GO!

Australian Shepherd > Natural Bobtail?

Kaiser

Our Little- Emperor

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 7:06am PST 
Hi Dogsters,
While I know it's of no consequence unless we choose to breed him (which we won't), we are wondering if our Aussie has a natural bobtail. It's much longer than it should be if it's docked; most docked tails that I see on Aussies are very, very short, and his is quite long by comparison - a proper nub. Personally, I prefer tailed Aussies, and I love his cute little nub big grin But I'm not sure if it's natural or just docked poorly/strangely.
I can't find photos of natural bobtail Aussies anywhere, so I don't know what to look for. Does anyone have a bobtail that they could share a photo of, or a way for me to tell? Thanks in advance!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by River Dancer, Apr 15 6:07 pm

Behavior & Training > Stopping Whining
Kaiser

Our Little- Emperor

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 5:49am PST 
Sorry, to clarify, he eats three big meals a day. And basically, to get him to be calm about food, we've been taking his food and clicker, waiting for silence (even if it's only just a second), clicking that silence and giving him a small amount of food. This still usually takes a good chunk of time, because we slowly increase the time between each click, and if we push it too far and he hits his breaking point, he goes back to full-tilt crazy whining and we have to start over. laugh out loud
I wondered if it was possibly a breed trait... but I forgot to look it up. I don't mind play barking, growling, etc. (Tobi is very vocal when he plays) but I hope the whining ceases.
I'll try distractions and see how it goes, that sounds like a good idea. Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 9 5:49 am

Kaiser

Our Little- Emperor

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 6:09am PST 
Bump - getting worse instead of better, could really use some advice!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Apr 9 5:49 am

Kaiser

Our Little- Emperor

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 6:27am PST 
Kaiser whines about *everything*.
He had a huuuuge issue with food when we got him, which we have been working diligently to resolve (he would jump and whine and go nuts until fed, and we have been clicker training him to calm down during mealtime - he will no longer jump or lunge, but we are still working on "You get fed if you don't whine", but it's been a full month and he's still not really getting it.)
So yeah, he whines while we're setting up food and while waiting to be fed. He whines when he's bored. He whines if Tobi won't play with him. He whines if Tobi has a toy he wants. He whines if he's hungry. He whines if he wants to go out. He basically whines all the time if he's not actively eating, playing with a toy, playing with Tobi or having attention paid to him. He has no independence and seems to think that whining will get him anything he desires (which it doesn't - I never give in).
So what's the deal? Any ideas on how to get him to stop whining about everything and nothing? I have a friend who has a dog that whines excessively and I really, really don't want one of those! We have lots of playtime, lots of exercise, and he and Tobi do play quite a bit. I don't think he has grounds to be as discontent as he is. Please share your ideas if you have any! blue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Apr 9 5:49 am

Behavior & Training > Please share your best SA advice!

Kaiser

Our Little- Emperor

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 5:58am PST 
**Sorry it's so long - you don't really have to read it all. TL;DR: puppy has really bad SA and goes bonkers and I need advice.**

I didn't realize until Kaiser how good I had it with Tobi. The first time I left home without him, I took him and Dexter, put them in their crate (they shared one for a while when they were young because they were both small and liked to cuddle), turned on the radio, left, and neither of them made a peep. I had one noise complaint once, when one of them wasn't feeling well and was forced to soil the crate - I don't blame them for barking then, I would too if I were sitting in poop, bol. But anyway, Separation Anxiety was never a problem for them, and I never had to think about it much.
Kaiser has been a horrible nightmare in this regard. He gets upset when I go to the washroom and leave him in the living room (he's blocked off for now because he was revisiting there to pee). There's a 50/50 chance that he will get upset when I crate him to do dishes, take a shower, etc.. His anxiety seems lessened when he's crated.

Yesterday I did a trial run. It was meant to be the quick, one-minute type where you wait for them to be quiet, even just for 5 seconds, before you return. The radio was on. He was pretty tired. He had lots of toys, a tasty chew, and was cozy in his crate. I calmly, no fuss, grabbed my coat and left, and stood right outside the door.
He didn't just whine a little. He got louder and louder over time. He whined, then screamed, then started making this horrible shrieking bark. He clawed at the crate and threw himself against it. He outright panicked. It took 15 full minutes to get the 5 seconds of silence. I came back in, and I tried to ignore him for a few minutes, took off my shoes, did some mild busy work, etc. and waited to greet either dog until they were both calm (Tobi was uncrated, snoozing on the couch, and perfectly calm throughout all this).
Every time I left his sight he devolved into acting like I had left again. He abhorred being ignored. He started screaming and fighting the walls of his crate again, even when I was in plain sight. And boy, is he loud. I live in an apartment building and can't have him being as loud as he was... the neighbours across the hallway have a baby. After another 10 minutes of waiting for him to settle so I could greet him, he just wouldn't shut up, and I had to acknowledge him without succeeding in getting the point across.

SO, that was a resounding failure. I may have missed important details for getting help in my post, but that went so atrociously, I just don't know what to do. I can't be home 24/7, and he needs to learn to be alone, but either he is going to be a tough nut to crack or I don't understand preparing for SA as well as I thought. Either way, I need some advice. I can't even run to the corner store to get a drink or go out to get the mail, and I can't keep pawning him off on friends and relatives every time I have something I need to do.

Please ask if I missed some details that might help understand why he went so berserk, or just share your best advice. I don't want to give him up, but I won't always have dogsitters available, and he can't be making this much noise while I'm gone or I'm going to have complaints... or worse yet, get evicted. I'm stumped. Please help! frown
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Rocky *CGC* With the angels., Mar 28 5:11 am

Puppy Place > Puppy needs a name - and give me some advice! :)
Kaiser

Our Little- Emperor

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 7:49am PST 
I mentioned Kaiser to my fiancé and he loved it, so that's what we're going with. He's an emperor and a delicious type of bun all in one package! wink
Thanks for the suggestions!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Mar 11 6:48 pm

Puppy Place > Puppy needs a name - and give me some advice! :)

Kaiser

Our Little- Emperor

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 2:22pm PST 
Hey dogsters!
We recent brought an 8-week old Australian Shepherd puppy into our lives. For the most part, he is a pleasure. We have had him for 3 days now and his personality is starting to come out. He's silly and super playful, and adores Tobi for some reason. Tobi started off cold and practically stalking the puppy to monitor him and helping us correct unwanted behaviours. He is finally warming up to him - today I finally got them playing together and Tobi tolerated him cuddling up for a nap. So cute puppy
Can you guys help me name him? There are more photos on his profile (sorry I can't directly link them, I don't have an image hosting website). So far, we have been thinking Jake, but fiancé is hesitating because he has a cousin named Jake. Someone also suggested Kirby, which we like, but think it might be too close to Tobi.
He is a bit of an entitled little guy. Something pertaining to royalty might be nice. Like 'King', but less cliché, maybe?

Also, we have read up quite a bit and know that Aussies can be quite persistent and hard-headed, and that he will need a lot of daily stimulation both mentally and physically - anyone have any other tidbits of advice for us? We hope to start formally training him soon, but right now he is so over-the-top obsessed with food (I guess he had a community food bowl with his siblings and didn't always get his fill) that we're working on taming that before we move on.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Mar 11 6:48 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.