Postings by Mischa

GO!

Puppy Place > Full-time job and Puppy

Mischa

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 12:34pm PST 
We just got an 8 week old Dalmatian puppy last weekend. We crate her at night (which will eventually go away once she's potty trained) and let her out when she stirs and needs to go outside. My fiance wakes up around 5 lets her out and lets her play and run while he gets ready. He puts her in bed with me when he leaves until I wake up around 6:45. I'll feed her play with her and let her out before crating her again when I leave for work around 7:30. Once she's older, its warmer, and she's a bit better on her leash we'll be going for walks.

So far she's done great at not having accidents throughout the day. I think only one. And none at night. She doesn't love the crate yet, whines a lot still. But I'm hoping that will get better. And after she's fully potty trained we plan on letting her stay out at night. She's great at sleeping in her doggy bed but we just don't want her to get up and go do her business in a corner somewhere and us not know.

There's a lady who has a dog sitting service in our neighborhood that we use. She stops by around lunch time and lets her out, feeds her, and plays with her.My fiance gets home around 4:30 when he's not working OT otherwise I get home a little after 5.

It was scary finding someone we trusted. I didn't want to place an ad for just any individual to come into our home. But she has been doing it for several years and does it for a living and is very professional. I recommend http://www.petsit.com/locate/ or www.care.com. The 2nd website is more individuals like college students and such but you can screen them and some even have background checks done. We found ours through our HOA Classifieds.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sir Snicker Doodle, Jan 26 9:26 am

Behavior & Training > New to Crate Training
Mischa

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 8:59am PST 
I'd never crate trained at night before but we need her to be okay with being in a crate through the day as we both work. We have a dog sitter that will be coming by a couple times through the day. And later after she's fully vaccinated we've looked into sending her to a doggy day care so she can become socialized to other dogs.

Eventually once she's fully potty trained we want to take the crate away at night so she can just sleep in her bed. Which she's good at anyway but we just want to take away the possibility of her wandering around and having an accident somewhere that we won't see. At least in a crate she has a way to tell us she needs to go outside. We can hear her stirring and whining which I don't think we could do if we just had her in her bed.

I am just feeling guilty. She's doing well with potty training so far so hopefully we can take the crate away soon. But right now I just want to rush to her crate and night and scoop her up and put her in bed with us. Haha. I'm a big softy. But I know it would just prolong the process.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 21 9:28 am

Dogster Railroad > Transport Florida to Chicago

Mischa

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 8:44am PST 
I've seen on one of the "Dogs 101" episodes on animal planets that there is a service where freelance pilots volunteer their time to help in situations like this.

I can't remember the name of the service but I think it was in the "Best Traveling Companions" episode . It was an Irish Setter.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mischa, Jan 21 8:44 am

Behavior & Training > New to Crate Training

Mischa

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 8:40am PST 
I've had dogs all my life. But in the past all of our family dogs had mainly either been primarily outside dogs or had been allowed to sleep wherever they chose in the house.

We picked up our dalmatian puppy over the weekend and last night was night #2. The first night she did okay only whining for ten minutes or so after putting her back in after a late night potty break. Last night she whined much more and each time she was put back in. We ended up putting her bed inside since she hadn't had any overnight accidents and was doing well sleeping in her bed and that did help some.

Everything I've read says just to let them cry and they will realize that you're not coming to let them out. That talking to them and/or shh'ing them only encourages them crying.

But I just feel so bad and don't want her to develop any problems from a traumatic experience. She's done fine through the day with having the crate open and going in and out.

Is it just that she's come to realize she doesn't have her litter next to her at night?

Any recommendations?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 21 9:28 am

Dogs & Travel > Picking up New Puppy! - 8 hour drive!

Mischa

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 8:21am PST 
Thought I'd stop back in with an update:

Mischa did great. She slept the entire way. The breeder had fed her that morning early so she would be full but wouldn't get car sick. She sent us with a little packet of food and recommended that we let her snack occasionaly so that she wasn't too hungry. I would give her 5-6 pieces of kibble at a time and took a small resealable container for her to drink out of. We let her out every time we stopped but tried to avoid places like rest stops that had designated "pet areas" so that we could avoid the possibilty of parvo.

Our breeder also had the puppies play a lot earlier that morning so that helped as well.
We took the bed we'd bought her and sat it on the back seat. I sat in the back with her. She climbed right in the bed and was asleep within 5 minutes. Our breeder sent a blanket with the smell of her brothers and sisters and we had a stuffed dog for her to cuddle up to and a few other toys.

We had to wake her up to get her to go outside to potty. We've gone on a couple of short car rides since. And we bring her bed and she goes right to sleep. I had originally been so nervous but I was truly amazed at how well she did. She was the perfect passenger.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Jan 22 3:52 am

Dogs & Travel > Picking up New Puppy! - 8 hour drive!
Mischa

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 6:04am PST 
So we have searched long & hard to find a dalmatian breeder that fit for us. And we finally found one and have a deposit in, but she's 8 hours away. And it will be worth it!

We'll be going to pick her up in about a week and a half and I can't wait! I've done some reading about how you should go about that first encounter.

But does anyone have advice as to traveling such a long distance with a dog at such a young age (8 weeks) and one that is not yet used to you yet?
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Jan 22 3:52 am

Food & Nutrition > New Dalmatian Owner- Low Purines

Mischa

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 11:40am PST 
I'm new to dogster and will be adding a Dalmatian puppy to our family later this month. We've done lots of research on the breed regarding temperament and health issues.

I know that they require a low purine diet which is mainly consistent of poultry based foods rather than raw meat and avoid some grains.

Does anyone have any specific brands that they've had sucess with? Both puppy & adult foods?

what do you use as treats?

Our breeder says she feeds puppy chow (I was suprised) and Natural Balance as they are older.

She said green beans are a great treat.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Taggert, Jan 7 4:39 pm

Dalmatian > Miniature Dalmations?

Mischa

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 11:35am PST 
So I've recently been looking into getting a Dal. There aren't many breeders in our area so I've looked long & far. We have one we will be picking up in NC later this month.

I looked on this page out of curiosity and it took me about 30 seconds to exit out of that window. It looks like someone who is trying to exploit the breed. People who have a true love for dalmatians but also love small dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mischa, Jan 7 11:35 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.