Postings by Laika

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Other Barks & Woofs > Unhappy With Other Owners in my Complex
Laika

Ninja Kisser

Barked: Fri Nov 8, '13 3:50pm PST 
This year I was super excited to move into an apartment, as I'm a college student and this would mean I could finally bring my dogs along with me.

And here comes the rant:
The other dog owners in this complex are terrible, the majority(there are a few really fantastic ones). They don't clean up after their dogs, they don't pay attention to them when they're out, some don't even bother leashing their dogs when they take them out.

Even worse, on two separate occassions(the most recent being a little less than half an hour ago) I've seen two people hit their dogs for responding when mine pass.

The first was a tiny Chihuahua, off leash, who charged at my two dogs(respectively 15 and 45 pounds). It wasn't a big deal to me, my dogs are well behaved and didn't acknowledge him with more than a glance. His owner however felt the need to grab the poor little guy and hit him on the head. I bit back a comment and just kept walking, getting my dogs away from him.

Tonight, I passed a man with two dogs checking his mail. As soon as she saw us the little one started pulling and jumping. Pure excitement, no aggression whatsoever. He just turned around, hit her once, then two more times as she kept pulling. Then, his other dog started pulling in the opposite direction(probably to get away from the angry vibes) so he turned around and hit her too! Again, I resisted the urge to ask if he hits his kids too. No need to antagonize the situation.

I honestly don't understand it. It's really upsetting, but I don't know if there is anything I can do. My complex doesn't even check to make sure all of the dogs have their shots.

Maybe it's just the happy-go lucky "everything's awesome!" college mindset that had me expecting owners to be at least decent. I don't live in a bad area...

Is there anything I can do?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Laika, Nov 8 3:50 pm

Small Dogs > Small Dog Diet Help?
Laika

Ninja Kisser

Barked: Fri Oct 11, '13 3:14pm PST 
I've already tried regular Kongs she vacuums everything out of hers and then tries to steal my other dog's. I hadn't thought about food puzzles, but I was considering getting her the slow feed mat that's designed to look like blades of grass, where she would kind of have to forage for her food. Right now, I've just been hand feeding her to get her to slow down. I'll definitely look into the Kong Wobbler though, I've always overlooked it for some reason.

Again, thank you so much!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Laika, Oct 11 3:14 pm

Laika

Ninja Kisser

Barked: Thu Oct 10, '13 7:53am PST 
Thank you again for all of your help.
In your opinion, do you think using a slow feeder bowl with her will help? She pretty much inhales her food, so I feel like she never feels completely full and finds food elsewhere.

I'm also a little worried because she has a lot of loose skin. I'm not sure if I cut down on her food intake too quickly or too much, or if that's natural and it will eventually tighten back up as more muscle fills in or she continues to lose weight.

I will say, I can feel her ribs again(just barely) and she's starting to get her tuck back. Most of the weight is in little fat pockets on her sides just behind her ribs before her pelvic bone, closer to her back legs. I'm not sure what the technical name for that area is.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Laika, Oct 11 3:14 pm

Laika

Ninja Kisser

Barked: Tue Oct 8, '13 7:29am PST 
Thank you for your advice! Laika was doing well, she lost the first 3 pounds in just a few months but I feel like we've hit a plateau...or she might even be gaining weight. I've had to start separating her from my other dog during feedings because Cairo is starting to let Laika steal some of her food.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Laika, Oct 11 3:14 pm

Laika

Ninja Kisser

Barked: Sun Oct 6, '13 4:38pm PST 
My dog is the first I've ever had under 60 pounds, so when I first got her I made the mistake of not giving her size specific treats. That being said, she got a little chubby. She's a Boston Terrier/Chihuahua Mix and my vet told me to get her to about 14 pounds. She was 19 when that was suggested, and is currently at 16.

We've started running twice a day(probably only a mile total per run) and close to her top speed as my other dog(some kind of pointer/vizsla/lab mix) runs with us and can go much faster(although I act as mediator to keep the little one from getting dragged).

Background information established:
I'm having problems figuring out how much to feed her now via online nutrition calculators. She is technically still overweight, but her activity level has increased, so when I calculate it which level do I use?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Laika, Oct 11 3:14 pm

Food & Nutrition > Florida Dogsters: Publix Premium Dog Food?
Laika

Ninja Kisser

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 8:01am PST 
I had two Siberian Huskies who ate Iams all 10/12 years of their lives. I have no issues with it, I'd just like to switch to something higher quality for my dogs, even just to mix in with the Iams. I spoil them way more than my parents ever even considered spoiling the huskies.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Oct 5 10:18 am

Laika

Ninja Kisser

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 8:58am PST 
Mervyn, I'm aware Iams is lower quality but as I said I'm currently not the one in charge of food choices for my dogs. I was unaware of the Publix recalls though, thank you for that information. I will look into Acana Regionals and Amicus.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Oct 5 10:18 am

Laika

Ninja Kisser

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 5:45am PST 
Thank you Mulder! It looks about the same, without the corn like you said. The next time I'm out I'll check the price for myself and see if the switch is worth it.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Oct 5 10:18 am

Laika

Ninja Kisser

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 9:53am PST 
I just saw an add for it today and I'm curious. I haven't gotten around to going to the store to read the ingredients, but what they advertise seems promising...which could really mean nothing other than they have a good marketing department.

Does anyone buy this for their dog?
What are the ingredients?
Price?

I currently feed my dogs Iams(because my parents are in charge of buying food) but I plan to switch them to something higher quality when I move. It'd be nice if the Publix Premium food was the higher quality I'm looking for and a lower price than some of the others I've looked into.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Oct 5 10:18 am

Behavior & Training > Is This How Sibling Rivalries Start?
Laika

Ninja Kisser

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 4:35am PST 
I've had my newly adopted dog since November, and up until last month my oldest dog seemed to have no problem with her and vice versa. Now if I am petting/playing with one the other forces her way in between. There is no aggression, it's just slightly annoying to have a 45 pound dog shove her way between myself and my 15 pound dog at full speed.

Every time this happens if the pushy one doesn't back off after two commands, I leave the room or go sit somewhere else and ignore both. Am I handling this correctly?(I feel like I'm not because the other dog gets punished as well)

I'm just worried that this little annoying behavior is a sign that they might get worse about the whole "sharing" thing. I've seen my Pointer mix play with dogs three times her size and bounce right back if she gets knocked over, so the last thing I want is for her to be full on aggressive with my Boston Terrier mix. I tend to worry a lot when it comes to these two. Any strange behavior I like to ask around about because I'd like to solve problems with them early on since they'll be together for the remainder of their lives(unless of course it becomes dangerous or something), so in the event that I'm over reacting, let me know. I seem to either be more aware of dog behavior now(after working at a dog daycare for the past year) or I'm just having all kinds of new behaviors I've never had with past dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Laika, Jun 28 4:35 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.