Postings by Sophie

GO!

Akita > growled while playing

Sophie

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 3:23pm PST 
Thank you for all your help! smile what had worried me the most was that she was only doing it with him. Your sibling explanation makes perfect sense. Perhaps my husband was right after all... isn't that something! Lol. I knew they were vocal but I didn't know that growling or something in similar sound could be part of the vocalization. Even at such a young age, she is already quite the guardian. Once, she was in a room with my boys and when I came down the hall, she barked until she realized it was me. She seems to really have taken to our 2 year old. When I put him down for sleep, she'll come in and lay behind the rocking chair as I rock him or she'll lay in front of his crib. My 6 year old is a little jealous. For a puppy, she is great. She does have little quirks that sometimes frustrate me (like she won't use the bathroom where its sunny and will go on the porch to stay out of the sun) but I'm learning to live with them My only other question is how would you keep them from going in a planter? Now that she's getting bigger, she can jump into the raised planter and I wasn't too thrilled to find her pooping in it yesterday evening.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Sep 9 5:45 pm

Sophie

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 12:23pm PST 
Thank you for all your help! smile what had worried me the most was that she was only doing it with him. Your sibling explanation makes perfect sense. Perhaps my husband was right after all... isn't that something! Lol. I knew they were vocal but I didn't know that growling or something in similar sound could be part of the vocalization. Even at such a young age, she is already quite the guardian. Once, she was in a room with my boys and when I came down the hall, she barked until she realized it was me. She seems to really have taken to our 2 year old. When I put him down for sleep, she'll come in and lay behind the rocking chair as I rock him or she'll lay in front of his crib. My 6 year old is a little jealous. For a puppy, she is great. She does have little quirks that sometimes frustrate me (like she won't use the bathroom where its sunny and will go on the porch to stay out of the sun) but I'm learning to live with them My only other question is how would you keep them from going in a planter? Now that she's getting bigger, she can jump into the raised planter and I wasn't too thrilled to find her pooping in it yesterday evening.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Sep 9 5:45 pm

Sophie

Barked: Sat Sep 7, '13 6:58pm PST 
Sophie is almost 4 months old. She loves to bring her toys to us so we can play with her. While playing fetch with her tonight, my 2 year old son tried to grab her rope toy from her. Every time he tried to grab it from her, she would growl at him but she wouldn't if my husband or myself grabbed it from her. My husband seemed to think she was playing with him. I beg to differ. This is our first Akita and our first dog as a family so I am totally unsure as to whether this is normal. This is the first time she's ever growled. If this is not normal, how do we correct it?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sophie, Sep 7 6:58 pm

Sophie

Barked: Sat Sep 7, '13 5:42pm PST 
Sophie is almost 4 months old. She loves to bring her toys to us so we can play with her. While playing fetch with her tonight, my 2 year old son tried to grab her rope toy from her. Every time he tried to grab it from her, she would growl at him but she wouldn't if my husband or myself grabbed it from her. My husband seemed to think she was playing with him. I beg to differ. This is our first Akita and our first dog as a family so I am totally unsure as to whether this is normal. This is the first time she's ever growled. If this is not normal, how do we correct it?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sophie, Sep 7 5:42 pm

Sophie

Barked: Sat Sep 7, '13 8:10am PST 
I did extensive research before deciding on an Akita. My in-laws have had two of them but they are the type that justs puts the dog in the backyard and gives them no training. With that being said, they were a bit territorial and aggressive but still really good with our kids. My husband has always wanted one but based on my experience with their dogs, I was hesitant. I looked into numerous breeds before coming back to the akita and realized that with this breed, his parents were doing it all wrong. The Akita seemed to be the best fit for our family after reading about how they are with proper training and care. We didn't get Sophie from a breeder. She was part of an accidental litter. That was ok with us as we were not looking for "show quality." She has been an extremely great dog so far. A little bratty at times, but that's to be expected. And she tolerates a lot from our 2 year old. That's why I thought it odd that she would growl at him. It didn't sound too much like a threatening growl. It was almost part growl part bark. She would turn and walk away from him though.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Sep 9 5:45 pm

Sophie

Barked: Fri Sep 6, '13 9:58pm PST 
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Sep 9 5:45 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.