Postings by SHADOW, Certified Service Dog

GO!

(Page 1 of 81: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Retirement Ceremony
SHADOW,- Certified- Service Dog

BORN TO SERVE

Barked: Mon Jun 9, '14 3:43pm PST 
On June 2, 2014 we had a Retirement Ceremony and a graduation of the newer Service Dog, Ailbe. A gift for us was a session from a local photographer to capture his last week of life. Shadow has brain cancer and isn't doing well. He'll cross over on June 14.

Please look up Dolphin Dance Photography Blog and you can see the photos and short story.

Saying goodbye isn't easy..

Ellen and Shadow Walker
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Aug 3 4:07 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Assistance Dog travel into Italy

BORN TO SERVE

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 8:14am PST 
http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/italy.cfm Also, I think your dog has to be from an ADI program. Italy falls under the European rules for pet travel and service dogs must come an ADI program.. You must have the pet travel passport .. Your dog will be quarantined for 4 days if you did everything right, but if you don't it can turn into 4 months.

Shadow Walker and Ailbe
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Rest in Paradise Voltaire. 1/1, Sep 10 2:16 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Flying Southwest

BORN TO SERVE

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 8:05am PST 
SW gave Shadow a pair of wings for his flight many years ago. All of the staff were wonderful. SW allows you to pack one extra bag below and it has to be marked SERVICE DOG EQUIPMENT and that bag is FREE. They classify it as medical equipment. They also let you have an extra bag for carry on and again it has to be marked SERVICE DOG EQUIPMENT. The last time I flew we had a layover in Chicago (the smaller airport). They had a wheelchair waiting for us for we could transfer to the next gate. When we got to the gate they were going I will, I will ... oh, can we take your dog outside for a potty break. My dog is trained to go on any surface. I handed them a poop bag just in case. So, out to the tarmac they went with my Shadow. It was only 10 degrees outside --- burrrrrrr They came back in and they said he only did a pee... Poor Shadow was shaking because it was so cold outside.

I've flown other airlines and they were horrible .. I will always try to fly SW..

Shadow Walker and Ailbe
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Lucy Ribeiro, Sep 24 2:03 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Your sevice dog can be off leash!

BORN TO SERVE

Barked: Thu Jul 11, '13 9:38am PST 
Shadow is off leash when I'm grocery shopping... He's under complete control with my movements. It helps that he just walks behind the cart for I can stop and get items off the shelf w/out dropping his leash all the time. He's been doing it now for 8 1/2 yrs and he stays put. Ailbe isn't ready for that kind of work yet and hopefully one day he can work behind the cart and be off leash...

Shadow Walker and Ailbe
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Jul 24 5:28 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > SDiTs and federal court houses for SSI hearings

BORN TO SERVE

Barked: Thu Jul 11, '13 9:34am PST 
I took Shadow to a Federal Courthouse in Phx, AZ when he was a young pup in training. I had to follow AZ Service Dog In Tng Laws and so it was OK to take him there. The ADA for trained service dogs doesn't even apply in Federal Bldgs ... So, he did extremely well and we had another 6 trips for my case and in each one he did better and better on his behavior..

So, take him .. Its great practice to train them to go thru the metal detectors or getting a pat down...

Shadow Walker
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by SHADOW, Certified Service Dog, Jul 11 9:34 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Let people pet your service dog

BORN TO SERVE

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 5:27am PST 
I owner trained Shadow and not I'm doing the same with Ailbe (with professional help for both). In the beginning Shadow and now Ailbe were or are being trained for "NO PETTING". I do this for the 1s year and then when they're at the end of training or at the point where they are completely focused on me then I allow "petting"on command -- "Say Hi" Otherwise they completely ignore people around them until I give them the command. Ailbe is a social butterfly and loves people and at the moment he's not allowed to be petted. Shadow just ignore everyone and then loves the petting on my terms only.

As for leash -- They must be on a leash at all times unless your disability prevents it. Shadow goes off leash behind the cart when I'm shopping. I can't hold onto his harness handle and the shopping cart at the same time. Since Shadow is a mobility/balance dog and I need the support to walk and I can't hold onto two different things at the same time, then having him off leash is within the laws of the ADA. He's completely under voice command when I'm in the store. When I need to walk away from the cart then he's with me for I can use the harness. Ailbe is doing great in his training with cart duty, but isn't ready for not using a leash. When I lived in AZ our city had a rule that working dogs under voice command could be off leash to do their business or for training purposes. Since I have difficulty walking then Shadow was allowed off leash at my apt complex. When I was at my parents home he was allowed to roam the yard and never left it. Since moving here he was doing the same by staying in our unfenced yard. Well, he decided that roaming was going to be a new thing for his 9th year of life. He's now confined to the 10 ft lead in the front yard. My community is an HOA and they want the fencing in the back only, but due to the way the yard is and my disability its not an option. So, under the FHA they will attempt to approve of a proper fence for the front yard. Since I don't have the funds for a couple years I got permission to have the stake and 10 ft lead in the front yard. At the moment the roads around here can be slick plus its uneven and hilly which prevents me going on walks with both dogs. So the only way they can get any exercise is the 10 ft lead.

So, petting allowed after 1 year of intensive training of being totally focused then allowing petting with permission and on command. Leash laws apply for the ADA unless your disability warrants that you can't use it. Then you have city, state and county regulations that require dogs to be on leash. So, guest -- KEEP YOUR DOG ON LEASH!!!

Shadow and Ailbe
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 30 12:04 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Need help finding a SA organization for a friend in HAWAII

BORN TO SERVE

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 8:50am PST 
Found these on the ADI website .. No harm in checking them out

hawaii_can@hawaii.rr.com Hawaii Canine Assistance Network

Hawaii Canines for Independence - www.hawaiicanines.com/

Hawaii Fi-Do Service Dogs - hifido@hawaii.rr.com

Ailbe and Shadow Walker
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by SHADOW, Certified Service Dog, Aug 6 8:50 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > My church rejected me because of my SD

BORN TO SERVE

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '12 12:35am PST 
I know in the Catholic Church you have the Priest who must LISTEN to his leader -- The Bishop who overseas his Parish. In most Orthodox Religions -- Greek -- They have someone above their Priest who overseas their Parish.

I would call them and ask them if there is a Service Dog Policy for a Parishioner to attend Mass.

When I traveled to Virgina I ran into a Priest who wasn't to keen on a dog being in the Church. Some of the Parishioners said to him that would you kick out the blind with a cane, someone in a wheelchair, etc.. The Pries said "no" .. Well, that wonderful dog is just like a white cane, wheelchair, walker, etc..

I use to always sit in the rear of my old Church.. But when I moved to my newer one 5 1/2 years ago I sat in the front area that's usually reserved for wheelchairs, walkers, etc.. It gave Shadow loads of floor space where no one would trip over him getting into the pew.

I would just bring in the ADA Business Brief and said even thou a Church is Private, more Ministers, Priests, etc.. are always welcoming anyone in their flock even they are normal or disabled..

Ailbe and Shadow Walker
[notify]
» There has since been 36 posts. Last posting by Max-SD, Oct 4 11:19 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > My service dog is currently training. have a few ?'s

BORN TO SERVE

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '12 1:20am PST 
Train the dog to search the house for intruders -- To me this would be a HUGE red flag to teach a service dog to maybe learn to bark, growl, etc at someone in the house that shouldn't be there...

WELL -- What happens if one day you're out of it and have a complete meltdown where you don't have control of your dog. 911 is called because its now in crisis mode.. Paramedics and Fire Dept arrive -- ONLY PROBLEM -- Your dog won't let them in the house because you trained them to not accept intruders.. So, the dog lunges at the the medical team and one of them gets the teeth and the jaw is locked -- Cops arrive due to the situation and they could and I mean could shot the dog to save the medical rescue..

A Service Dog is taught to accept strangers in their home just in case something seriously happens... I took my other service dog to the firehouse to train him around the trucks and staff in case they came to my house. I also trained him around cops for he can accept them...

Well.... In April my dad had Shadow down to his house for a few days. He wasn't feeling well and thought Shadow would cheer him up. It gave me a chance to work with Ailbe on his obedience training... Apparently my dad had to call for help in the middle of the night (he almost bled out).. Fire Dept, Ambulance, etc had to come too the home. No one else was in the home.. Shadow greeted them with open arms .. Obeyed their command to go lay down.. You never know if it can happen and 7 1/2 yrs after his training started he knew what his job was when a medical crisis happened...

You never know if you'll be alone if you're in a medical crisis .. and what bad habits you teach can "bite" you in the tush in the future..

Ailbe and Shadow
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, Aug 2 4:21 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Reasonable Accomodations Letter

BORN TO SERVE

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 5:16pm PST 
I drafted one up for the Dept of Veterans Affairs and I know several Vets in our area use the same letter format.. The letter has to be on your doctors formal letter head. I never put the training part down since the VA approved of my service dog and the training I did w/ him..

To Whom It May Concern:

This is to certify that NAME is a VA client and has a service connected disability which is rated permanent and totally disabling. She also requires the guidance of a mobility/balance service dog. NAME is utilizing the services of an assistant service dog and it is acceptable that this animal accompanies her everywhere, as prescribed by her medical doctors at the VAMC Phoenix. Her condition is rated permanent and totally disabling and so she will be using this animal for life.

Sincerely yours,

A. Miro
Veterans Service Center Manager Email us at: https;//iris.va.gov

I just go in every 18 months and have a new one done... I travel with the letter also and was only asked once for proof of my dog being a service animal.

Shadow Walker and Ailbe
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by SHADOW, Certified Service Dog, Jun 27 5:16 pm

(Page 1 of 81: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.