Postings by Sassy

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Behavior & Training > Protective over bones?
Sassy

~Hyper yet as- smart as can be~-

Barked: Sat Dec 20, '14 2:35pm PST 
Got my dog a large bone and she's been acting up. She will pick it up and run away with it when a person approaches, but when one of our cats gets near she will chase them away. One of them is quite old, 17 years old, and doesn't need to be running like that at all.

What can we do to stop her from being so protective?

All of the internet articles are based on a dog that is possessive with humans when it comes to toys, but mine could care less if a person tries to take her bone (although she tries to resist) but cats are a different story. She's good with them except when it comes to toys and bones.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sassy, Sat 2:35 pm

Behavior & Training > Um what the heck... alphaship techniques sweeping the whole animal world?
Sassy

Barked: Fri Oct 4, '13 7:43pm PST 
Ah, you guys made my day - or night.

Anyway, maybe next time my turtle bites me thinking I'm a worm I'll have to alpha-roll him so he knows that fingers are not worms... I wonder how that would work?

Me- sticks finger in tank.
Turtle- Oh! a worm *bite*
Me- I'm not a worm! *flips over and holds down* take that!

Hehe. That'd go over well... laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Oct 8 4:22 pm

Behavior & Training > Thoughts on training collars

Sassy

Barked: Mon Sep 30, '13 9:32am PST 
I taught our own puppy (She's not a puppy any more...) to walk okay on a leash. All I did was start out with the turn around when ever the puppy pulls and walk the other way method, and the graduated into the stop and wait method, and then into the one where you use force to correct your dog, and now finally back to the stop method only now I expect Sassy to walk towards me and sit down and wait for me to move again. We are getting there. It is a long, long process, though.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sassy, Sep 30 9:32 am

Behavior & Training > Sassy is a little on the fearful side...

Sassy

Barked: Thu Sep 5, '13 5:05pm PST 
I have known this for a while... she flipped out over a school bus a couple months after we got her. She also does not like certain objects in the house ( like a flashlight, baseball caps, exercise balls ect.)

Well, I was walking her earlier and our neighbor was out doing yard work. I guess Sassy did not see him at first because she flipped out again. Her hair stood on end, she gave a growl/bark, and tried to run away from him. She reashed the end of the leash and was jerked around. I apologized to the man and told him that she really was a nice dog and that he must have startled her before hurrying away. On our way back, he was still there. When Sassy saw him, she bolted again. I was not preparded for that so she drug me along a few feet.

Anyway, after today I realized that, while she would never bite or attack under normal situations, I am sure that if that man had tried to come closer she could have attacked.

So, if something like that happens again how should I handle it? Was I right in walking away? I let her stop and look back at him once we were down the road a ways. I also had allowed her to watch him for a moment before we passed him on the road again. I was on the other side of the road that time so all of us felt a little safer.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Zeea, Sep 6 3:41 pm

Food & Nutrition > Possible allergies to food...

Sassy

Barked: Sun Aug 4, '13 6:53pm PST 
Yes, I thought about other allergies but if it was that then she wouldn't scratch at her bottom so much. Definitely not enough to make it bleed. And, than you, Arya, I will look into that as well.

And, $500 is a little much for us to spend right at this moment...
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Aug 9 10:47 am

Sassy

Barked: Sat Aug 3, '13 9:17pm PST 
Okay, thank you...
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Aug 9 10:47 am

Sassy

Barked: Sat Aug 3, '13 8:55pm PST 
Hello, now on top of one problem (with Koda) I've now got another one on my hands.

So, now I've also got to fight with my parents over something else... Fun, fun confused .

So, Sassy's shown most of the signs of allergies. She scartches at her lower regions often, bites at her toes, once she even scratched "down there" enough that she started to bleed. Now, her ears are turning very red. I'm really hoping they are not infected. I don't know what I would do about that... I will ask and see if we can get some ear mite medicine just in case that is what it is. I also told my mom that we will probably have to change dog foods.

Anyone have any suggestions? What to avoid? Any certain brands that won't cost a fortune to buy?
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Aug 9 10:47 am

Behavior & Training > Can we talk seriously about genetics and behavior?

Sassy

Barked: Thu Aug 1, '13 1:36pm PST 
I believe that with enough training, you can control a dog. With some dogs, no amount of training can completely cure them of their problem, what ever it may be. But, I do believe that in some cases it is complelty the owner's fault for letting their dog act the way it does. It's not that hard to train a dog not to bark. It's not that hard to teach a dog not to jump on people. But, other things are purely personality and can be bent but not broken. To beack the personalitly... trait of a dog, you need to do a lot of stuff with them.

So, I think that every dog can be controlled. I do not believe that one person can control any dog. Some people simply cannot (or don't have the resorces) to control a dog. By control I mean use commands like come, leave it, be quiet, down, and so on.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Baby, Aug 7 10:41 am

Behavior & Training > Uncontained Dogs - VENT

Sassy

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 9:32am PST 
Yeah, just a couple of days ago I took Sassy for a walk when we were ambushed by three small dogs. If it was my other dog, I don't know what would have happened. He's a husky and very prey motivated. Three small dogs like that... Anyway, I had enough problems controlling Sassy so I could walk away from the little things. I can't believe them people let their dogs loose like that, expecially because we live right on a busy road with cars flying down it at 60 or more mph...

Also, I was going back by their house on my walk home when I saw something big and brown right in the middle of their yard. I looked at it for a second before deciding that it was offully big, but it looked like a large chocolate lab.

Now, I did not want to mess with a larger dog, so I hurried away and turned down onto the busy road. As I was walking, I can swear I heard something go "Mooo!"

Yesterday, I went for another walk. No small dogs to be seen, thankfully, but on my way back past that house I saw a huge bull tied to a fence in the people's back yard. Now I'm certain that what I had saw the day before was a bull, loose, in those people's yard! I mean, seriously! Next to a busy road? Immagie the damage that thing could do to a car! Ugh... naughty
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Aug 1 1:59 pm

Behavior & Training > Uncontained Dogs - VENT
Sassy

Barked: Sun Jul 28, '13 4:47pm PST 
Neither of my dogs have a fenced in yard, but, one is trained to stay in the yard (we are ALWAYS watching) and the other is always on a chain when he's outside.

What to do when you encounter an aggressive dog: I don't know how much this will help, but here's something you could take a look at: http://www.thedogtrainingsecret.com/blog/territorial-aggressive-dog- training-question/

I had to search for a long time to find that one...

Anyway, I think it would be in your best interests to call animal control the next time you see a dog loose. Our neighbors down the road let their husky off the leash the other day thinking she'd stay in the yard thanks to a friend's visiting dog. Nope, off she went. We found her later in our yard... Luckily, the dog is not aggressive, but she could have been hit and killed by a car.

Anyway, I'd call animal control in a situation like that.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Aug 1 1:59 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.