GO!

Dog Health > How to give a dog Benadryl

Mia

One word:- relentless

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 8:10pm PST 
That's a great idea! Thank you!

And yes, we made sure to call and ask and they advised us on mg and weight. It's good to mention though just in case ppl don't know! Thank you!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 4 6:53 am

Dog Health > How to give a dog Benadryl
Mia

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 3:09pm PST 
Peanut butter has always worked so well in the past because they lick it right off your finger and never even notice the pill!

Recently, my jack russell will throw up within 20 minutes of taking the benadryl/peanut butter combo.

What are other ways of hiding half of a pill in food? What other types of food can I safely hide half of a pill in?

(Liquid medicine is not an option for her)

Thanks for your help!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , May 4 6:53 am

Small Dogs > reverse sneezing

Mia

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 3:02pm PST 
Mr. Jake,

Thank you for your response! Any other suggestions on how to give Mia a half pill of benadryl? I hid it in a small swipe of peanut butter and she licks it right off and it goes down great. She threw it up both times. I'm trying to think of what other food I can hide it in for her to gobble up.

She is terrible with liquid medicines and never takes them well.

Thanks so much for your help!
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Aug 29 7:29 am

Mia

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 10:20am PST 
I am so glad to see a few responses. I am new to using a forum, but I was hoping I'd enjoy using it. Thank you for your responses so far. I've been on the phone with the vet, and they recommended the benadryl, agreeing that this is normal. I just don't know whether to keep calling back and saying, "Now she's throwing up the benadryl...she's still sneezing all night long..." I don't want to wear out my customer badge at the vet. But ultimately, I want to make sure my Mia girl is okay!
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by , Aug 29 7:29 am

Mia

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 8:45am PST 
Mia has been "reverse sneezing" for a while now. It was something that happened once in a while, randomly during the night (nothing major). If you've never heard of "reverse sneezing" you can youtube it, it's terrifying!

Now I'm just stuck on what to do. For over 24 hours now, she is practically gasping for air every time it happens. I called and talked to the vet, and they said to give her half a benadryl every 12 hours. Well, both times now, she has thrown up the benadryl. So I don't even think she's keeping it down! Within the last day or two, she has been miserable, and I'm just so worried about her.

Her symptoms: you can tell she's "congested" or has a stuffy nose. It sounds like it's both in her nose and throat, reverse sneezing episodes for about 30 seconds to a minute. The episodes happen almost every half hour. She's still eating and drinking, but throwing up any time we give her benadryl (with a swish of peanut butter).

My husband agrees to hold of on taking her to the vet, but how long do we wait? Has anyone else experienced "reverse sneezing" this frequently? Is this just the start to really bad allergies, and it will pass?

Thanks for listening!
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by , Aug 29 7:29 am

Jack Russell Terrier > "Reverse sneezing"
Mia

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 8:30am PST 
Mia has been "reverse sneezing" for a while now. It was something that happened once in a while, randomly during the night (nothing major). If you've never heard of "reverse sneezing" you can youtube it, it's terrifying!

Now I'm just stuck on what to do. For over 24 hours now, she is practically gasping for air every time it happens. I called and talked to the vet, and they said to give her half a benadryl every 12 hours. Well, both times now, she has thrown up the benadryl. So I don't even think she's keeping it down! Within the last day or two, she has been miserable, and I'm just so worried about her.

Her symptoms: you can tell she's "congested" or has a stuffy nose. It sounds like it's both in her nose and throat, reverse sneezing episodes for about 30 seconds to a minute. The episodes happen almost every half hour. She's still eating and drinking, but throwing up any time we give her benadryl (with a swish of peanut butter).

My husband agrees to hold of on taking her to the vet, but how long do we wait? Has anyone else experienced "reverse sneezing" this frequently? Is this just the start to really bad allergies, and it will pass?

Thanks for listening!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 25 8:30 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.