Postings by Stella

GO!

Raw Food Diet > How much does RAW need to mimic a "natural" diet?

Stella

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 9:07am PST 
Thanks for the responses! Stella will eat chicken necks, thankfully. But I am going to start leaving the meat on the bone, I know she is capable of eating it that way (she has before).
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Feb 2 9:56 pm

Raw Food Diet > How much does RAW need to mimic a "natural" diet?
Stella

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 11:59pm PST 
I was talking to some people today and they said I should not be measuring out 80% meat 10% bone and 10%organ. I don't need to be exact and that I am hurting my dog by not making it varied enough. I should just eye ball it, because in nature they don't get a balanced diet. I like being as exact as possible. And should I feed liver with every meal? They said I shouldn't... I'm confused.

Also, Stella will not tear meat off a big slab of meat. I cut it up for her. I tried giving her a drumstick several times, she will not actually eat it. So I take the meat off the bone. She crunches it up just fine. They said it could cause intestinal perforation or she could choke. Oh and she only gets chicken bone (but not just chicken meat). Should I start leaving more meat on the bone? Is the way I'm feeding her unsafe??
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Feb 2 9:56 pm

Raw Food Diet > wont eat pork ribs

Stella

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 2:17pm PST 
ha Stella loves backs as well! I will look around for some softer bone that isnt from poultry. also, is it dangerous to take the meat off the bones? ive heard conflicitng views on this. And if I should leave meat on, how much meat should I leave on to make it safer?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Stella , Jan 29 2:17 pm

Stella

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 10:55am PST 
Thank you for your reply! She has been the vet recently and he didn't see anything abnormal, plus she goes to town on this antler we have. She will also chew up chicken backs which I was worried she wouldn't do. She just gets unsure of new things. I will probably try to strip the ribs of as much meat as possible to see of that helps. I have not tried beef ribs yet either.
My concern is about her health. It's not sufficent for her to only eat chicken bones, correct? I'm going to try some turkey neck tomorrow as well. Yesterday was the first time I tried ribs so I'll keep trying. I was sort of inpatient lol, the rib was small! I felt like she was acting like she is a delicate 5lb pound dog when she is a 93 pound mastiff ha. She is only 9 months this week so she could still be teething. I just called a butcher and they won't grind up ribs frown I just want her to get a variety of bones. Is it dangerous for me to try to cut the bone into smaller pieces that she could basically just swallow?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Stella , Jan 29 2:17 pm

Stella

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 11:15pm PST 
So, Stella wont eat chicken bones unless most of the meat is taken off which is not a huge deal, but still sort of annoying lol. I bought a bunch of pork ribs and went to feed them to her today for the first time. She would not eat them!! And it is really hard to get the meat off of the bone. I cant only feed her chicken bones but I dont know how to get her to eat the ribs! I was thinking about getting a meat grinder and just grinding up the bones that she wont eat on her own, but I dont know if I grinder can handle pork or beef ribs. does anybody grind up ribs??? or know what kind of meat grinder i would need (power level or whatever).
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Stella , Jan 29 2:17 pm

Raw Food Diet > how to calculate calcium and phosphorus levels
Stella

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 1:53pm PST 
okay, that makes more sense to me. and that is as fed not dry weight.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Stella , Jan 28 1:53 pm

Raw Food Diet > how to calculate calcium and phosphorus levels

Stella

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 11:26pm PST 
I have downloaded the excel spreadsheet that says what nutrients your dog needs. I am just curious as to how to correctly determine if a food I am feeding my dog has the appropriate levels (specifically calcium and phosphorus). For example, I asked someone what they thought about this prepared raw food "small batch", they said the calcium was really low. I asked how they knew that and they said that the math is complicated.

example: how do i i make sure this is a complete food or understand how much i need to supplement if it isn't. btw, my dog is a 9 month old italian mastiff.

beef heart & chicken blend:

**Beef Hearts, **Chicken (including muscle meat and bones).
Moisture 70%
Protein 18%
Fat 10%
Fiber 2%
Ash 2%
Calcium 1.1%
Phosphorus 0.86%

thank you in advance!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Stella , Jan 28 1:53 pm

Raw Food Diet > Newbie to raw diet. Questions about rotating proteins.

Stella

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 9:54am PST 
Thank you for the response! I've been looking into raw diets for a long time, but I always seem to have questions lol. I'll admit, I'm a little nervous about everything, I just don't want to mess up and hurt my girl.

And think she is still teething. Yesterday she was chewing on a Nyla bone and I noticed it was really bloody, along with another toy she was chewing on. I don't mind cutting up her food, but it would be nice if she would eat a whole drumstick so I can save myself some prep time and i want her to learn how to chew up meat. But I dont care if it takes a while to get to that point, or even if i have to cut it up forever, i just don't want her to choke (big fear on our home because we had a 5 month old bulldog choke to death on kibble).
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 15 10:03 am

Raw Food Diet > Newbie to raw diet. Questions about rotating proteins.

Stella

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 9:20am PST 
Hi everyone!
I am a proud owner of a 8 month old Cane Corso (Italian mastiff) named Stella.I switched her to a raw diet about 3 weeks ago. So far everything is going great. I've only been feeding her chicken and we are ready for a new protein. I bought red meat and pork the other day and gave her a few pieces to try, she loved it. My question is how often can I switch up the proteins? Can I give her pork one day and then chicken the next? Can I mix chicken and pork? Or could I even do three different proteins in one day?

Also, Stella will not chew up big pieces of meat yet so I have been cutting the meat into chunks. Should I stop doing that and basically force her to chew up a big piece of meat? She will chew up bones but only of most of the meat has been removed.

Thanks in advance! I look forward to being a part of this forum.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 15 10:03 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.