Postings by Stout

GO!

Raw Food Diet > Tummy Issues with Raw Diet

Stout

Barked: Thu Oct 3, '13 7:50am PST 
Hi Guys-

Need some help here. We recently (4 months ago) switched Stout to a raw diet. At first we were buying pre-ground chicken backs with organ meat from a local supplier which he seemed to be doing fine on. No vomitting, some diarrhea, but we chalked that up to the initial switch of food from kibble to raw. This supplier had some issues with inventory, so we started buying chicken necks from a wholesaler here and grinding them down ourselves. I add in about 10% organ meat to make sure Stout gets some of that. He was ok with this for a few weeks, but lately he has started to exhibit what we believe to be acid reflux symptoms. He does this thing where he'll kind of burp and then lick his chops for a few minutes like he just took a drink of water. He occasionally actually vomits from this, but its not a retching, heaving vomit like he sometimes does. It's more of a burp/vomit. We started to give him Pepcid that we had from an Rx prior when he was working through some sour stomach issues (mostly caused by too much time between meals).

Stout is 15 months old, and about 40lbs. He's a touch underweight, but we're feeding him more to help him gain another few lbs. My question is, what could be causing these acid reflux (if that is in fact what he's experiencing) issues? It's very frustrating that we can't nail down the cause. The pepcid seems to help, although it doesn't completely cure his burp/licking his lips thing. Should we seek alternative raw meat? Is he getting too much bone?

Any help would be greatly appreciated- we need to get our baby back on track!

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Nov 10 7:19 pm

Raw Food Diet > Raw Diet Food Frequency
Stout

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 7:30am PST 
Thanks everyone for the continued responses. I'll supplement Stout's diet with some egg shells until I get a grinder. Question: I've seen a lot of good feedback regarding the Same Baere 500 grinder, yet I cannot find anywhere online that sells it. I've done a few google searches all of which result in nothing. Does anyone have a lead on places that sell these? Or perhaps is there a substitute grinder that also does the trick?

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Barbaro, Jun 7 7:43 pm

Stout

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 3:41pm PST 
Thanks for the responses everyone.

To be more specific, I am feeding Stout a mixture of chicken breast/thighs/drumsticks - no bones. I hold onto the drumsticks and let him gnaw at them, and with the thighs I basically butcher them and remove the bone. Stout is still learning to chew, and I dont have a meat grinder so I don't really want to introduce whole bones at this point. I'm trying to minimize the amount of change in his diet, isolating variables such that I can troubleshoot more easily.

His stools are still very soft and scant, and he's not really drinking almost any water - but I've read that the water content of raw food is much greater than kibble, so this isnt unusual.

It is a bit overwhelming a few days in to have so much change in eating behavior in such a short time. I think we'll stick to a few (2 or 3) small feedings to avoid any sour stomach and let him adjust to raw.

On a side note, Stout just got his first cherry eye today frown I was able to massage it back into place, but it gave me a good scare. I thought he might be having a reaction to the food!

What a week.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Barbaro, Jun 7 7:43 pm

Stout

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 8:14am PST 
Hi Everyone-

First time posting here- I joined because I recently switched Stout (english bulldog, 10 months old) to a raw diet (chicken) from his previous kibble diet. He exhibited a few different symptoms which pointed to a food allergy including increased facial acne (despite regularly cleaning), hair loss/bald spots, increased ear wax production and increased tear production, along with a general disinterest in his kibble (he was voraciously hungry a few months ago).

Anyway- we experienced some stomach acid issues previously with Stout and were told to keep some food in his belly in order to avoid vomiting. Since switching to raw food, he has experienced diarrhea (to be expected, I've read). In order to try and ease the impact on his stomach, I've been only feeding him once a day. As a result, his stomach acid issues have come up again and he's vomited yellow bile a few times in the past 2 days.

My question is- what are people seeing in terms of effective meal frequency for new raw diet dogs?

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Barbaro, Jun 7 7:43 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.