Postings by Queen Belladonna PSDiT

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Remind me of the difference between Service and Therapy dogs....
Queen- Belladonna- PSDiT

I'm a Queen who- works like a- pesant

Barked: Mon Jul 20, '15 2:49pm PST 
Thats pretty much what I thought. I have trained 3 Service Dogs for my husband one of which was stolen one died of a heart attack and the other has been down sick with an allergy to something in his food. He is starting to get better now that we have changed his food. Its strange how some people just think that just because there are issues that require a dog to help them that they can have one dog that is set up to do it all. And its also sad that other people think that they can turn a profit taking unsuspecting people for a ride by providing "Service Dogs" with barely any training and passing them off as Therapy/ Service Dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Queen Belladonna PSDiT, Jul 20 2:49 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Remind me of the difference between Service and Therapy dogs....
Queen- Belladonna- PSDiT

Barked: Sun Jul 19, '15 5:20pm PST 
A week ago I was skimming the pet ads on craigslist and saw an ad for a lady who was looking for a pit bull to be her "therapy dog". She said in the ad that she is only paying between $1500 and $2500 for the training and when the 8 weeks of training was done the dog would be a registered "therapy dog" that she could take everywhere. Now I know the difference between the two as my husband is a disabled veteran who has a lot of issues that I will not talk about here. The lady listed her issues that require her to have a "therapy dog", such as being bi-polar to the point of sitting down and crying uncontrollably and rocking back and forth. I emailed her being very nice and explained that what she needs is not a therapy dog but a Service Dog and that a pit bull might not be the right fit because she has anxiety issues and she would have a lot of access issues with a pit bull then she would have with any other breed. I also told her kindly that her trainer is a joke as it takes more than a year to properly train a SD and more than the $2500 that her trainer was asking not to mention that the certification is fake because there is not a national registry for Service Dogs. She replied to me telling me that her trainer told her that every therapy dog is automatically a Service Dog. I made mention to her in my email that this is not true because a SD needs to be taught to ignore other people and to focus on the handler or it could cost the handler their life. I guess I have two questions here. 1) Did I do the right thing by trying to educate this person? 2)Just because the dog is a Therapy dog doesnt automatically make it a SD does it?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Queen Belladonna PSDiT, Jul 20 2:49 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > New to the forum

Queen- Belladonna- PSDiT

Barked: Sun Jun 21, '15 6:05pm PST 
First welcome! And on the other thing the site has been going through some changes in the last couple months so yeah you are gonna have that. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Amber, Jun 24 11:07 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > How young is too young for Service Dog training?

Queen- Belladonna- PSDiT

Barked: Sat Jun 13, '15 9:32am PST 
Isis learns everything really quickly. She already knows that one of her two harnesses means that she gets to go in the SUV for rides. She also mastered the ramp like it was nothing. She learned MY hand signals for sit,stay and wait in a few days. She is getting to a point where she can be allowed to run in the yard without a leash and wont leave the yard. Her owners and I use that term very loosely, dropped her off a couple weeks ago along with about 1/8 of a bag of puppy food that she wouldnt eat and that was making her sick and havent returned any of my texts or phone calls. I have even had their family members who are friends of mine try contacting them so that they know I have had to change Isis's food and take her to the vet to try and make her feel better. I withheld food for 24 hours then gave her a tiny bit of boiled venison and rice to see how that would sit on her tummy and she was able to keep that down. Vet told us to give her a little pepto to settle the tummy. Anyway Isis is VERY smart, just with not knowing what breed(s) she is its hard to know if she will be the size I want for my Service Dog as I like a bigger dog. I am only saying this as an IF I am right and her owners aren't planning on coming back for her. I know I have to wait 30+ days before we can legally say that she is our dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Queen Belladonna PSDiT, Jun 13 9:32 am

Puppy Place > Quick couple of questions about my pup! Please help!

Queen- Belladonna- PSDiT

Barked: Tue Jun 9, '15 5:04pm PST 
The thunder shirt does work really well. At least it did on my Bella.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Queen Belladonna PSDiT, Jun 9 5:04 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Few quick questions about flyers and vests
Queen- Belladonna- PSDiT

Barked: Sun May 31, '15 3:21pm PST 
Sitstay.com has good looking durable vests for your dog. They are pretty cheap from what I have seen and I have purchased two of them one for my husband's first SD that has now lasted through 3 dogs and one for my own dog
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sam, Mon 2:44 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > How young is too young for Service Dog training?

Queen- Belladonna- PSDiT

Barked: Fri May 29, '15 8:46pm PST 
I know that I might end up having to partly retire Bella because of an issue that has come up and am looking at possibly getting a puppy to take over for Bella. I dont want a really young puppy under 3 months old as I dont really have the time to really handle the housebreaking part with school and homework. I have been puppysitting a young Dutch Shepherd puppy and have fallen in love with her. I get the feeling that her owners are getting ready to do what I call a dump and run out on her. She is so completely glued to my side during the times I am home like now that I am home for the summer that if I even think of moving from my spot to go to the bathroom or the bedroom she has to be right with me. She is about 4 months old I THINK but I am not sure right now. I know that Tank was around 3 months when he started training because it was around the time that Katana passed on. Bella was older around 9 months when she started training. IF I was to end up with the puppy how young is too young to start teaching her what Bella knows?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Queen Belladonna PSDiT, Jun 13 9:32 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Camping with SD

Queen- Belladonna- PSDiT

Barked: Tue May 19, '15 12:25pm PST 
I'll add in one other thing and that would be the doggie first aid kit. I doubt that the camp would be prepared for any emergencies concerning your dog, should they arise, so make sure that you carry a first aid kit for your dog and for yourself. My husband and I have taken Tank and Bella out on hikes and made sure that we had boots so that their paw pads didnt get torn up on the trails so that is another thing you might want to look at.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Queen Belladonna PSDiT, May 19 12:25 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > How to explain to family why you are taking your dog everywhere when the family don't care.

Queen- Belladonna- PSDiT

Barked: Mon May 18, '15 11:19am PST 
The brother that made the comment has seen how Tank and Bella help us and he seemed like he wanted to learn. Now he has to be snotty and cruel about the fact that we need the dogs. My husband who is Tanks handler is a disabled veteran who suffers from PTSD as well as other issues and I have been told I have secondary PTSD as well as PTSD myself that's why I have Bella. She will alert me to people behind me and will put herself between me and the people behind me to keep me safe. Tank does DPT for my husband and Bella will curl up and cuddle on my lap if we are in a location where I can sit on the ground. My siblings are all older and although we have the same mom we have a different dad but they treat me like I am a leper and have since before my mom passed away 7 years ago. I have pretty much given up on getting through to them on anything. In fact one of my sisters told me to quit writing and get a real job because writing will never pay the bills.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Queen Belladonna PSDiT, May 18 11:19 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > How to explain to family why you are taking your dog everywhere when the family don't care.
Queen- Belladonna- PSDiT

Barked: Sat May 16, '15 8:59am PST 
First let me start off by saying I know its been a while since most of my friends here have seen or heard from Tank and Bella and I but we have all been busy. Now on to what I have a problem with... This week my soon to be 18 year old son had an awards program at his school for the NJROTC or Naval Junior Recruit Operations Training Corps, which he is a third almost forth year cadet. He called and asked if my husband and I would be there and we told him that of course we would be. To make a long story short we took the dogs to the awards ceremony and since my sister, who my son lives with, is "allergic to dogs" (total BS because they share the home they live in with my step-dad and his Chi Bandit) we sat on the far side of the room. My brother walked by us and made some snide comment along the lines of "its pretty damn bad when you cant even go to your sons awards ceremony without having to bring the two dogs along. Just goes to prove that the dogs are more important than your kid." I have tried time and again to explain to my four siblings that Tank and Bella allow my husband and I to be able to be out in public because they keep us calm and ground us when we start getting too stressed. They think its all in our heads and that we are just trying to get attention. How do we explain it any better than what we already have tried?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Queen Belladonna PSDiT, May 18 11:19 am

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.