every day, we have a big yard, and we go running at least a couple of times a week. We would like to foster a Malamute (and yes, we know there aren't too many out there who like other dogs and don't hunt cats).

Do you all think this is a crazy idea? To have eleven animals in the house?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Taco, Feb 1 7:26 am

Dog Health > Lick Granuloma

Katee

Can we go now?

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '06 12:31pm PST 
Where is the lick granuloma? Sometimes you can get it to heal by covering it loosely - won't always stop the licking, but it can stop the toungue from abrading the skin so much. If you cover it tightly (bandage), somtimes they will just pick another spot. The only other idea I can offer is more exercise, but I know that doesn't always work, either.

Good luck!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Katee, Jan 28 12:31 pm

Sports & Agility > Backpacking!
Katee

Can we go now?

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '06 4:06pm PST 
We now have a backpack for everyone! Max will wear my old Kelty Chuckwagon, because it's small (and he has bad joints) and Razel and I are getting new Ruffwear Aproach II packs! Yeah! Now we just have to convince dad to go camping with us!!! (mom already wants to!)

Hi Morgan!
Mom makes our booties, although I only ever wear them when there's lots of stickers and burs around. Razel sometimes wears his when we go running on pavement, but his feet seem to be toughening up like mine, so he will only wear them when there's lots of burs, too. Max has to wear his whenever he runs, or he'll come up lame...we don't know why(no visible damage to anything, and no sores on his paws), and he only has to wear them on his front feet.

Anyway, mom started by making me a pair like the Ruffwear 3D Barkin' Boots, with Cordura uppers and Toughtek soles. The ones she could buy wouldn't fit me - my paws are narrow and long. She usually gets the materials from Dogbooties.com. Their prices are pretty good, and it's the only place she's found to get the stretchy Velcro. I like that a _lot_ better than regular Velcro if we're going on a really long hike or run.

When Max wore out his first pair, mom redesigned the booties to have two layers of the rubber cemented together, and folded and sewn to have a "toe bumper" that goes over the top of the toes and nails to help prevent them from wearing through. It seems to be working so far.

Razel had a few problems with the Cordura being too rough on his pads. Toughfoot helped a bit with that, especially right at the time the rub was discovered, but the zinc supplement he's been taking has helped the most. (but mom has to trim his nails a little more often now) Mom did make him a pair of booties with a fleece lining (remember to add extra room for the fleece!) and that helped a little bit. His feet only seemed to rub when he was running more than two miles with booties on - none of us have had problems when we're just walking or hiking.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Biner CGC, Mar 9 10:47 pm

Dog Health > Ticks, Frontline, and long-haired dogs

Katee

Can we go now?

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '06 4:46pm PST 
We've found a lot of ticks on Katee, too (more than a dozen this year) - but none that had attatched. All of them seemed to be trying to get off, as we found them on top of her fur, not down in it, up to a couple hours after exposure (like when we were back in the car on the way home...ew.) I have heard that ticks are especially attracted to white animals, but maybe it's just that we can see them easier? Not sure, but we haven't found any ticks at all on Max or Razel this year.

We're in the south, too, and apply monthly. We part the fur and apply the Frontline in a short line. A little gets on the fur and dries, but that doesn't seem to lessen the effectiveness. We do try to discourage them from blotting it off on our pillows, however.........(which Razel did once....)
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 3 3:36 am

Sports & Agility > Backpacking!

Katee

Can we go now?

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '05 3:59pm PST 
I've used a Kelty Chuck Wagon dog pack...you can see it in my pic. smile Mostly I just carry water for myself when we're hiking, but mom and dad are starting to think of taking us backpacking...if they can fit us all in a tent!
[notify]
» There has since been 42 posts. Last posting by Biner CGC, Mar 9 10:47 pm

Who's Feeling Silly? > Who LOVES the cold and snow?

Katee

Can we go now?

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '05 3:38pm PST 
We only got a little sleet (we live in central Texas) but I rolled and slid on it! It was great and I wanted to stay out all day!!! I love this cold weather stuff!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 35 posts. Last posting by Bailey Bumps, Dec 24 11:44 am

Sports & Agility > MUSHING
Katee

Can we go now?

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '05 1:23pm PST 
We're in Texas too, and while we have some ice today, it won't last and it's no good for sledding, just sliding!

Anyway, my brother Razel and I are learning to be scooter dogs, which is kinda sorta like dryland mushing. Instead of a sled, we pull a scooter. It's great fun for us, and the neighbors, too, I think!

Oh, and we ordered our harnesses from Black Ice, too, and got really good service!
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Dreamy, Dec 10 2:34 am

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.