GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Food & Nutrition > Someone 'hates' Champion Pet Foods.
Madison- Ainsley

I- ammmmm....Hoooow- ie Girl!

Barked: Thu Nov 21, '13 10:20pm PST 
All I can do is laugh and think that maybe the "hate for Champion Foods" story teller actually works for Science Diet and has fallen for all those "studies".
As far as stating that she works for a Veterinarian and they have seen so many cases coming in with kidney problems caused by the high protein in Acana or Orijen, all I can say is that after 17 years as a Licensed Veterinary Technician in a very progressive Veterinary hospital with both traditional and Holistic Veterinarians on staff, I can honestly state that over the past 5 years and especially since the big food recalls in '08, we have seen our kidney problem cases drop and we can attribute this to the better foods out there and the wonderful research that our educated clients have done in the food area. They are now aware that feeding the big commercial foods are not all that they are cracked up to be. They are feeding more raw, better proteins, USA or Canadian sourced foods. They are not feeding foods that are grain heavy, they are feeding species appropriate foods.
It is not the amount of protein they are eating that matters, it is the type of proteins they are eating that effect the kidneys. The kidneys need good protein.
Whoever did write the article about Champion needs to read up and research species appropriate whole foods for our pets. Not fall for the propaganda that the huge animal food companies are touting out.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 2 7:35 am

Food & Nutrition > Switching food & would appreciate opinions
Madison- Ainsley

Barked: Thu Nov 21, '13 10:06pm PST 
Have you looked into Acana, great foods and they now have limited ingredient formulas. As far as your itchy dog, she may need more fatty acids added such as a good fish oil with at least 500mg DHA/EPA, coconut oil, flax seed oils. I am a big believer in changing foods very often, I feed different food all the time but I am a big raw food feeder along with Acana and Orijen. I add different meats all the time, I add beef heart, small amounts of liver, tripe. Dogs who are fed the same foods can overtime develop allergies to the food.
As far as your pup with a sensitive tummy you can make a great "cocktail" with slippery elm, aloe vera, acidophilus and chlorophyll, the slippery elm will coat the tummy, the aloe heals and soothes ulcers and the acidophilus is a probiotic. I work with a holistic veterinarian, we tell owners about this cocktail all the time, it works great, my dogs get it every night before bed. If you would like the recipe you can message me and I will send it to you. There is nothing in the cocktail that will harm your pup, it can only help.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 1 6:46 pm

Food & Nutrition > Suddenly starving!

Madison- Ainsley

Barked: Thu Nov 21, '13 9:57pm PST 
Has Bella had any blood work done lately? Because she is not eating well and seems to be losing weight I would have a chem panel done to include thyroid.
As a Vet Tech I always recommend having blood work done at least once a year if anything to be pro-active and not reactive if our dogs start to act ill or just not right.
If all comes out normal,then I would rethink the foods that you are feeding. Is she on just kibble? If so can you add some chicken, beef or high quality canned food to entice Bella? Dogs can and do become bored with their foods and should have their food changed up often, change the proteins often. Add different meats, yogurt, liver, beef heart or any high value food Bella may be interested in.
Best wishes and I hope you can come up with an answer.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 22 2:02 pm

Dog Health > so confused

Madison- Ainsley

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 9:26pm PST 
Have to agree about the nail being broken under the nail bed. I have seen this at the clinic many times. Xrays are not going to show it.
I know you worked for this particular Vet but have you thought about getting a second opinion at this point? You have been there for the same reason without any answers, that must be frustrating to you and your cuteness pup.
If the nail is broken up in the nail bed your pup may have to be fully sedated once again and the nail bed really probed and the nail may have to be cut all the way back. The nail will grow back.
I do hope you will be able to figure this all out, poor pup, ouch.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Sep 10 9:00 am

Dog Health > Caval Syndrome?

Madison- Ainsley

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 9:53pm PST 
Has your current Vet done any blood work???? Any chest xrays? Anything besides suggest he give her a steriod injection? What is the steriod for??? What is he trying to treat, without diagnostics how can he know what is going on? Sounds like what he told you to "give her syrup" he was thinking she was hypoglycemia which can certainly cause big problems. Has she been tested for diabetes?
I have to agree with Kali, I would seek a second opinion right away. With the wt loss, vomiting, lethargic and not eating I would not wait another day nor would I consider giving my dog a steriod injection unless he absolutely knows what he is treating.
Best wishes, I do hope Lulu feels better soon.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 16 10:25 pm

Dog Health > K9 Advantix Side Effects
Madison- Ainsley

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 9:58pm PST 
I have started using Dr Karen Beckers flea product since last summer, non-toxic and natural, it worked great!! I also spray a solution of lavender essential oil mixed with vanilla. It smells great and works well to keep fleas, ticks and even mosquitos off the dogs, we started using it on ourselves when we are camping, wow! I was amazed that the bugs stayed well away from the dogs and us.
After losing a dog to hemangiosarcoma I have stopped using ALL flea products, yard products and cleaning products. I use vinegar to clean, get rid of weeds and so my grass is not the greenest, oh well! I have healthy dogs.
As a Vet Tech I have seen my share of reactions to all the flea products, whether it is the subQ applications or the ones that are taken internally (those I would never use). Reations ranging from rashes, burns, welts to vomiting, diarrhea, neurological damage, seizures (especially in cats) and upper respiratory problems.
Best wishes finding what works best for your pup.
dog
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Apr 12 1:10 pm

Food & Nutrition > Larry the Cable Guy treats

Madison- Ainsley

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 8:10pm PST 
If it does not state sourced and made in the USA then I would doubt if the ingredients are from the US, but sourced somewhere else such as China and then sent to the US to be made up.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 6 9:50 am

Raw Food Diet > I'm finally seeing those famous raw-fed poops!

Madison- Ainsley

Barked: Sat Mar 2, '13 7:07pm PST 
so happy to see that I am not the only fur-mom that examines their dogs poohs and gets excited about non-smelly, well formed poohs. I even look at other dogs poohs and find myself commenting "wow! they must be feeding beneful or some other keyrappppyyyy...food since it is full of colors" or "Ewwww!!! that dog just ate whole corn." Now all my friends who are raw feeders are starting to do the same thing. Oh no, we are pooh snobs along with being food snobs.big laugh
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 2 7:07 pm

Dog Health > Hernia after surgery

Madison- Ainsley

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 8:39pm PST 
I would definately take him back to the Vet as soon as you can. You stated that he is having prostrate problems, is this what the surgery was for?
If he is straining he could certainly cause the internal sutures to break and cause a hernia.
Is he having a reaction to the sutures, quite a few dogs as well as humans can have adverse reactions to sutures causing irritation, swelling, infection as well as the sutures not being as strong as needed.
I hope he feels better soon.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 20 8:39 pm

Dog Health > Need HELP- Potential GI Obstruction
Madison- Ainsley

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 9:02pm PST 
Umm..cerenia and a possible GI obstruction, does not make sense. I would consider taking your pup to the Vet if any of his symptoms continue, the main reason is that you are possibly suspecting an obstruction.
Did the Banfield Vet get some scout xrays? Any other blood work?
I hope it is just a case of gastroenteritis which will usually just last a short while.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 18 9:02 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.