Postings by Shorty

GO!

Dog Health > Shorty's tummy issues. Advice?

Shorty

Bring the ball- back? Why?

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 9:27am PST 
SHORTY IS ON DAY 8! AND slowly making his way back to dry food. He kept trying to run off with the canned stuff like he was used to doing when he was well.

Do you think its normal that his stool is so soft though? I walk him and get nothing out of him. Then half an hour later its on the floor. Its not so much a problem as annoying. Do I wait to see if it firms up? Or is there something I can give him?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 22 10:39 am

Shorty

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 9:38am PST 
DAY 5!!! party
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 22 10:39 am

Shorty

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 6:47am PST 
I have read some of those myth vs facts sites myself. And I agree with you. But its the only thing I could think of to try at home to figure out Shorty's dilemma.
That being said, we have made a new record! Today is day 4 of eating in a row!!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 22 10:39 am

Shorty

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 9:30am PST 
I decided to try out two new different dog foods, to get him off the I/D. I started with Science Diet Puppy for small breeds. (I know everyone says its "bleh" but I have my reasons for trying). We had the same pattern. Eat for two days, then a sick day. I while he had a "sick" day, I fasted him until he was BEGGING for food, aka tummy settled, that evening. Then I switched again, to Wellness Core Puppy. So far so good. We are on day three since I started the Wellness Core. Which happens to be a 5/5 star on DogFoodAdvisors.com (thanks to whoever suggested that) and grain-free. Its higher than I want to pay but I need him on healthy food. My reasons for trying the two different foods was this: corn allergy. The I/D has corn in it and so does Science Diet. All the foods he's been on are canned and I started adding extra water to his food to be sure he's hydrated since he's not been drinking on his own much. Three days in a row of eating is his current record. I may be jinxing myself with my excitement but hey I'm excited. cheer
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Dec 22 10:39 am

Shorty

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 7:41am PST 
On days he eats, he's a bouncing, happy boy. So when we first started on the I/D I was just plain excited he was eating again. But now Im concerned with getting him to eat consistently and how much a day to feed him. As much as I would love to get him on dry food, I found a grain-free canned I want to give a shot at for a few days (Bil-Jac's Grain-free chicken and vegetables).
And I would love to go the homemade route but most of the recipes I've looked at say to add supplements which I can't afford right now.

Here's a question: Food suggestions? Canned or other wise? My vet wants me to (eventually) get him on Science Diet for puppies. But all of them have a corn product in it and I wonder if maybe that's the issue here. (Seeing as I know first hand rice is no issue with him.)
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Dec 22 10:39 am

Shorty

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 6:34am PST 
All of you have been most helpful. And I love the LOVE on this forum. Shorty being my first dog/child I want to do right by him and get this figured out.

About a week ago, we went back in. Vet gave me another RX for Flagyl, added carafate (to coat his stomach), and I finally got a one a day dosing for him on Pepcid (1/4 of a 10mg tab a day, thank god for pill cutters). He was already on a probiotic when all this started. And on days he doesn't eat, I supplement that for yogurt.
Watching him for this long I started paying more attention and seeing a pattern. Two days of eating, wake up the next morning (with him in my face no less) with his tummy gurgling loud enough my husband can here it. Thats how we know today is a sick day for Shorty. The pattern is there an almost plan-able. I started keeping a log of when he gets food (if he does) and his medication. He has been free of edible chews (like bully sticks) since before the first vet visit. This whole situation is just plain odd to me and our vet. When we went in last, he had blood work and an X-ray done (OUCH!) and both came back completely normal. Hurray that its normal but still no answers. Thinking back to when we first got him, I guess I wasn't paying as close attention (we weren't supposed to be keeping him then) and didn't notice. My mom says he's been like this from the start. But I don't remember the anorexia being this consistent.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Dec 22 10:39 am

Shorty

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 12:51pm PST 
I've been thinking that too. Today I cut him down to a tablespoon. And I would like to go back to the old food he liked but its vet prescribed only. My vet wants me to get him to eating "kibble" again. And she suggested the Science Diet brand for puppies. I just haven't picked anything up yet because I see no point switching his food yet if he's not eating consistently.

EDIT: Yes he is eating when I offer the food. Today.
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by , Dec 22 10:39 am

Shorty

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 12:07pm PST 
JEWEL: When I got him he was on a Purina prescription dry food "Gastroenteric". He liked it. When I ran out I tried two different grain-free foods that he didn't touch. Taste of the Wild and Petsmart's Authority Grain-free. His poop is kind of in the solid and soft.

LILY: I feed him about a tablespoon and a half every three hours. He has never eaten much. My vet wants me to "fatten him up" so he can bounce back if he gets sick again. Of course I need him to eat for more than a few days in a row at a time.
[notify]
» There has since been 30 posts. Last posting by , Dec 22 10:39 am

Shorty

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 9:54am PST 
Yes. So long as he eats he's fine. But I can't figure why he eats one day or two and then doesn't the next. It baffles me. And I haven't called the vet yet (again) because I can't afford to keep going in and get told the same thing. So I'm going to see how the rest of the week goes before I do that. See if I can either get him eating on his own for more than two days or at least keep track of the pattern.
[notify]
» There has since been 33 posts. Last posting by , Dec 22 10:39 am

Shorty

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 7:56am PST 
Shorty (3.5 Lbs) started his list of pet visits last week on Monday. We found out he had been substituting his chew sticks for meals instead of eating. The vet has him on Prescription Diet canned I/D Gastrointestinal. He's been eating it but what happens is he'll eat a day or two then wont, then he will again. And when he doesn't he's sick. The diarrhea is mostly gone, so we've mostly got vomiting. I have to keep him hydrated myself with an oral syringe. My vet suggesting giving him about 1.25 mg of pepcid but I have NO way to make that happen over-the-counter. (They don't make 5mg tablets OTC.)

Has anyone else with a tiny pup or chihuahua had this problem? I'd like to try everything I can before spending oodles of money on tests.
[notify]
» There has since been 35 posts. Last posting by , Dec 22 10:39 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.